Bringing own laptop on board? Internet access? Iphones?

imawestie

Can anyone tell me about internet access on the Spirit if you are bring your own laptop on board? How much do you pay to use it? Anyone know how your iphones would work? I'm assuming if they do work then roaming rates would apply. Any insight you could offer would be helpful--thanks!

I've never been on the Spirit, but NCL's internet pricing is on their web site, here:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=InternetCafe

The Spirit's deck plans don't show internet access in the staterooms; IF that's the case (not saying it is), you'll need to take your laptop to the ship's internet cafe to get on line.

As for using a cell phone on board while at sea, check out this web site:

http://www.cellularatsea.com/roaming.htm

When you're in port outside the USA, you'll be dealing with your carrier's international roaming rates. (Before you leave, call your carrier to be sure you are set up for international calling/pricing.)

Be very careful with an iPhone, because unless you switch your "push" and "wifi" and other things like location services to "off," you may not think you are using the phone abroad but in fact it will be in use checking for new emails, etc., and you could come home to a huge and unexpected bill. Google using iPhones abroad and you'll learn a lot more. (And apologies if you already knew this, I wasn't sure from your post.)

Internet access is generally $.70 - $.40/min depending upon the plan you purchase. It is generally slower than dial-up, sometimes not working at all. Your iPhone will work at about $2.50 on board but you have to call AT&T ahead of time (I think) to enable international roaming. You need to be sure to turn data roaming off or you could get hit with a multi-hundred/thousand dollar charge for accidently roaming on somebody else's data network. Check out the AT&T site for exact instructions on what to do.

You do not have to call in advance to enable intl roaming, based on our handful of cruises. To get discounted rates in some countries, you do need to signup. If only a few calls, probably not worth it.

Phone calls at sea will be $2.50 a minute for most carriers. In the case of the ihphone, as mentioned above, turn off the WIFI and ROAMING DATA or you could get into trouble. My daughter was in the airport in Costa Rica and in two hours ran up a $340 data bill.

Text message is $.50

Phone calls at sea work just like at home.

There will be some wireless for laptop in certain areas. ALWAYS carry an ethernet cable with you.

the above applies to almost all cruise ships these days.

New to NCL - see link below.

Anyone know how your iphones would work?

An iPhone, or any smart phone, will run up a huge bill when traveling if you're not careful. For an iPhone, you can:

1. purchase an international travel plan

2. place the iPhone in Airplane Mode and disable Roaming

Placing the iPhone in Airplane Mode turns off the radios, no data will be sent or received -- and no unexpected large bill. The neat thing is you can then turn WiFi back on and use either the ship's WiFi or a free/low-cost WiFi hotspot in port.

If you leave the phone in Airplane mode, you can not receive any phone calls. If that is what you want, then good. We leave ours on so that we get any calls meant for us. Has worked well on our all our travels. Yea, we get a call or two that we do not want, but hang up right away. Spend a few bucks, but knowing we are always available is worth the peace of mind.

The Spirit's deck plans don't show internet access in the staterooms; IF that's the case (not saying it is), you'll need to take your laptop to the ship's internet cafe to get on line.

As I recall, only suites on the Spirit have plug-in ethernet access. WIFI was available (for applicable fees, of course) in most public lounges in addition to the internet cafe.

AT&T phones (iphone unless yours is jailbroken and you're using a different provider.) will incur a $19.97 per MEGABYTE of data sent/received! That's a terrific amount of money. At the very least make sure data roaming is OFF. It should be OFF by default. If not you can be surprised what the bill will be as many apps "call home" without you knowing.

Wifi on the iphone will work just like a notebook. Once your account is activated over the browser you can sign in using your username (first initial, lastname, stateroom number all together) and password you created at sign up.

The nice thing about iphones and ipod touch devices is you can snoop around finding open wifi hotspots. Some dining venues will have free wifi and you can often get a signal on the fringe.

They are getting smarter with this though. Some will give you a code that you can use while sitting down and it expires after a while. Once expired all web requests are re-directed to the sign in portal, etc. This keeps out the leechers. (like me!)

Cheers,

Norman

This probably comes under the realm of dumb questions.....so forgive me in advance!

In looking at taking the Netbook I just bought on our Med cruise, I'm wondering about electric current to charge it. I realize the cabin will have what I normally use but we'll be in hotels in Barcelona for a few days before and after the cruise. We did buy converters.

Will it be okay to charge it with a converter? I melted a hair curler a few years back on a trip to France and I can't remember what I did wrong the caused the problem. Should I have concerns or take extra (something?) to be sure I don't fry my brand new netbook? (which cost a heck of a lot more than a hair curler!)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Not dumb at all.

First off, you have adapters that allow the plug to fit into different type of outlets. Then you have converters to convert the power to what you need.

Many notebook outlets will can deal with the type of power in Barcelona. They can convert the power there into the 110/120 us type. But you need an adapter. Look on the "block" to see what it can handle for INPUT.

Of course, if you have a converter, you are all set anyways.

By the way, many phone chargers fit into this same situation.

We always to the extra day, execially in Barcelona. Did not have the converter once and the front desk had some, but they were all out. We just were VERY convervative in the use of the computer until we got on the ship, and did a full charge on the last day on the ship.

Thanks for the response.

I now realize we don't have a converter-- all we have are adapters. (I don't think I understood the difference before- thank you for the explanation. (That must have been how I melted my hair curler!). My husband bought a set that say "International Polarized Adapter Plug Set" for use with dual voltage appliances or converters/transformers.

So, now I need to decide if I need to buy a converter. I went to the "Product Specifications" page of the online manual for the computer and it says under "Operating Voltage" 100-240 OVAC. Does this mean that all I'll need is the adapter? It is a brand new computer, I would think it might be the type that can handle with just an adapter?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say look "on the block to see what it can handle for input"....do you mean look where the battery is?

Okay, I think I found what you are referring to for INPUT. It says INPUT: 19V ___ 2.1A (40W) it has both a solid and dotted line between the 19V and 2.1A but I can't do them in this post....thanks in advance.

I'm so lame on this stuff- thank heavens for people that are willing to help!

Okay, I think I found what you are referring to for INPUT. It says INPUT: 19V ___ 2.1A (40W) it has both a solid and dotted line between the 19V and 2.1A but I can't do them in this post....thanks in advance.

I'm so lame on this stuff- thank heavens for people that are willing to help!

The input is a solid line over dotted is DC and ~ is AC. You will have a power brick which is a switching power supply that can take 100-240VAC at 50-60Hz. This is universal and will work worldwide (except where 400Hz power is but chances are if you're in a location that is using 400Hz power you would not be asking these questions! ;) )

Your curling iron burned out because it was 120VAC ONLY and by using an ADAPTER you were feeding it 240V which makes it run too hot. If you have only 240V power and want to run 120V devices you must use a CONVERTER which not only changes gender (type of plugs) but provides the proper voltage on its output side. These do have a capacity rating that MUST NEVER BE EXCEEDED! Price of converters varies with capacity so it makes more sense to have a smaller <5A one for shavers and curling irons and a larger 20A one for irons and coffee pots. (which by the way you should NOT have in your stateroom! ;) )

So in summary it's IMPORTANT to note not just outlet type but make sure you're providing correct voltage to your loads. For convenience modern electronic (wall warts and bricks...the things with prongs that plug in and charge cell phones, camera batteries, ipods, etc.) will take universal power as previously mentioned.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Norman

Norman and GaryCarla,

I appreciate that you are trying to help-- but what I need to know is -- am I okay with just using the adapter? I think so from what you've said but I don't want to risk frying my brand new netbook. Sorry, perhaps I'm a bit dense but I'm just not an electronic guru.

Now I think I get what you are referring to-- the (in this case rather small) AC Adapter which is on a cord between the netbook and the plug-in. I don't have the capability of doing all the squiggly stuff- but here is what is says-- Input-100-240 V (squiggly) 50-60 Hz 1.2A Output 19V== 2.1A. Of course it has this in about 3 languages but I think I've gotten the English correct....

And just for the record, I was in a hotel room, not a cruise ship cabin, when I melted my hair curler. Not sure if that's better than a cruise ship, but hey-- I really didn't know and it didn't seem to cause any serious damage except for my hair appearance on the rest of the trip......including the ship time. Agh, good for their hair salon!

Thanks again. Sorry to be so lame on this stuff! BTW, I did call the help desk for the Netbook but I didn't feel comfortable when they replied "well, I think you'll be okay". I'm guessing if something went wrong and I fried the netbook the warranty would be void. Yikes, this I don't want to deal with!!!

Sally

This is what you need for the netbook:

Universal-Travel-Adapter_3118_r.jpg

The piece at the six o'clock position will work on most ship 240V outlets.

Staterooms usually have only ONE 120V outlet. There's a current limited one in the head for shavers ONLY. The rest of the outlets are 240VAC that run the TV and coffee maker if you have one.

Cheers,

Norman

Now I think I get what you are referring to-- the (in this case rather small) AC Adapter which is on a cord between the netbook and the plug-in. I don't have the capability of doing all the squiggly stuff- but here is what is says-- Input-100-240 V (squiggly) 50-60 Hz 1.2A Output 19V== 2.1A.

Sally

BINGO !

That is what I was looking for. It is saying it can take in/input from 100-240v. And then it outputs to your computer at the appropriate level.

So, all you need is the adapter to fit into the power plug in Barcelona. I am 99.9% sure you are all set. The good news with those power blocks. The very worse thing that can happen is you damage the power block. The computer is isolated via that block.

Really though, as long it says it will take IN at 240, you are cool. Your hair thing did not have that, so PUFF! Actually, some have a switch that allows 240, but of course you not only need the switch, but you have to turn it. LOL

Thanks for all the help!!! Now I can cross that concern off my list......

Appreciate your helping those of us who are "electronically challenged" . Now I have to look at my current hair curler as I think I saw when I bought it that it said Dual Voltage. Now to find the switch!

I was reading thru NCL's site (posted above) and was a little confused on the in-room access:

In Stateroom Access - currently available on the Norwegian Gem, Pearl, Jewel and Pride of America.

Access available via complimentary ethernet cable

which can be obtained from Internet Café Manager in the Internet Café during posted hours.

Now, I'm assuming you need to purchase the laptop wifi access package, but looking at their "instruction" packet, you don't seem to receive any username/password combo. It just says connect to the network MTNDSI and it should be ready to go. Does the "internet manager" at the cafe take down the laptops MAC address or something to "provide service" or something?

--rob

1 - Always carry a cable with you. Do not count on one being available.

2 - Logon works just like most hotels and other "public" places. When you launch our browser, it goes direct to their computer server. It then realizes you do not have an account and begins the process. It will offer plans, etc. for you to sign up to. You then set up a login ID and password.

No need to visit the internet cafe or see the mgr at all.

PS - the laptop wireless or wired access is all on the same plan.

You do need to see the internet manager if you are setting up a plan for a specific number of minutes, though.

Not sure exactly what you are saying, but when you first log on, it offers all the available plans and you just pick one.

The only time you might go see the internet mgr is when they run a special that the mgr has to input.

Just any fyi - I was sitting in the internet cafe one day, and the most often question was, "how do I sign up and get the deal?", and the answer was always the same. Just log on and you do it yourself.

In case folks don't have this link handy, this is the page on AT&T's web site with "iPhone travel tips." It's basically a to-do list of what features to turn off during international travel and other ways to make sure you don't come back from a trip abroad with a huge, unexpected bill.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp

Great post. An excerpt:

International data roaming can get expensive quickly.

For example, opening an email with a 5 megapixel picture in it, or downloading a 3-minute video on YouTube, each takes about 2 MB of data. The cost would be almost $40, based on pay-per-use international data rates of $0.0195/KB.

Archived