First Time Cruise - Full Price for Infant?

jiqbal

Hi - this is going to be our first cruise on RCL - Monarch of the Seas during the Thanksgiving weekend.

When I bought my tickets through a travel agent that is popular on the boards, they charged me full price for 3rd passenger, even though my baby boy is just 1 years old?

He won't be eating the food nor using up any space, yet full charge for 3rd passenger?

Is this right, is this RCL policy? I would think under 2 year old would be free.

Some other questions I have other than this one are:

1. How is the process of tipping? So we make sure that we are not over or under tipping. We did not choose the credit card prepay feature that the travel agent asked us about.

2. What areas of the ship has our prepaid food, meaning the free food that is part of the cost. Is room service free?

3. I plan on taking water bottles for the baby and other items on the ship, do they have any Issues in that regards?

4. We've already did the online check-in, any other tips we should for the weekend cruise? In regards to the stop, were just planning on visiting Atlantis and thats it by paying for a Taxi ourselves.

Thanks!

They charge the same price no matter the age, in other words no age discrimination.

If you order room service between the hours of 5:30 AM and midnight, it is included, all you need to do is tip. If you order between midnight and 5:30 there is a charge.

If you eat at Jade there is a per-unit charge.

###

thanks for that info - sucks that a 1 year old has to pay full 3rd passenger price.

another question i have is regarding the tipping, do we tip everyone - how does this work? Thanks

If you want the baby free you could sail Disney, of course your fare will be about 3x's what you are paying on RCCL. :D

They charge because the baby is a loss for them. The baby does not buy drinks, excursions, play bingo or the slots.

As far as tipping goes, you have two choices at this point. You can prepay your tips on board which means they will add the amount to your seapass card account and the last night you will receive vouchers in your cabin to hand out to your room steward (person who cleans your cabin), your waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter. This is the easiest way as they will split it up the way it should be, the total is $9.75 per person per day.

Or you can do the suggested amounts in cash to each of the above. Drinks will already have 15% gratuity added so you don't have to tip them. The other people to tip would be the porters at the terminal. I do a $1 per bag and little over if heavy.

Have a great time

so who asks to setup the prepaid tips?

a few others questions, can i take 12 pack of diet coke on board as part of our luggage with our babies water?

You can go and ask at the pursers desk for the tips or they will have a form in your room about half way through the cruise for you to fill out and then drop in a box by the desk. We have taken soda on with no issue.

thanks Sue - I just realized monarch has the smallest cabins ever it seems.

i have it on deck 2 - oceanview, 122 sq is tight for two adults and 1 year old.

but now to luggage - we have a nice bugaboo stroller for our baby, how much luggage can the room hold

but now to luggage - we have a nice bugaboo stroller for our baby, how much luggage can the room hold

the storage is pretty good, though I have never been on the Monarch. You can fit plenty under the bed. You just may have to lift it a bit to get stuff under. Does the stroller fold? Sorry my baby is 21 so I have no idea what a bugaboo is?

Do you have the larger Bugaboo with the bassinet? If so, I would suggest taking a much smaller umbrella stroller if possible. The Bugaboo is going to take up a good bit of space, even folded. I'm assuming that you will have a Pack n' Play or something similar for the baby to sleep in, so that leaves you even less floor space.

122 sq ft is small, and there is not much floor space around the furniture. The ships we normally cruise on have a 204 sq ft cabin, and it's still small, and requires some creative thinking. We typically unpack our suitcases, and then put the empty suitcases under the bed. I haven't been on the Monarch, but RCCL cabins are generally pretty similar in layout, regardless of the size. You should have a closet, and a fair amount of drawers and cabinets around the desk area.

Storage space in the bathroom is a bit limited, especially with the extra stuff you'll have for the baby. A lot of people use an over-the-door shoe hanger (is made of clear vinyl and has shoe pockets). Hang that over the bathroom door, and put all of your excess toiletries in it. We do that every cruise, and it makes things so much easier.

It's okay to bring a case of bottled water for the baby. Just stick a RCCL luggage tag on it at the port, and it will be delivered with your luggage. Don't count on buying diapers at the ports. Be safe, and pack more than you think you'll need. Ditto on basic baby meds like Infant Tylenol and Motrin, etc.

Yes, babies are charged...that's RCCL policy, not your travel agent. Like someone else mentioned, he would be free on Disney Cruise Line, but you'd be paying triple the fare for the adults. I actually think that all of the major cruise lines (except Disney) charge for babies.

As far as tipping, you should tip for both the adults and the baby. Here is a good website to use to calculate your tips (but basically, it is a total of $9.75 per day, per each person): http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

You might also want to check out the Family Board here on Cruise Critic. You will find a lot of good info there relating to cruising with a baby.

Another thing I'll mention, although you probably already know this. The cabins (other than the suites) do not have a bathtub, just a shower stall. That's something to take into consideration when it comes time to bath the baby.

Have a great time!

Poor thing! You dared ask a "tipping question" and an "I'm bringing my kid onboard question" in the same thread! Yikes! Methinks the sharks will be circling you soon! :D

It does suck that a tot pays the full 3rd person fare. It is not that way on all lines though. Costa and MSC kids sail free (most sailings). HAL and NCL just charge taxes and port charges. Unfortunately RCL does charge the full 3rd person. (I feel your pain I just paid the full 3rd person fare for my 2yr old) I think Carnival and Princess do too. (Someone will correct me if I am wrong.) Of course this won't help you for your current cruise but in the future....

I do think it is a good suggestion to visit the family boards. You can get advice on everything from packing lists, car seats to tips on occupying your tot onboard. A must for a first time cruiser with a tot.

I will echo what another person said..make sure you bring more than what you think you will need. We spent most of our day in Antigua looking for another pacifier. Don't assume the islands will have any of the things your child is accustomed to.

Enjoy your cruise! Soon you will become addicted like the rest of us! :)

It's pretty simple really, ships are allowed so many souls onboard depending on the capacity of the ship, so a baby gets charged adult rate on RCCL as the baby is considered a soul also even though a tiny one:) and is taking the place of an adult passenger so all passengers are charged adult rates. Some cruiselines charge less for small children but not RCCL. Here is the link for family cruising and there's a wealth of info on there for anyone cruising with children. Enjoy your cruise! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

OP,

I just wanted to mention that if you talk to your waiter the first night, you will be able to get pureed foods for your baby. The waiter might send the head waiter to you to ask what your baby can eat, but your baby will get fresh food nightly.

When we were on Mariner last year, my niece had this done for her 9 month old. Also if your baby does eat regular food, there might be things on the child's menu that you could cut up small enough for him.

It seems to me that when my granddaughter was 1 she could eat some things with her fingers. I just wanted to let you know that there are possibilities for your son. Enjoy!

My husband and I brought our daughter on an NCL cruise when she had just turned one....because of the "auto gratuity" NCL has a policy where they do not charge gratuity for under threes...again that is NCL and not RCI but the staff on any cruise line really take such generous care with children and will do anything and everything to accomodate you.

***Oh yes, and #1 thing to pack with babies....bottle brush and mini-dishwashing liquid....****

Space is so limited.....I cannot stress how I wished I had brought an umbrella stroller and not a full-sized pram....we had quite a large suite and we still could barely get the thing through the door....let alone store it. With luggage and everything it can get quite cramped. However, I knew she would be more comfortable napping in her full sized stroller so if that is the case with you bring it indeed.

That being said you'll have a wonderful time- cruising with babies is easier than everyday life!

We had a 1 year old on the Majesty (monarch's twin) last year. Yes it was tight. They do provide a crib if you ask .... it was more of a pack and play though. Remember too that the room steward will be cleaning up diapers. The wait staff are wonderful with the little ones. We always had his dinner out with our appetizers. Also think of the messes they make with their food at a year old. It really made perfect sense for us to pay 3/4 prices but to tip for him as well.

Thanks for the info guys.

1. I will have to take the Bugaboo stroller, since the 1 year old is more comfortable in it than the umbrella one, plus he can easily go to sleep.

RCL hasn't offerred a crib, i doubt there is room for it though, we are just going to join the beds and have him sleep with us. Or might see how big the bed is and he might just sleep with my wife.

2. Great tip on the food, we'll see what we can find for him on RCL.

There is room for a crib. It's a pack and play type crib. The room steward would fold it up for us in the morning. It works well. They really work hard to keep these kids happy. On the Monarch do you stop at Cococay? If so, we packed sand toys (from the dollar store) for our grandson and just gave them away when we were through. The little girl we gave them to enjoyed it and I asked the mother to toss it in the trash when they were through. That was really one of our most enjoyable cruises.

If you want the baby free you could sail Disney, of course your fare will be about 3x's what you are paying on RCCL. :D

Have a great time

I know you were smiling when you said it but new cruisers shouldn't be misinformed here that Disney fare is 3 x that of RCCL. (Especially by a TA) We cruised Disney in January with all the family and I just confirmed with my daughter that their oceanview for 2 adults, a 3 year old and a 1 year old on Disney isn't much different than the price they are paying on RCCL this coming January for an inside cabin. Plus the Disney cabins are larger, the food is better, soft drinks are free and you can take your own booze if you like.

I think you can cruise pretty reasonably on most of any of the popular lines today if you do your homework, look for agencies who have group space or who offer OBC's, pre-paid gratuities or other perks, and/or watch for sale pricing.

I know you were smiling when you said it but new cruisers shouldn't be misinformed here that Disney fare is 3 x that of RCCL. (Especially by a TA) We cruised Disney in January with all the family and I just confirmed with my daughter that their oceanview for 2 adults, a 3 year old and a 1 year old on Disney isn't much different than the price they are paying on RCCL this coming January for an inside cabin. Plus the Disney cabins are larger, the food is better, soft drinks are free and you can take your own booze if you like.

I think you can cruise pretty reasonably on most of any of the popular lines today if you do your homework, look for agencies who have group space or who offer OBC's, pre-paid gratuities or other perks, and/or watch for sale pricing.

Well in my experience Disney is ALWAYs way higher, at least double to triple. . If you lucked out and got an cheaper date that is wonderful . But I still stand by my statement. I have clients in a INSIDE on a May sailing on Disney. Three people in the cabin and they are paying over double what I could get them on the Freedom for a longer cruise in a balcony.

Archived