Tropicante bar and grill?

39august

We went last week and had a blast. Steve was fun to talk with about starting a business in a developing area and he made sure that we were well taken care of!

I can post some pics when I get a minute--prices were reasonable and the food was good. Wait staff was very attentive and made sure that we never waited for a cold beer all day:p

DH had a massage and said it was the best he had ever had. Other than the vendors being around constantly there were no problems. Would recommend it!

I would be more than happy to post pics but I can't figure out how! I will try to figure it out and post.

The chairs were fairly spread out but it wasn't isolated by any means. We only had 2 ships in port as the Carnival Dream wasn't able to port due to high waves the day we were in port. We had a beautiful view only steps from the water. We didn't feel crowded and walked most of the downtown area before we found Tropicante. Plenty of beach space for all from what I could see.

There were not that many people who went into town. Most stayed at the pier area which was much more crowded. I found it very interesting when I overheard one of our shipmates talking to a friend that there was no shopping in town and only at the pier:rolleyes:. Sure enough, I looked at the information given out by the ship and that is what the map said! Wish someone would have told all of the vendors and shop owners this information! ;) I am sure they would have a fit!

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone comment on this property in Majahual?

Took a group of 12 -16 people to Tropicante for the afternoon and met Steve and enjoyed great drinks, good food and a great beach. Storm moved in and Steve told us to move inside until it passed and he already had it set up. when it passed they moved us back outside and put all the umbrellas over us until the sun came back out and the service was the best I've seen anywhere. Water is shallow but you can swim if you go further out, there are locals selling their crafts and massages going on for $20. Good experience! the drive there is a little scary when you see what devastation Hurricane Dean left, you wonder if you will be OK, trust me you will.

• 1 month later...

Was in Costa Maya March 11 with the Carnival Dream, and I can't say enough about this place! :D

We took a bus into Mahahual and got off at the second stop (football field in the middle of town), walked about one block towards the beach, turned left and there it was. Super easy to find. Mentioned to one of the waiters that we had reserved four chairs and he whisked us away to four waiting lounges with cushions, right by the ocean. Our waiter George had a couple of beers for us before we even got situated in the loungers!

I went in to thank the owner Steve for reserving our chairs and had a nice chat with him. Great guy. Asked about a snorkeling trip and our waiter George recommended a friend of his. Fifteen per person for about an hour. We had some time to kill so I took my two boys with me. Had a great time! Can't remember the name of Georges friend, but just ask him. He'll hook you up! Put my youngest in a life ring and towed him around the reef so he didn't have to swim while he was snorkeling.

Got back from snorkeling and ordered more beers and lunch. All told, we had 9 beers, 4 Sprites (with cane sugar, not corn syrup!), a double order of guacamole, large order of ceviche, and a Mexican pizza for only $47. I wish I could have stayed there all day, but the Dream was leaving at 1500, so we had to wrap things up and get back on board.

If I could have stayed there all day I would have. Perfect, lazy, lay in the sun all day spot and Steve and his waitstaff made it really hard to get back on board. I definitely recommend Tropicante! Clean bathrooms too!:D

• 1 month later...

We had a GREAT time at the Tropicante Bar! Steve and Jorge were great! I had emailed Steve and he held 4 loungers and a table for us when we were there on the Dream for Spring Break. Great food and great prices on drinks and food. The whole family also got massages which they loved also. I can't wait to go back!!! My MIL had never been to Majahual and didn't want to leave there. They make a nice spicy bloody mary too. We need to rent a room and just go there for the week!

1943211120_CostaMaya(40).jpg.8b65379cfdfb72aed5cb82ca6652d85a.jpg

2021697808_CostaMaya(36).jpg.7c6ddf14b5f74864fff584d21999b500.jpg

874311331_CostaMaya(50).jpg.45488000708decb310dc89e0a822bc9a.jpg

Just got back from Costa Maya about a week ago and stopped by Tropicante Bar for the afternoon. We just found it walking up and down the beach area. The food is Tex-Mex and not real mexican food however the mini-burritos and guacamole were great. The mini-burritos were fried and sorta like taquitos. The steak tacos were not that good as they were steak, onions and peppers only and the meat was a bit dry. We had the above mentioned food and 3 beers and a margarita and the bill was $30 US. The beach is great with soft white sand and really clear water. Every table is under an umbrella and the vibe is really laid back. This place is really just a restaurant with sitting on the beach. There is a place next door doing massages on the beach for $20 a hour (if you talk them down) and tons of water sports nearby also. The chairs are spread out and there is a lot of room to relax.

• 1 month later...

Our group of 18 from the Carnival Dream spent the day in Mahajual on June 3. 2010. We took a $3/person bus ride from the port to Mahajual and spent most of the day on the beach eating and drinking at Tropicante. http://sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

The owner, Steve, was there and stopped by our table and talked to us several times. He was very personable. Our waiter Jorge was also excellent. Prices were great, buckets of 6 Sol beers were $10. Food was great with good prices. Steve has a internet phone at the bar and let everyone use it to call the states for free. You can talk as long as you like as he pays a fixed rate for the phone. He makes this available to all customers. Massages were available only a few steps away. Snorkle trips were offered right there at the beach but we didnt do these. Lots of vendors would approach but a simple polite " no thank you" and they were on their way. There are lots of these type establisments on the beach and along the malecon in Mahajual and possibly they are all excellent but we really enjoyed Tropicante and would highly recommend them.

Our group of 18 from the Carnival Dream spent the day in Mahajual on June 3. 2010. We took a $3/person bus ride from the port to Mahajual and spent most of the day on the beach eating and drinking at Tropicante. http://sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

The owner, Steve, was there and stopped by our table and talked to us several times. He was very personable. Our waiter Jorge was also excellent. Prices were great, buckets of 6 Sol beers were $10. Food was great with good prices. Steve has a internet phone at the bar and let everyone use it to call the states for free. You can talk as long as you like as he pays a fixed rate for the phone. He makes this available to all customers. Massages were available only a few steps away. Snorkle trips were offered right there at the beach but we didnt do these. Lots of vendors would approach but a simple polite " no thank you" and they were on their way. There are lots of these type establisments on the beach and along the malecon in Mahajual and possibly they are all excellent but we really enjoyed Tropicante and would highly recommend them.

Gracias for posting :D We are there on the 24th and plan on heading off the ship with our snorkel gear. We will be looking for a private boat to take us out snorkelling for a few hours. Then afterwards having some of those buckets of cerveza and beach time as you mentioned.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Steve was a great help when we stayed down in the Costa Maya for 12 days (not a cruiser but this forum was helpful). Told us where to shop and just had some great chats with him. Didn't expect it to be dead on June 30 though, the winds Alex left behind forced both ships on the Wed/Thursday to abort and leave for Cozumel.

• 5 months later...

Archived