Running the Gauntlet

cpacheco212121

It has been 2 weeks since i came back from my cruise on the Destiny to ocho rios and caymans. I was looking at the pixs of dunns river and was thinking hoow when you exit there are a million people there trying to sell you things one after another.(it was annoying but i live in ny so you get used to it). I called it The Gauntlet. So my question is what other ports will i encounter this at?

Progress, ME! The beach in Progresso is jam packed with folks trying to sell their wares. They even **** out their kids! (Well, not in the traditional sense! They have little kids out selling handi-crafts, souvenirs, etc.) And, it works, too. It's so hard to tell a beautiful little (like 8 or 9 year old) girl that you're not interested in the pretty little silver bracelets she's trying to show you. However, if you bought one $3 thing from each pretty little kid who approached you, you'd be out a couple mil by the time you got back on the boat! ;)

Honduras and Dominica also push kids to ask for monies and to walk along with you looking for handouts, but the gauntlet, as I have referred to the top of Dunn's River falls too, is all sales and quite a relief to get through, they don't stop. Probably the reason I don't go there very often.

Montego Bay, Jamaica is really bad. They talk on and on about their products, even after you say no thank you. When you finally walk in another direction they follow you and start talking mean and dirty, thinking that will cower you into buying something. I just kept walking, but it was very public (lots of cruisers and "publice officials") where we were and they backed off. Don't go places alone, only in a group, the larger the better. In fact, if I don't go back to MB it will not hurt my feelings.

The worst place for me was RCCL's private beach in Hispaniola (I can't remember the name right off-hand). We went to their market, my son collects masks and I was asking a vendor on a price for one. I swear, I turned my back on my son (holding his hand) for all of 30 seconds to talk to the vendor when I hear this panicked cry for help from my son. I turn around and the other vendors were putting jewelry on him, t-shirts, hats, shoving knickknacks in his other hand. I started taking everything off him and tried to hand it back to the vendors, who wouldn't take it back. I finally just dropped everything on the ground, picked up my son (who was 10 and not light) and walked away.

I was seriously po'd at the time but now it's a "funny" story we tell everyone about our cruise experience. Oh, and we did end up getting a great mask, along with some other "hand" carved items for really good prices. :D

Archived