alternate transport florence to livorno

cruise kitty

We will dock in Livorno on Dec. 1st from 7 to 7. We plan on taking the train into Florence, we already have our museums booked, and day planned, however, we understand in order to be safe we have to be on the train that returns around 3:35. My question is, are there any other options that would allow us to stay later, maybe a taxi so we could leave at 4 or 4:30? (ship leaves at 7:00) Any ideas would be appreciated.

We will dock in Livorno on Dec. 1st from 7 to 7. We plan on taking the train into Florence, we already have our museums booked, and day planned, however, we understand in order to be safe we have to be on the train that returns around 3:35. My question is, are there any other options that would allow us to stay later, maybe a taxi so we could leave at 4 or 4:30? (ship leaves at 7:00) Any ideas would be appreciated.

Keep in mind that you are looking at a 1½ hour drive to the port (if not longer) from Firenze. Your ship leaves at 7pm, which means you should be on-board by 6:30pm. Backing that up, you must hit the Livorno train station by 5:30pm-6pm and hope that you have luck with the taxis.

A taxi from Firenze will be very expensive!

Sorry about the Firenze (having lived in Italy for 3 years, Florence in my mind is Firenze).

I second that. Plan to take the train and have enough Euros in hand should you need a taxi. However it will be VERY expensive. Other option may be to just take the ship's tour "Florence on Your Own" if it is offered. You'll be able to take the bus to the city and back and perhaps have a few more hours in Florence.

Cruise lines usually sell dock to Florence round trip bus transfers. Check on their website or when on board. It's called "Florence On your own" or similar. Unfortunately cost is about $100+ pp. Port of Livorno is not the best for train station access. If you are lucky you can get a cab from dock to station for about 20 euros and catch 8:11 train (arrives Florence in around 9:30). You latest return should 15:27. Trains in Italy are not always on time and sometimes break down (happened to me twice resulting in 30 min to 1 hr delays, both times on regional trains). Also it may not be easy to get a cab on the way back; it that case hop on #1 bus and get off at Duome/Piazza Grande. Cruise shuttles operate from there or you can get cab. Round trip train from Livirono to Florence is under 14 euros

Archived