Overbooking

WANDERER91

Pedbubba

Others were of course suggesting that it is common practise employed by all cruise companies.

I wasn't suggesting it, I know it for a fact. I've worked for a couple cruise lines in the past and have dealt with them long enough that I know it without a doubt. It's a typical practice for any line that uses yield management software, and every major line does. It's just too difficult for any line with multiple ships to effectively manage yields without the help of software. I can't speak specifically for MSC specifically though. Normally overbooking is not a problem as the software is sophisticated and usually gets it right. In the example of Carnival I mentioned earlier, the software was not adjusted for the new homeport of Baltimore so it had no historical data to go by. It probably used Miami which has a very different booking/cancellation pattern then Baltimore.

I still believe the problem with MSC lies in the company using several different systems around the world that are not linked "live". The inventory has to be manually adjusted and errors can occur. Hopefully when MSC in the US gets it's new computer system this Spring, it will be live with the Naples office so Europe and the US will have access to the same inventory.

Ernie

See this thread regarding an overbooking on CORAL PRINCESS.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=122878

As I stated, all major lines overbook, and some are better at it than others. Princess and Carnival seem to have the most problems (even then, it's not very often), and I think it's because both lines are almost fanatical about never sailing with an empty berth. They would rather buy off a passenger to another sailing which is not selling as well, then go out with an empty berth.

Ernie

Ernie - Thank you for the re-assurance!!

Overbooking so far as I am aware - and I have never read or heard anything to the contrary - was never a problem with MSC before this year.

It is NEVER good for people to be "bumped" from holidays - and in fact there is legislation to give customers protection in this regard in Europe.

This is so important when you have paid flights - which cannot be altered or refunded - and also work for companies who will not allow re-arranged holiday dates. As a result no matter how attractive a compensation offer is made it would be a non starter and expensive.

Your cruise gets real close now so I hope that you and Mum are going to have a truly wonderful time and enjoy every moment.

Your cruise gets real close now so I hope that you and Mum are going to have a truly wonderful time and enjoy every moment.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. I fly down to Naples, FL on Friday to spend the night at my mom's. We will drive over to Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday to board MSC OPERA. I have no doubt I will have a fantastic time. I'm pretty easy to please.

Ernie

Just an update. My TA called today and said she received our tickets in the mail. She said everything went fine with her call back to MSC. She simply stated, thanks but not thanks on the offer to get off.

We will be meeting with her Saturday to go over everything. I'm happy but still reserved. When I get my trusty little 10 toes on the ship I'll believe it. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from that point on.

Will be happy to give a review when we get back.

Regards,

Lilabell

Good News Lilabell - delighted for you. Just hope now that after all your stress that your experiences will be as positive as ours.

Wish you calm seas, good weather and a fantastic time.

Ernie - Hope you plan to board early a maximise every moment.

Safe driving and a GREAT cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Well arriving at the pier with no cruise does happen. we were booked on the Lirica for Feb 4. We had gty and was calling to see what cabin was assigned, and what time we could board the ship. We were told that our reservation was canceled and no one knew how. Since it was oversold we were out of luck. This means trying to change airfare which is sold out for the deal they are giving. We still dont know what we are going to do. Good thing I called or who knows what would have happened.

That's not good! Had you gotten your tickets and stuff and just didn't have your cabin assigned?

Did you book through a TA or on the net?

Actually thinking of that it's pretty scary!

What will you do?

Well arriving at the pier with no cruise does happen. we were booked on the Lirica for Feb 4. We had gty and was calling to see what cabin was assigned, and what time we could board the ship. We were told that our reservation was canceled and no one knew how. Since it was oversold we were out of luck. This means trying to change airfare which is sold out for the deal they are giving. We still dont know what we are going to do. Good thing I called or who knows what would have happened.

Well, you didn't actually arrive at the pier. Did you book this cruise through a travel agent or direct? In either case MSC (or any other cruise line) will contact you (or your travel agent) by phone or fax to advise of the overbooking status and what options you have. If you booked through a travel agent, it's up to the travel agent to contact you, not MSC.

Ernie

jkeller,

How terrible! We're booked that cruise and had a call my our TA a couple week's ago about the overbooking. MSC offered us an option but we declined. 4 days later we had our tickets. We've had our tickets a week now with a cabin # assigned. DO I STILL HAVE TO WORRY????

I hope not Lilabell.. My wife and I are booked on Lirica on 2/15 when you get off. Has anyone heard about overbooking on that date? We have received our tickets and room assignment , so I hope we are safe.....Dennis

I just spoke with my TA about tickets. As of last week MSC has changed their policy about mailing tickets to TA's. They are implementing a system kind of like e-tickets with the airlines. Unless you specifically request your tickets to be mailed to your TA and then he overnights them to you, you now just show up at the dock with your booking number and check in. Personally I do not like this idea for the obvious reason of: you arrive at the dock with your booking number and the guy says "Fred who?"

Anyway, I am having my TA get my tickets and he will overnight them to me. If all else fails and the tickets get lost he told me that as long as you have your booking number and all the proper I.D. just show up at the dock and identify yourself.

Fred

Wow, I am REALLY worried now. I just found this message board and thread. I am due to go on my first cruise, Opera 2/12, and received tickets yesterday. Cabin is marked GTY. What does that stand for? Should I be concerned? Should I call the travel agent, or MSC?

Please Help!

Yes, we were also asked if we wanted to give up our cabin on this trip and book one at half price on another. I really didn't want to change the plans...practically jumped through hoops to get time off from work, arrange neighbors & sons as dog sitters, etc. Plus my suitemate is going elsewhere for the month of March...didn't want to wait til April.

Yikes. Now I'll be worried about getting a phone call tomorrow!

Anyone else booked for 2/04 on Lirica?

Jeana

Having carefully read all of the posts I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. With these comments about free cabins to travel agents I am surprised that none of you mentioned the free cabin given for every 16-20 cabins booked in a group tour by most cruise lines. I think that this may be the free cabins that would get bumped, but leaving a group without a possible leader is not a good idea either.

The other comment I had was regarding the Lirica sailing for Mar 31 from Fort Lauderdale. I seem to be getting two different answers for space availability. One tells me it's sold out and the other tells me every type of cabin is available including the Mini Suite with Balcony. Any of you out there on this one and have you heard anything about it. Right now I have a cat # 11 on hold till Feb 11th

Archived