Dzul Ha (MoneyBar) or Chankanaab for Snorkeling?

CapeFearCruiser

Hello,

I will be in Cozumel in a week and a half. We were planning on going snorkeling at Dzul to save money (and have also read that snorkeling is good there). I have also read Chankanaab has great snorkeling...but $12 a person adds up. Doesn't sound like much but when you have 3 other excursions on different islands it does!:rolleyes:

Any opinions on which one is better for snorkeling? We don't care about sunbathing so the beach doesn't have to be nice, and we don't care about bells and whistles. Just want to see a lot of fish and clear water!

Thanks,

Tara

Dzul has very good snorkeling close in, but bring surf boots to walk out over the rocky coral shore (a good sign for good close in snorkeling). Some recent reviews say under the new owners (Monkey Bar) the beach and ameneties have gone downhill. Another good beach for snorkeling is Playa Cornoa Beach Club just south of Chankanaab on the same stretch of shoreline. At one time there wasn't a cover charge, just had to buy something if you wanted to use a table or umbrella. And they have a sand bag trail out over the coral.

Thank you!

I had my mind set on Dzul Ha but now I am leaning towards Playa Corana. I researched it for a bit and a lot of locals recommened this beach out of all the others for snorkeling. They also said the current is better at Playa Corona vs Dzul Ha.

We have snorkel fins but do not own any watershoes. Is that going to be an issue? I really would like to rent a car for the day to explore the island. Has anyone ever done that and if so what are prices like? Thanks!

Oh, I also found this link to coupons...$2 off entrance fee to Chankanaab Park for those who are considering going there. Lots of other food/bevege coupons on the island as well.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/COUPONS

Hope this works!

Tara

You cnn pick up a cheap pair of water shoes at WalMart or Target.

Renting a car is very doable. There's a fairly recent thread on this board of cruisers who rented cars. Gives you a lot of flexibility. The road is very good. And good maps are available from the rental agencies who have offices at the piers. I think Cozumelinsider gives more details on which agencies are where. Just have a "designated driver" if you're drinking.

• 1 month later...
Thank you!

I had my mind set on Dzul Ha but now I am leaning towards Playa Corana. I researched it for a bit and a lot of locals recommened this beach out of all the others for snorkeling. They also said the current is better at Playa Corona vs Dzul Ha.

We have snorkel fins but do not own any watershoes. Is that going to be an issue? I really would like to rent a car for the day to explore the island. Has anyone ever done that and if so what are prices like? Thanks!

Oh, I also found this link to coupons...$2 off entrance fee to Chankanaab Park for those who are considering going there. Lots of other food/bevege coupons on the island as well.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/COUPONS

/

Hope this works!

Tara

Where did you end up going?? My sister wants to snorkel and we are leaning towards Chankanaab or Dzul Ha

Archived