Dining with baby

EugeneD

I cannot tell if you are serious about letting the child scream in the restraunt, I can only hope you were joking. My daughter was always taken out of a restraunt when she grew fussy. Even when she was older she was not allowed to get up and run around like I see alot of children doing. Proper manners should start from an early age.

I love this! I have never understood how a parent can enjoy his/her meal when a child is crying endlessly and they aren't trying to fix the problem. Sometimes fixing it means going outside with them. It's really unfair that parents would inflict a loud child on others.

I appreciate the OP trying to get the etiquette down before leaving. Sounds like a good parent and a good citizen to boot! Thanks!

My advice would be to stick to the baby's land schedule as much as you can, for your enjoyment and not to stress out the baby so much.

Felicia

I wanted to suggest going to the dining room and speaking to the matr'd when you board about the stroller. I would do this for MTD or a traditional seating. My observation has been that some tables can safely accommodate the stroller while others can not. We were once seated at a large table where only certain seats could be replaced by a stroller. We informally reserved those for our tablemates since their sleeping infant was in a stroller most nights. If you do this when you board, it may be possible to switch tables if you have a traditional seating or have you MTD record annotated that you will be using a stroller.

BTW - It is possible that MTD is full for your cruise.

Thge only thing that can be done, won't be done. People in the area should speak to the head waiter or maitre d about the child. The staff should politely suggest to the parents that they could take the little one for a walk. But we all know they won't.

On my last cruise, I complained about the screaming baby (I think he was a newborn) when the parents kept the door open to their cabin (apparently, we all must suffer) and after that first night at dinner where I was unlucky enough to have them at the next table, they got off the ship at the first port.

I said this already in another reply, but I am really appreciative of the OP who wants to not inconvenience others.

Felicia

On our last cruise I overheard the maitre d telling a couple with a baby stroller that the strollers were not allowed in the dining rooms.

Huh. How much was that babysitting again? Sounds like I may need it -- or hold her on my lap.. Is it in-room or on-site at Royal Caribbean, how do they work that?

You won't be holding up the other tables in the section, but you will be throwing the service team off by being on a different schedule.

The TA might not have brought up MTD because you are required to prepay gratuities. That means for all in your party. .

Huh. So fixed seating is more like a catered wedding (i.e. salad at 6:15 cleared by 6:30, entree at ...), while MTD is more like a restaurant?

I think you have a good point -- we may have been steered away from MTD because of prepaid tips. Are these all tips (the $11/day), or just dining tips, by the way.. Or it could be MTD was fulll, as another post points out. Either way, they couldn't find me in the system today ( seems I'm booked as a "group"), but I'll call them again. Thanks all.

On my last cruise, I complained about the screaming baby (I think he was a newborn) when the parents kept the door open to their cabin (apparently, we all must suffer) and after that first night at dinner where I was unlucky enough to have them at the next table, they got off the ship at the first port.

I said this already in another reply, but I am really appreciative of the OP who wants to not inconvenience others.

Felicia

I try =) But not sure it's enough. I'm not yet familiar with Royal Caribbean's soundproofing of their cabin walls, but I'm afraid closed door or not, you may have suffered the same fate.. the sound probably carries through walls.. At least with door closed, whatever does carry is unintentional -- i.e. unlike a school age child playing the trombone scale every morning at 7am (true story btw).

Those of us with kids were child-free at some point, and we do recall not being fond of others' crying babies (heck, sometimes we're not too crazy about our own kids when they're throwing a fit ;)).

LOL

You're right. When James is fussy, and won't settle down, I'm ready to sell him on ebay!

We sailed with James when he was 8m old. We originally had early dining. At that time, he was still napping 3x per day, and his latest nap was at 5-5:30.

So for the first few days of the cruise, we'd keep him awake and away from his afternoon nap, and he would fall asleep on one of us at the dining room table. See pics of this in his cruising blog at http://www.jamestulpule.com

But anyhow, my point is that after the first few days of this pattern, we realized that we need to eat dinner later, when James has had a great 5pm nap.

We asked the Maitre D, and he accomodated us without a problem. We got a table for 4, and just put the high chair in place of a normal chair. (hopefully your baby can sit on his own already. Otherwise you may need a bumbo chair to place him in so he won't fall over)

So we ate at 8:30, and James did well for about 60-75 minutes, then he started to get tired of the dining room. The other pax around us loved him, he was well behaved and didn't yell louder than the laughter of the people around us.

So like Michelle said, there is no rule that says babies can't eat at 8:30. You just have to do what works for your baby.

Huh. How much was that babysitting again? Sounds like I may need it -- or hold her on my lap.. Is it in-room or on-site at Royal Caribbean, how do they work that?

This is a great question for Michelle on the Family Cruising boards. Michelle's awesome !!

Oh I wanted to talk to you about your stroller.

What kind do you have?

We cruised with the Graco Deco Travel System (infant carrier + car seat base + stroller)

It was too wide to wheel into our cabin. When collapsed, it was too tall to clear the space underneath the beds. It was too wide for the closet. It didn't fold up into a long square stick like umbrella strollers can.

So hopefullly you have a smaller umbrella stroller that you can bring with you. Otherwise I can't see how you can get your huge stroller into your cabin!

In room babysitting is available for children over 12 months. Babysitting is available (if it's available, see below) from 8 a.m. -2 a.m. The cost is $10-12/hour payable in cash to the babysitter. Babysitters are crew members, not counselors. Sign up at guest relations. Do this as soon as you board. They will give you a form to fill out with your requested hours. There is no guarantee that babysitting will be available. The Crew members do babysitting in their off hours. Guest relations will let you know later if someone has agreed to fill your request(s).

Huh. So fixed seating is more like a catered wedding (i.e. salad at 6:15 cleared by 6:30, entree at ...), while MTD is more like a restaurant?

I think you have a good point -- we may have been steered away from MTD because of prepaid tips. Are these all tips (the $11/day), or just dining tips, by the way.. Or it could be MTD was fulll, as another post points out. Either way, they couldn't find me in the system today ( seems I'm booked as a "group"), but I'll call them again. Thanks all.

LOL - It is not as regimented as that. But once everyone is seated the service team seems to have a rythym to their service. If as a whole table you arrive later, not quite as bad as a couple at a larger table. But usually once they have the orders and the drinks - the service pretty much flows.

After ten cruises I understand your question about dining with your baby but you must understand that the dining rooms are very crowded and people sit near each other. If you baby cans sit for the hour to 1/2 hour without complaining bring him or her along. But if the baby starts making a fuss and crying for the entire time of the dinner; its best you eat in anther place on the ship. It is just difficult to have a conversation with strangers when there are babies crying right next to you.

What is wrong with kids in the dining room? We all whined when we were younger. :confused:

To the OP, have a great time with whatever you decide. No rules when babies are involved. Some folks just need to chill out and enjoy life in all the forms it comes in.......:D

Oh I wanted to talk to you about your stroller.

What kind do you have?

We cruised with the Graco Deco Travel System (infant carrier + car seat base + stroller)

It was too wide to wheel into our cabin. When collapsed, it was too tall to clear the space underneath the beds. It was too wide for the closet. It didn't fold up into a long square stick like umbrella strollers can.

So hopefullly you have a smaller umbrella stroller that you can bring with you. Otherwise I can't see how you can get your huge stroller into your cabin!

We have the Graco too! That was what I leaned towards, because it includes the car seat I may need on some excursions (even if I can't fully install, better than nothing). But -- I do also have the City Mini, which is really cool & compact & manuverable. Options options..

In room babysitting is available for children over 12 months.

Sounds like I don't yet qualify -- oh well. Another advantage of MTD (thanks again for those suggestions), is we could alternate dinners -- someone watches her while we eat, then we switch up. Maybe lunch will be our "group" meal together instead.

What is wrong with kids in the dining room? We all whined when we were younger. :confused:

To the OP, have a great time with whatever you decide. No rules when babies are involved. Some folks just need to chill out and enjoy life in all the forms it comes in.......:D

When you were an whining infant, were you in the dining room of a cruise boat?

When you were an whining infant, were you in the dining room of a cruise boat?

Not certain...but I hope I was...I love to cruise! and I love kids...in all forms. The kids are not the problem in the dining room. The parents who don't know enough to get up and walk baby around or out in the hall for a bit is the problem.....

Personally I prefer the whining infants to the whining grown ups! (No matter where they are.)

LOL because with a whining infant you can just shove a binky in their mouth !!! I don't think many adults would like that kind of treatment!

We have traveled with our kids starting when they were 7 weeks old. They are now 25, 24, and 16, so we have been traveling with kids for many years. On our last cruise (FOS in August), there was a couple with 2 kids who brought a jogging stroller to the dining room. I personally don't feel that this type of stroller is appropriate in a formal dining setting. In addition, they had no control over their daughter, who appeared to be 4 or 5. She never sat to eat (they left the smaller child in the stroller, and we never saw them give him any food). She wandered around the dining room, making some guests get out of their seats so she could run her hands along the railing that overlooked the dining area below. Then she proceded to run up and down the stairs, and eventually started taking the rocks from the planters outside of the dining room and threw them into the ladies restroom on the floor. Someone notified an officer who was passing by, who in turn spoke with the parents. The behavior continued a couple nights, and they were eventually asked to leave the dining room and not come back.

Someone notified an officer who was passing by, who in turn spoke with the parents. The behavior continued a couple nights, and they were eventually asked to leave the dining room and not come back.

Sad that it took them being kicked out to control their child. They make the rest of us look bad. :(

We have traveled with our kids starting when they were 7 weeks old. They are now 25, 24, and 16, so we have been traveling with kids for many years. On our last cruise (FOS in August), there was a couple with 2 kids who brought a jogging stroller to the dining room. I personally don't feel that this type of stroller is appropriate in a formal dining setting. In addition, they had no control over their daughter, who appeared to be 4 or 5. She never sat to eat (they left the smaller child in the stroller, and we never saw them give him any food). She wandered around the dining room, making some guests get out of their seats so she could run her hands along the railing that overlooked the dining area below. Then she proceded to run up and down the stairs, and eventually started taking the rocks from the planters outside of the dining room and threw them into the ladies restroom on the floor. Someone notified an officer who was passing by, who in turn spoke with the parents. The behavior continued a couple nights, and they were eventually asked to leave the dining room and not come back.

I'm glad that action was taken. Should have been swifter. those parents are obviously complete dolts. I feel sorry for the girl.

get out of my seat so a kid can run her hands all along the railing? I don't think so. "You don't belong over here, go back to your table."

LOL because with a whining infant you can just shove a binky in their mouth !!! I don't think many adults would like that kind of treatment!

altho, gives me some ideas for the packing lists on this site.

Scared to do traditional dining because you might get some obnoxious idiot? Or The Complainer? The answer is at hand!

*[ploink]*

No more obnoxious ranting!

Archived