HELP! loyal NCL cruiser looking to try Carnival

kosoffj

I'm in a bit of a bind, we are pretty much loyal NCL cruisers (big fans so no need to bash them please). Booked on a b2b ncl cruise that may be cancelled due to engine problems. It isn't cancelled yet, but i need a backup plan and am looking at 3 Carnival cruises to at least make up 7 days of the first part. I'd like to put something onhold tomorrow as i am freaking a bit.

Looking at the Glory, Valor, and Liberty. We typically book balcony cabins on NCL but of course given the late date, we are limited in our cabin selection. i can get an oceanview on the all 3, but i can get an oceanview suite on the liberty. Any opinions on the ships or cabins?

We slightly prefer the itinerary on the glory (because our 2nd cruise on the Dawn - if it isn't cancelled - is a 5 nighter to gc and cozumel so the other 2 duplicate somewhat)

There are 3 of us (which makes cabins a bit harder), dh and i are in our mid 30's and our almost 4 year old son. Couple specifinc questions, does that sofa on the oceanview fold out? any thoughts on the kids club on carnival (if you could compare it to ncl all the better)

Thanks guys! Looking forward to SOME cruise by friday :eek:

I'm in a bit of a bind, we are pretty much loyal NCL cruisers (big fans so no need to bash them please). Booked on a b2b ncl cruise that may be cancelled due to engine problems. It isn't cancelled yet, but i need a backup plan and am looking at 3 Carnival cruises to at least make up 7 days of the first part. I'd like to put something onhold tomorrow as i am freaking a bit.

Looking at the Glory, Valor, and Liberty. We typically book balcony cabins on NCL but of course given the late date, we are limited in our cabin selection. i can get an oceanview on the all 3, but i can get an oceanview suite on the liberty. Any opinions on the ships or cabins?

We slightly prefer the itinerary on the glory (because our 2nd cruise on the Dawn - if it isn't cancelled - is a 5 nighter to gc and cozumel so the other 2 duplicate somewhat)

There are 3 of us (which makes cabins a bit harder), dh and i are in our mid 30's and our almost 4 year old son. Couple specifinc questions, does that sofa on the oceanview fold out? any thoughts on the kids club on carnival (if you could compare it to ncl all the better)

Oh bummer that is happening:( I hope it works out!

Glory is one of my favorite ships, I think you will enjoy her. She is new in Miami, just sailed from Port Canaveral for the final time this weekend:(

If you do love a balcony then I think you would be happiest with the Liberty, I haven't sailed on her yet but my friends have and the reports are good! You can check out recent member reviews in the review area for the ships also.

Haven't used Camp Carnival so can't help there, but there are many threads to search for info and opinions. The parents I sail with have to fight to get their kids to leave CC though:D

I sure hope it all works out well for you!!!

Sofa doesn't fold out. Back comes off, making it into a twin bed. Lots of activities in kids club. Your son should love it.

OP, I too am an experienced NCL cruiser and last year I took a Carnival Spirit cruise to Mexico and had the time of my life. I really enjoyed Carnival and the MDR food is much better than NCL and the alcoholic drinks are cheaper. I've preferred Freestyle dining so have stuck with NCL but Carnival now has Anytime dining (or your time or something like Freestyle.)

Don't get me wrong as I love NCL but I'd go Carnival in a heartbeat if the itinerary and price were right. I plan on many more Carnival cruises. They also give solo's a break in price unlike NCL. I think Carnival will get a lot of my business in the future because of their Single Supplement.

You won't be disappointed.

I think you'll be pleased with Glory, if that is the itinerary you like the most, and The Liberty is great too. Carnival can answer your questions related to sofa but I know you'll be pleased with Camp Carnival for your child.

Hope it all works out for you. Those of us who like Carnival just want you to have a great cruise with NCL or Carnival!

you guys rock! i was afraid i'd get "eww ncl?" lol

we will make this work :) that's why i want to reserve something on a hold tomorrow so we don;t get stuck. we bought cruise insurance, and ncl was very fair with the 5 night they just cancelled. and we are very flexible, we have a flight that puts us in miami for 17 nights and we are freaking using it :)

keep the opinions coming, and thanks for being so sweet!

Having the pleasure of sailing all three Glory, Valor, and Liberty.

I can honestly tell you I loved all three ! ;). If you prefer itinerary on the Glory ,then therein lies the plus :D. I luv COZ ;)

I still miss NCL Majesty :(

If you have 17 nights what about a B2b on Carnival Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale? The ship alternates itineraries so you shouldn't have to duplicate.

The big thing is Blue Lagoon- Carnival doesn't have anything like it :(

I haven't used the kids club so I can't comment on it.

Been on both the Liberty and the Glory. Loved both of them, but the Liberty gets my vote as I have sang her praise on numerous threads.:D:D:D

The ONLY thing about the Liberty that is not better is the pool loungers. I hated them on the Liberty as they do not stay down. The ones on the Glory were way better. I am a huge pool person, so this really stuck out for me. Again, the only somewhat negative for me:D:D

I can't speak for any of the specific ships but I can speak about Camp Carnival for you-from what I can tell they are essentially the same across the fleet. Anyway, last year my DD (2) LOVED camp carnival. I was nervous about it and it took some encouraging to go the first time. The counselors were nice and when we dropped her off they gave us a cell phone and said they would call if there were any problems. We picked her up later on and she cried and didn't want to leave-she had a blast! The next day she begged us all day so we finally brought her-we got up to the counter and she looked at us and said "don't worry mommy and daddy, I won't be scared! Bye!" and ran in.

They have a great program at night too-10-3 am they have pajama parties for the kids where they show movies-the kids can sleep obviously if they need it-and its $6 an hour-not bad IMO. During the day they have lots of activites for the kids including a build a bear workshop that you do with them. I can't speak for what goes on during port days as we didn't leave her while we left the ship, but the times she was there she loved it. She keeps talking about when she can go back to "school on the big boat again." Your son will love it-good luck!

IMHO, I don't get flinging crap at one cruise line, and then flinging it back. I pay no allegiance to any cruise line. I feel the most comfortable with Carnival at the moment, and I have sailed other cruise lines that I could bash here if I desired to do so. For what? I don't get paid by any cruise line to pump them up. Some people like apples and some people like oranges, get in line and take your chances.

I am a Carnival and NCL fan so no bashing from me. Love the Liberty and even though we have not been on the Glory or Valor, have read good reviews about them. The cabins on Carnival are slightly bigger. As someone has said already, the sofa becomes a single bed...no need to pull it out...just the back taken off. If the cabin happens to sleep 4, a bunk from the ceiling can be pulled down above the sofa and leaves a lot of room in the cabin.

The food on Carnival in the main dining is better than NCL and I have only been on the larger ships on NCL so the buffets are a toss -up with maybe a slight edge to Carnival. I had been of the opinion that NCL's was better but changed my mind after being on the Liberty in Oct. If you like freestyle, Carnival's My time is even better. They try to seat you with the same waitstaff if you request it. NCL would not do that. Never had waiting on either the Liberty or any of the NCL cruises when dining at approx. 6pm ....... always got seated right away.

Even though entertainment on Carnival is very good, NCL's is fantastic.

Don't have children young enough to use Camp Carnival but any reviews I have read, the OP has raved about it and how their child did not ever want to leave.

Whichever cruise you decide on, happy cruising!

i saw that they did cancel the ncl ship, im sorry they had to do that, but im glad you're being proactive...

the oceanview suite is a suite with a balcony that gives you VIP boarding, (i LOVE it, with my 5 year old... NO LINES) its much bigger than a regular balcony room, with a winder balcony, and a jacuzzi tub (great for baths for the little one). i personally think travelling in a suite is the only way to go with a kid, i'm not sure i could do the shower thing or line thing with my daughter. she'd have none of that.

Haven't been on Glory but have the other two. Liberty is my favorite so far. All are Conquest class so you should be fine with any of them. Good luck. :)

They aren't all Conquest class. Liberty is Spirit class and it gets my vote. I haven't been on the others but I have been on NCLA ship in Hawaii. Most people that prefer NCL is because of the freestyle and now that CCL has anytime dining, you basically get the same thing. Except some people get uppity about dress codes and NCL is wear what you want freestyle and CCL does have a dress code. Other than that, I think you will like CCL and the food is superior to NCL. Spirit class ships are the best in my opinion. Very easy to get around with no dead ends. Really great lay out. Good luck.

They aren't all Conquest class. Liberty is Spirit class and it gets my vote. I haven't been on the others but I have been on NCLA ship in Hawaii. Most people that prefer NCL is because of the freestyle and now that CCL has anytime dining, you basically get the same thing. Except some people get uppity about dress codes and NCL is wear what you want freestyle and CCL does have a dress code. Other than that, I think you will like CCL and the food is superior to NCL. Spirit class ships are the best in my opinion. Very easy to get around with no dead ends. Really great lay out. Good luck.

The Liberty is indeed a Conquest class ship complete with the big screen on deck.:)

Bill

I have been on the Glory & the Liberty and had a great time on both. Whatever ship you choose, I would love to hear a review when you get back and your opinions on how Carnival compares with NCL. :)

We have only sailed with Carnival and Princess, but once we hit platinum (soon!) we plan on branching out to other lines.

you guys rock! i was afraid i'd get "eww ncl?" lol

we will make this work :) that's why i want to reserve something on a hold tomorrow so we don;t get stuck. we bought cruise insurance, and ncl was very fair with the 5 night they just cancelled. and we are very flexible, we have a flight that puts us in miami for 17 nights and we are freaking using it :)

keep the opinions coming, and thanks for being so sweet!

Make sure you come back and tell what you think between the two. I've done both so I'm interested to find out how you compare them.

I have sailed both NCL and Carnival and love them both.

I also think the food is better on Carnival.

Carnival has more activities on board during the day compared to NCL.

With Carnival's anytime dining it seems to be a lot more like NCL now.

I don't think you will be disappointed with Carnival :D

you guys are great, i guess we are between the glory and the liberty, we are going to sede what and how long we can hold it today

they cancelled the 5 night before us that was to leave today. and the ship is still in PR. We can;t really plan for the second 1/2 of the itinerary yet as webooked a 9 and 5 night b2b seperately on ncl and even if the 9 night is cancelled, no knowing if the 5 night will be.

glad to hear from all of you who like ccl and ncl. we are spoiled on ncl as this was OUR first cruise at platinum level. but we will have fun either way and if it comes to switching it will be fun to try somethinkg new!

i'll keep you all updated!

We have not been on NCL. everytime I've tried to book it, for one reason or another we've not done it. But this is what my kids love about carnival over some of the other lines we've been on. No matter what ship they love to sail we've been on sailings with only 30 kids (Sun Princess) to over 900 kids under 14 (CCL holiday sailing) and I can say they have never had a bad time

Free mini golf

Free ice cream/pizza 24 hours a day CCL

Waterslide

Camp Carnival (they love it!!!!)

Basketball

Free Sushi (my son loves it)

Family scavanger hunt

Family ice cream eating contest

eating dinner with camp when they want

Good Luck and Happy Sailing

I took DGD on NCL last year and was disappointed that their kids program was closed on port days until 1 hour after departure. I believe Carnival has their program open on port days.

There is no blue lagoon, but, the Glory is one of my favorite ships for "comfort food." It has a NY Deli, Fish and Chips and Chinese take out. The sandwiches are made to order and at the pizza place, you can order calzone.

I think Carnival's food is one of the top two or three of all cruise lines and definitely top of the contemporary lines.

The cabin size for the 2 of you on Carnival shouldn't be an issue as all of the ships I have been on have larger cabins then my NCL cabins. I agree Carnivals food is a bit better but all the cruise lines have things that are better or worse here and there, just enjoy your cruises wherever you may end up!

Archived