What currency required ?

swoggy

Could some of you seasoned travellers give me advice on the currency I should take on a forthcoming Holiday. Travelling on P&O's Arcadia for the Christmas and New Year Hols I will be taking in the following Caribbean Islands - Antigua, Tortola, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Vincent and Barbados.

Some use Eastern Caribbean $, I think its Barbados and Tortola that have their own ( I don't have the list here with me) but lots of posts mention using the US$.

Can you please tell me what experience you have had at these destinations and whether it works out better to use the local money - or just change £Sterling to 1 Currency (US$) that are accepted at all locations. I guess changing money is not best done on board ship but which ever currency you recommend me using should I get it in UK or on each island.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Just take American dollars all islands use this currency. Just make sure that you ask if items are priced in American Dollars and ask for your change in American Dollars also, Take small notes like 1 dollar bills for tips etc.

Shops like M&S have good rates for the American Dollar we keep an eye on the exchange rate and then buy. Also look at this web site for rates. http://www.fairfx.com I have used this several times and they are very good.

Don't even worry about taking anything...just change what you need on the ship..charged to your account at reasonable rates, usually. Some Caribbean islands , like Barbados , have their own currency, others share one like EC$. I would just get the appropriate currency for the stop onboard, failing that use $US. If you do use $US, as stated,make sure you know the exchange rate & which $ you are quoted in..particularly taxis...for instance the $BDS (barbados dollar) exchange rate is fixed at 2 to 1 against the $US...1x$US= 2x$BDS so it could get expensive!!

We have always taken US$, they are accepted everywhere. We take plenty of small ($1 and $5) bills for tips, taxis, drinks etc. You will also be able to use your credit card for larger purchases (usually over $10) in shops. We have booked independent tours on St. Lucia and St. Kitts and they will want $65 each in cash at the end of the trip, as well as the obligatory (for my husband!) souvenir T-shirt.

You can also draw cash at an ATM on the islands. There will be a choice of currencies available, e.g. on St. Maarten you could draw US$ or euros.

Carol x

Don't forget currency is available on the ship charged to your account, reasonable rates & they will re-credit what you don't use. TIP...you could draw cash for tips this way.

They will re-credit if it is in note form...coins they will not take. They did this on Ventura to Bruges. We took Euros out on the ship and when we came back onboard, the note they put back on our cruise card but coins were a no-no.

J x

Don't think a few coins will break the bank!

Well when it adds up to a few dollers and the exchange rate is good it can make a difference. I came back from Bruges with 11 euros in coins and could i get it back....nope...so now i'm stuck with euros and i never go to Europe lol

CK x

Well when it adds up to a few dollers and the exchange rate is good it can make a difference. I came back from Bruges with 11 euros in coins and could i get it back....nope...so now i'm stuck with euros and i never go to Europe lol

CK x

You are going to Cobh next year. You can spend them there.

:)

You are going to Cobh next year. You can spend them there.

:)

I won't be getting off the ship in Ireland, I'm not really intrested in anything there as I'm cruising for the ship not the place, same as i did for Ventura, only thing that i wanted to do in Bruges was climb the bell tower which i did lol

Besides i gave them to a friend of mine the other day who was off to Spain and needed some change for when he got there.

CK x

Archived