Caribbean restaurant ideas?

Kate-AHF

We are sailing on the Legend on 1 March 2010, and I'm seeking suggestions for restaurant lunches on some of the islands we will be visiting. I've planned a couple of beach days, with beach stand conch fritter and a margarita type lunches - but on some islands we'd like to experience some of the better local fare.

I've had some ideas....

In St. Kitts, Stone Walls or Serendipity.

In St. Bart’s: Trois Forces or Wall House.

Deshaies, Guadaloupe – am thinking about a trip to the Botanical Gardens with lunch back in Deshaies at Le Karacoli.

No ideas for Antigua (which may become a beach day), or St. Martin.

I'd love comments on the places I mention, or any new ideas.

You may have done this already but be sure to post these questions on the Caribbean Ports of Call Board.

I wish I could help but my wife and I prefer to eat our lunches on the Seabourn ships, wherever possible. After all, their food is wonderful and probably much better than one could have on one of the islands. I understand that might not be possible if one is spending all day off the ship.

Keith

Hi Keith -

Thank you for the thought. I also agree that the cuisine on the ship is first rate. But we live in a very rural area (a virtual desert for a foodie....I have to mailorder mortadella for instance and even something as common as arugula is over an hour away), and travel is really our only outlet for decent food. So, we like to try as much "new and different" as possible.

I had considered posting on the individual ports of call boards, but felt a little uncomfortable. There are so many nice folks on those boards that are really trying to save everywhere possible so that they can have a good vacation with their families. I wasn't sure how a call for "what are the REALLY nice restaurants in X" would be received.

I think that there is a chat board on either Frommer's or Fodor's that has a "foodie" fan base. I'll take a look-see there and pose a ? or two. I just wish the shelf-life of a good restaurant wasn't so short. It makes it hard to find out who's doing what that's interesting....in real tme.

Thanks again,

Kate

My opinion..but I have lived in the Carib. for many years..and traveled the islands. I would not call them a food experience. Beyond the conch delights...or on our island of Grand Cayman..we had some lovely turtle burgers..etc....I think that as you have been recomended...enjoy the islands..and dine on the ship..Lola

Just to give you another point of view, I have lived in the Virgin Islands for over 30 years now, and also happily visited much of the world. I think the Caribbean has some wonderful food, particularly fresh fish prepared in delicious ways. I admit I discovered the wonders of fresh fish after moving here, but the preparation of a steamed fresh fish -- a grouper, yellow snapper, or similar -- with the local hot pepper put in the cooking liquid and slowly giving its heat to the flesh of the fish, is something I have not found elsewhere. Great meals aboard the ship are a delight as well, of course, but an occassional lunch ashore can be a memorable addition to even a great cruise.

Just to give you another point of view, I have lived in the Virgin Islands for over 30 years now, and also happily visited much of the world. I think the Caribbean has some wonderful food, particularly fresh fish prepared in delicious ways. I admit I discovered the wonders of fresh fish after moving here, but the preparation of a steamed fresh fish -- a grouper, yellow snapper, or similar -- with the local hot pepper put in the cooking liquid and slowly giving its heat to the flesh of the fish, is something I have not found elsewhere. Great meals aboard the ship are a delight as well, of course, but an occassional lunch ashore can be a memorable addition to even a great cruise.

Yes, you just described the delight of local fare..but..in our experience..you rarely get this as a tourist. We usually baked ours with the peppers..rather than steaming them..though wrapped in foil..steaming took place...serve with plaintain..and..et voila! Also..the spicy Jamaican pies are wonderful..but..not always available.

Well, I shall endeavor to be a traveller and not a tourist. I consider myself forewarned, but will still try some of the local restaurants o the islands we visit.

At worst, I will have stories of terrible food to regale you all with, and at best I can give you all some ideas for the next time you sail the Carribean.

Kate

Archived