Bringing own laptop on board? Internet access? Iphones?

imawestie

Not sure exactly what you are saying, but when you first log on, it offers all the available plans and you just pick one.

The only time you might go see the internet mgr is when they run a special that the mgr has to input.

Just any fyi - I was sitting in the internet cafe one day, and the most often question was, "how do I sign up and get the deal?", and the answer was always the same. Just log on and you do it yourself.

It might have changed from last year. I had a coupon that I had to turn in, though, so I may have been confused.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who helped me with the electronic issues for our Jade cruise.

Just to let you know- I ended up purchasing the $100 package and then the $55 package as well. This was because I had a fair amount of work to do (teaching an online college class) and much to my surprise I had pretty good speed. I signed up with the internet manager for both packages and which came with a few extra bonus minutes which I believe he had to input (maybe 15 on the first and ten on the second? Can't remember!)

I tried to access from my room both wireless and with the ethernet cord but it really wouldn't connect, however I don't think they say it's available in-cabin on the Jade. By going down to the reception area I seemed to reasonably fast response times. I would say they were about 90% of what I have on my at home DSL. When they were slow, it could have been because of the online program I use was busy with lots of students and professors as that tends to happen at end of term time.

Several people were complaining about the slowness of their internet access. I think (again, I'm no electronic guru) that having a new netbook with almost zero programs on it (I don't even have Word!) might have made the difference on speed times. Just a guess on my part. One person that said he was having horrible response times also mentioned he had lots of games on his computer-- might that make a difference? My main goal was to access the internet to participate in my class and submit grades-- which worked really well for me.

I was quite pleased with the internet service and access overall. One day the satellite went out for a couple of hours but that happens to me at home as well. I was able to complete my work, submit the grades and had all of 4 minutes left over!

Thanks again to all who helped me on this issue.

Many people have "stuff"running on their computers and unaware of it. I have fixed many pc's that people were going to junk, when the GLOAT was th real problem.

When you add that and to a slower connection of programs trying to access to internet, you have real problems.

The converter plugs pictured in this discussion--are they needed on all the ships for plugging in laptops or charging cellphones? I had read that it was a good idea to bring an extension surge protector to plug in to the ONE outlet in the room. Does this mean there is only one outlet that is the standard 120v and there are other outlets that are the 240v?

• 1 month later...

I have a project that I have to get done while on vacation.

I've never been on the Spirit, but NCL's internet pricing is on their web site, here:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=InternetCafe

The Spirit's deck plans don't show internet access in the staterooms; IF that's the case (not saying it is), you'll need to take your laptop to the ship's internet cafe to get on line.

As for using a cell phone on board while at sea, check out this web site:

http://www.cellularatsea.com/roaming.htm

When you're in port outside the USA, you'll be dealing with your carrier's international roaming rates. (Before you leave, call your carrier to be sure you are set up for international calling/pricing.)

Be very careful with an iPhone, because unless you switch your "push" and "wifi" and other things like location services to "off," you may not think you are using the phone abroad but in fact it will be in use checking for new emails, etc., and you could come home to a huge and unexpected bill. Google using iPhones abroad and you'll learn a lot more. (And apologies if you already knew this, I wasn't sure from your post.)

Considering the price of the packages I really don't want to be slow to send/read mail. Would the internet cafe be faster that wifi on my laptop or should it be the same. (laptop is fairly new and little on it so don't take that into consideration)

thanks,

Paddy Anne

So let me see once again if I have this straight - if its in airplane mode you cannot receive call. (Droid - smartphone)

If I turn off the Data Roaming - I will still be able to recieve and make calls and possibly sent a text?? (Texts are 50 cents a text) emails on my phone last year where 20 cents an email, which i though was great. If I try to email on my Droid does the data roaming need to be on??

Also if I buy some internet minutes I will be able to use the ships WiFi on my phone and not have a hugh bill?? This whole thing is worrying me because I have to stay in touch. So sorry for all the dumb questions - I just want to be clear on this.

I would bring my laptop, but I don;t want anymore to lug along - I try to pack lite but it never works....

Archived