MSC in the Mediterranean - Important Info.

hat776

So many threads regarding MSC start "The Ship was beautiful and spotless and the cabins were spacious and also clean BUT ......" and then start the complaints.

I always feel sorry for the OP as after quite an outlay and high expectations they end up disappointed and let down.

Today I saw this post and realised that almost all the complaints are because folk did not know of certain facts in advance

<< I got my main info after "studying" Fantasia info/reviews/posted by persons such as Amomondo and HeinBloed months before Splendida was sailing the med.sea.Again, I thank them. As to deck plans/interior layouts/pics/drink packages/menus/anything! etc...found these in the MSC official site......and without asking once here in CC or in other sites.

So, time spent "studying" before hand means being prepared as to what to expect once aboard.>>

The few points migh help future passengers sailing on MSC -

There is a service charge and an eur 1 donation to UNICEF clearly shown on the site -

Q:

Service Charges

A:

At the end of the cruise it is international custom to pay service charges to restaurant and cabin staff in recognition of good service.For all cruises, a sum of approximately £5.00 per person per day will be added as a fixed amount to all passengers' cashless accounts on a daily basis. This services charges will be shared amongst the staff. The service charges is discretionary and should any passenger wish to make adjustments, they may do so by contacting the guest reception desk at any point during the cruise.

Q:

MSC for UNICEF

A:

Starting from July 13th, 2009, MSC Cruises will support an innovative UNICEF programme to combat poverty and inequality by helping ensure disadvantaged children in Rio de Janeiro and São Paolo gain quality education.

Guests are also invited to “get on board for children” and make a difference by offering a small donation. This can be as little as €1 (or $1.50), which will be added to the bill at the end of the cruise. However this small donation, valid on all ships in the MSC Cruises fleet, is of course optional. Therefore, passengers may freely decide whether to increase, decrease or cancel it, communicating their decision to the Accounting Office before 22.00 of the last day of the cruise. This Office is at guests’ disposal for further information. For your convenience, should you give no indication to change the amount, the sum of € 1(or.$1.50) will be automatically debited to your final account.

For more information please read the informational brochure left in every cabin or go to www.msc-unicef.org

There is also an UNICEF logo - click and you'll see a video clip of the kids in Brazil.

Food is not available 24 x 7 -

Q:

Meal times

A:

Coffee is served to early risers on the outside deck, from 6.30 am to 7 am. Breakfast is served in the restaurant dining room from 7 am to 9.30 am, at the buffet from 7 am to 10 am or in cabins from 7.30 am to 10 am – in this case, breakfast is to be ordered from the deck attendant.

Meals are served in two sittings. Lunch is served at 12 noon and at 1.30 pm in the restaurant dining room and from 12 noon to 1.45 pm at the buffet on the outside deck.

Dinner is served at 7 pm and 9 pm in the restaurant dining room. Special diets can also be catered for, but must be requested when booking the cruise.

The above times may vary depending on the ports of call and excursions

On our cruise on the Splendida, lunch was erved in the Buffet till about 3.30. Afternoon tea 3.45 to 4.30 and there were also snacks at 12.30 am.

So - there is no Buffet in the evenings, room service is only free till 10.00 am, and between tea and dinner the buffet is closed;

There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the cabins. Tea and coffee are only free at breakfast. There is no coffee/tea served after dinner. There is no free water with meals. You can buy packages of vouchers for wind and water

Wine Packages offered were:

“Classic” 4 wine bottles+7 1lt mineral water.....79euro

“Superior” 7 wine bottles+7 1lt mineral water.....119euro

“Prestige” 5 wine bottles+7 1lt mineral water.....139euro

“Solo Bianchi” 6 white wine bottles+7 1lt mineral water ...139 euro

“Solo Rossi” 6 red wine bottles+7 1lt mineral water...139euro

Water Package:

14 x Mineral water 1 lt bottles.....20euro

Soft Package:

14 x Soft Drinks (cola, etc).....28euro

Many people have said that if you pay for an average amount of water and coffee/tea and snacks and add it to the fare the price will still be competitive.

Crib Kids summarised it all when they wrote << We have sailed many times before with large ships, but always in the Caribbean. To my surprise the Splendida, in ports that we have never seen before, including our flight to cross the Ocean, cost us much less >>

MSC is an Italian ship run the Italian way. - remember to compare your cruise to a vacation in Southern Italy . Food is Italian - the real Italian food Italian people eat in Italy, not what we usually find in Italian restaurants not in italy. For americans - don't expect to find a home away from home. Go with an open mind.

I do hope this information will be of help to folk new to MSC so that they will go on board with the basic info and thus avoid unpleasant surprises.

So many threads regarding MSC start "The Ship was beautiful and spotless and the cabins were spacious and also clean BUT ......" and then start the complaints.

TRUE

MSC is an Italian ship run the Italian way. - remember to compare your cruise to a vacation in Southern Italy . Food is Italian - the real Italian food Italian people eat in Italy, not what we usually find in Italian restaurants not in italy.

This is just another attempt to rationalize its poor food and service for which MSC is now infamous. MSC probably spends less on food than any other line and it shows. I read numerous comments from Italian Americans and well travelled others who are knowledgeable about real Italian cuisine. MSC serves a poor imitation. The MSC cheerleaders are quick to ridicule the critics as Olive Garden know-nothings when, in fact, the opposite is almost always true.

Italians are among the world´s most generous and kind people. Judging from the uncommon frequency of complaints about the poor conduct of staff and crew, MSC is not at all run in a way typical of the true Italian character.

Over the years, I have spent 9 two week holidays in Italy, staying at beach or lakeside hotels, used by Italian holidaymakers. I always stayed on 'half-board', which means dinner and breakfast is included. I can assure you that the food served on the Splendida is certainly equal to that served in these hotels. I imagine your 'well-travelled' Americans have eaten in a few Italian restaurants in Italy, but that is hardly comparable. Owl61 merely appears to be reporting second-hand information, which is probably not actually very accurate.

Hat,

Thanks for posting the above. Here on the board we've had many discussions about for the reasons for the discontent. And, as you said, the people who read up and perhaps those that had prior land based European vacation experiences came back satisfied.

Owl, with my cruise I really felt like I had gone overseas and not experienced Europe like some "bubble boy" surrounded by everything American. That is what I wanted - but perhaps there are more timid travelers who are more comfortable in American surroundings and American cruise experiences. That's okay too!

Regarding the the food, when we did a land based trip to Italy, we stayed a few of our days at an agriturismo hotel. The food on MSC was very similar (except that place had unlimited grappa to end the meal:)). On what cruise line are you going to get octopus or squid in salads and appetizers, cooked for over 1,000 people and done well? MSC pulls it off! They serve a niche. But, Hat is right, people buying the cruise should be sure it is the niche they want.

It should also be noted that MSC provides a very good value! There is absolutely no way I could have spend 7 days on land in the countries visited for the price we did this trip.

Hi All,

I think everyone has a preference on food. We've been on Princess cruises twice and to be honest, my DH thought the food is just average. It's hard to prepare fresh meals for thousands of people. The food will not taste fresh like the ones on land. Any authentic meals on land will taste a lot better than the most meals on the most expensive ships.

I guess you do get what you pay for. I am going in with that in mind. Thank You for all the comments.

I can also understand though that most cruisers want the same thing the Princess or other American lines offer ... but then, it's more expensive. I compared the same itinerary between Royal Caribbean (old ship) & MSC (brand new ship) and found that it's $1000 difference in price ... MSC is cheaper and I'll use that extra cash to eat good food on land.

chrtran = you can also use the $1000 to eat in a speciality restaurant on board. And buy lots of water, tea and coffee.

owl = I am definately not a cheer leader for MSC. If you had read my review you would see that there are quite a few factors that I prefer on NCL. In fact if there two identical cruises (fare, duration, itinarary) on the Gem and the Splendida I would think it over carefully and most probably choose the Gem as I prefer the Freestyle Dining and the tea/coffee/water available 24 x 7.

As for food - it's subjective. Everyone on our table enjoyed it. Everyone in our group booking of some 100 people enjoyed it. The folk on the tables around us enjoyed it. Friends who had sailed previously enjoyed it.

You're never going to find the same kind of service you find in America in Italy. No crew member is going to act like my buddy . To many people they appear aloof . An Italian might smile when he greets you but he won't carry on smiling through out the conversation.

Rude service is a disgrace wherever and whenever it happens though. I had only one contact with Reception. They answered me but with an expression of "how dumb can she be" - could be classified as insolent I suppose.

Our waiter from Honduras was glum and very very rarely smiled however hard we all tried to be friendly. He took our orders, got our food and that was that. However , he was very kind to my friend who has diet restrictions and very patient and helpful.

All I mean to say is this - MSC has certain factors that many folk, Americans in particular, would not be pleased with. So it's better to know about them before you book.

We all enjoyed our cruise and we would all sail MSC again if the price and itinarary were right.

MSC probably spends less on food than any other line and it shows. .

This statement really makes no sense. Do you have proof that MSC spends less on food. "Probably". What if they actually get the food at the same cost as the other cruise lines.

The food is served in an Italian way. For North American palates, a little seasoning may be required.

The gripes about the food remind me of the saying about Asian Food. Americans eating Asian food always are looking for the meats. Asians are looking for the sauce and vegetables.

Dang-It! Go with an open mind and enjoy a totally different experience.

We had a choice of either MSC Poesia on a Western Carib cruise or a Celebrity Solstice on a Southern Cruise. We CHOSE MSC because of the cruiseline. We are bored with western Caribbean, but the chance to take MSC outweighed that problem.

Yep, it's true that the service might also be different on the MSC cruise. I am opened to that too:)

I would like my kids to experience a different culture and environment. We are too used to all the amenities and luxuries in the US ... We normally do back packing in Europe. So this MSC cruise is probably luxurious already ...

Hi All,

I think everyone has a preference on food. We've been on Princess cruises twice and to be honest, my DH thought the food is just average. It's hard to prepare fresh meals for thousands of people. The food will not taste fresh like the ones on land. Any authentic meals on land will taste a lot better than the most meals on the most expensive ships.

I guess you do get what you pay for. I am going in with that in mind. Thank You for all the comments.

I can also understand though that most cruisers want the same thing the Princess or other American lines offer ... but then, it's more expensive. I compared the same itinerary between Royal Caribbean (old ship) & MSC (brand new ship) and found that it's $1000 difference in price ... MSC is cheaper and I'll use that extra cash to eat good food on land.

Chrtran,

Which ship and itinerary are you sailing?

I just booked on the Magnifica, July 24, sailing from Venice to Turkey & Dubrovnik, which we planned to get off at. We have 1 kid so it's free for the kid. I got a quote from both RC and MSC ... the price difference is $1000. I prefer to do MSC because from what my agent said, I can get off at Dubrovnik by sending them a letter.

I just booked on the Magnifica, July 24, sailing from Venice to Turkey & Dubrovnik, which we planned to get off at. We have 1 kid so it's free for the kid. I got a quote from both RC and MSC ... the price difference is $1000. I prefer to do MSC because from what my agent said, I can get off at Dubrovnik by sending them a letter.

I'm going to file the fact that it's possible to do this cruise this way (getting off in Dubrovnik) in my head. I'm 1/2 Croatian by nationality and have looked at Adriatic cruises, but a couple hours in Dubrovnik just wouldn't do it. Croatia has been on our hit list! And, we've somehow missed Venice in our travels - a start there would be perfect.

Hmmm...was planning on staying on this side of the Atlantic next year - perhaps Utah parks and later back to Nicaragua again...but the wheels are now turning.

Think I'll check the MSC website to look at cruise dates....

Chrtran,

Back from MSC web-site. Really, really interesting. Another question - in the past I've checked flight costs from Croatia and that's what's put a damper on that trip. Do you know if it's easy to rail it back to Venice from there? Would be nice to check out a town or two on the way back (and perhaps a stop in Slovenia).

Just for fun, I'm going to check tonight to see if that late May date works with my work schedule here. Might have to put off Utah again for a another year.

Buggins, have you thought about a ferry between Italy and Croatia? When in Split and Trieste, I noticed that there were ferries going between the 2 countries. It is very possible that there are from Dubrovnik too. (Beautiful city - absolutely loved it)

chrtran = you can also use the $1000 to eat in a speciality restaurant on board. And buy lots of water, tea and coffee.

owl = I am definately not a cheer leader for MSC. If you had read my review you would see that there are quite a few factors that I prefer on NCL. In fact if there two identical cruises (fare, duration, itinarary) on the Gem and the Splendida I would think it over carefully and most probably choose the Gem as I prefer the Freestyle Dining and the tea/coffee/water available 24 x 7.

As for food - it's subjective. Everyone on our table enjoyed it. Everyone in our group booking of some 100 people enjoyed it. The folk on the tables around us enjoyed it. Friends who had sailed previously enjoyed it.

You're never going to find the same kind of service you find in America in Italy. No crew member is going to act like my buddy . To many people they appear aloof . An Italian might smile when he greets you but he won't carry on smiling through out the conversation.

Rude service is a disgrace wherever and whenever it happens though. I had only one contact with Reception. They answered me but with an expression of "how dumb can she be" - could be classified as insolent I suppose.

Our waiter from Honduras was glum and very very rarely smiled however hard we all tried to be friendly. He took our orders, got our food and that was that. However , he was very kind to my friend who has diet restrictions and very patient and helpful.

All I mean to say is this - MSC has certain factors that many folk, Americans in particular, would not be pleased with. So it's better to know about them before you book.

We all enjoyed our cruise and we would all sail MSC again if the price and itinarary were right.

Hat--You shouldn't have to explain yourself. I appreciate your review an dyour heads up. And to rest that have already been on the Splendida, thank you for your reviews. i can't wait to go next week.

Buggins, have you thought about a ferry between Italy and Croatia? When in Split and Trieste, I noticed that there were ferries going between the 2 countries. It is very possible that there are from Dubrovnik too. (Beautiful city - absolutely loved it)

Wow, I'll have to do some research. That would be an easy way to get back. Even if they're just from Split and Trieste, transport to there from Dubrovnik would probably be available. Thanks, Amomondo

Yep, it's true that the service might also be different on the MSC cruise. I am opened to that too:)

I would like my kids to experience a different culture and environment. We are too used to all the amenities and luxuries in the US ... We normally do back packing in Europe. So this MSC cruise is probably luxurious already ...

bravo...we took our 10 year old son on Splendida a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it! It was different than the "American" lines we have been on but that was what we wanted to experience. He saw that we...as Americans...were the minority and that was cool. Our waiter wasn't our "buddy" as they have been on past cruises but he was accomodating and really helpful with our many food allergies. It was slightly more formal in a way and that was ok. We don't think it was bad...just different

Buggins ... here's the website that blogs all the research that I've done on Croatia as far transportation and costs are concernted is concerned: http://www.traveltripreport.com/about/croatia

Thanks - nicely written. Put link in my favorites for future referance. Didn't know Rick Steves did a book on Croatia. I'll have to check that out. Also, didn't know that it was as pricey as Italy - that's kind of a bummer.

I've decided to wait it out and see if the dollar strengthens against the euro a bit - the cruise price in dollar terms might come down then (Dubai crisis might just help a bit). Might also nix the cruise and just do a trip that combines Venice and a ferry to a land based Croatia. We've been to Turkey, although I wouldn't mind going back to see how much Istanbul has changed. Guess I just have a waiting game with the dollar/euro exchange rate. Thanks again for the info.

p.s. That cruise compete link on your website was really interesting!!! Having the TA's bid on the cruise price - very novel idea.

Archived