Websites for formal dresses?

TinaB

I'm going to be the Mother of the groom in August and I am looking for a formal dress. Of course I plan on wearing it on my upcoming October cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. :)

Any ideas where to look? I've checked a few sites but I know there's much more out there. Thanks!

Not sure of your size but I have found many formal dresses at lane bryant catalog, chadwicks, jessica london, pennys. Read some of the previous threads and see what is posted since the people on this board have great suggestions. Also check ebay, many awesome deals to be found there.

I got a couple formals on ebay. But I have had a lot of luck going to my local Ross store. I don't know if you have Ross in your area, but i'm sure you have something a lot like it. If you don't know what Ross is, it's a store where retailers send clothes that were not able to be sold in their stores, and Ross sells it for a lower price. I got a floor length formal formal ball gown that is SUPER fancy yet VERY pretty for $10!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am a MOB 9/4/05 also. Color is Platinum/silver. I am generally a walk-in 10 or 12. I did all our dept stores duing the Jan sales and found nothing I liked that I could afford ($500 is OUT) and that I liked; sale or new stuff. I am somewhat particular in not wanting to be "bare" (strapless) for a religous ceremony but need dressy for a dinner reception, want to get away from the heavy beading (been around toooo long), and most jacket dresses look like sacks w/o the jacket.

Got luckey on ebay last week. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5356196239&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT. Had seen this years version of the dress at about $400 in a local store here and liked it. Dress per measurements was very mis-sized. It is labeled a 12. However, The jacket is closer to a 10, the skirt is a 12 (but needs to be taken in 1 1/2 in. in the waist and shortened 4 in.) and the tank top is 4-5 in. too big. However, for $20 inc shipping + $50-75 in alterations I am home free. I can continue to shop and have a back-up ready to go to the tailor. I also found shoes at DSW on the 60% off rack in the style I prefer (sandal) in a designer I like (Nina), in a heel height I can walk in for $16. AND the beading on the shoes is very similar to the dress. I plan to continue to shop to see if I find something I like better but I am covered now.

Keep trying. The new summer/fall stuff for proms, weddings is just coming into the stores over the next 4-8 weeks. I was really lucky 2 years ago when oldest got married and got a late winter sale 2 pc dress that needed nothing but the tags cut off For about $50. Settled for shoes on the 40% off rack. Got the handbag (searching for a silver one now) on the 70% off rack (<$5.00).

Archived