In Cozumel can i buy beer and bring it back on w/ me?

spotter27

I read about people buying beer in ports and bringing it back on w/ them? Is this true? Cozumel ? Will they take it until the end of the cruise?What about costa rica and panama Can u also buy beer there and bring it back on the ship w/ you Do u have to hide it?

I read about people buying beer in ports and bringing it back on w/ them? Is this true? Cozumel ? Will they take it until the end of the cruise?What about costa rica and panama Can u also buy beer there and bring it back on the ship w/ you Do u have to hide it?

Everything is xrayed as it is brought back onto the ship. If you try to hide it, chances are better than good you will get caught.

I have bought beer at several ports and have not had it taken. I just put it through the x ray machine in the bag I got when I bought it. I never tried to hide it, but I did keep it in the bag.

I did this on 2 different ships, at 4 different ports, but none of the ones you asked about. I dont think you will have a problem.

Am I the only one who didn't have alcohol taken when coming back from a port? :confused:

We purchased tequila in Cabo and when we got back on the ship, they saw it and handed it right back to us. :confused: I fully expected to have to surrender it until the end of the cruise, but no. Now I wonder why.

Just don't buy it out of the cooler/frig at the store. Buy it warm. if you make it through the xray, and want to drink it, just ice it down in your cabin. And for godsake don't go buying a sixer of Corona or Dos Equis or even a Bud or Miller brand. Buy something you can't get on the ship or at home like Indio or Leon in Coz or Imperial in Costa Rica.

Hi

Whenever I purchase beers, I always buy the local stuff. Like the previous poster, you can use the excuse that you can't buy it on board. I've brought back at least one 4 - 6 pack per port and to date (5 cruises, 3 with Carnival) and I've never had a problem.

In Coz, you'll find other cruisers buying hard liquor and standing outside the store, pouring it into a like coloured bottles. Vodka etc into water bottles and tequila into ice tea bottles.

Most of the security on-board know what goes on and seem to turn a blind eye to small quantities that are "smuggled" on.

My advice is SMUGGLE IN MODERATION AND YOU'LL BE FINE.

Everything is xrayed as it is brought back onto the ship. If you try to hide it, chances are better than good you will get caught.

On our recent cruise, I brought back a 6-pack (cans) of beer I bought in port. It went through the x-ray and nothing was said.

The people manning the x-ray machine are often very busy and I wonder if they are even looking at cans. Maybe they are focusing on the liquor.

I recommend you bring your beer back with you and expect they will not say anything about it.

I have been on four cruises with Carnival in the last two years. It certainly sounds like some ships/security protocals are very different. I have seen bottles of water and pop taken off people as they come back from ports. On other cruises they waved the bottles of water through. Try to take beer on but don't be surprised if you don't get it till the last night.

On my cruise, I had a 1.75l of rum. Security told me to bring it over to the liquor table. The way the ship was laid out, I had to turn a corner after security which meant they couldn't see me. The elevators were before the liquor table and I feel I could of hopped on without any consequences, but I surrendered it as I wasn't interested in drinking it on the cruise.

I was on Glory last week and brought 2 1 L bottles of tequila on with every intention of letting them check it. But, the line was long at that table and security wasn't watching me anymore, so I turned and headed for the stairs. A worker who was dressed like she worked in the infirmery started with "lady, lady" but I just hauled up the stairs from 0 to 3 (walked the rest to my floor) and no one else payed her any attention. I then put the bottles in my luggage where they stayed for 2 days when my tablemates & I decided it was time to bust into one of the bottles :D yummy!!

Lisa

As many have said, it is allowed to purchase BEER and bring it on at the ports. Cold/warm does not matter. When we first heard of this years ago, before we tried it my DH asked the security staff on the way out and was told "Beer is ok". For a few later cruises he asked as well in case it was just a fluke. Always the same reponse.

We always get a couple of 6 packs of local brews to enjoy after we have sailed.

Happy cruizing!

Archived