Finally "bit the bullet" and went GTY - anyone else?

ekerr19

We won't be joining the guarantee club any cruise soon. One, it's not like we cruise a lot, in fact only once a year right now. Two, we like to pick a specific cabin. Three, we usually book high enough categories that our opportunities, dictated by the number of categories/cabins above us, is limited. For instance, we've booked an SS for our next cruise on the Prinsendam. There are only something like 18 S category cabins and it looks like even a year out those are mostly booked. It just didn't make any sense to take a chance this time and probably won't until we're cruising more frequently.

For years we booked specific cabins on Celebrity's ships because we loved the layout and location.

For our first cruise on HAL, we have booked an SC qty, hoping for an upgrade, but realizing that on a new ship and new line, we had no preferences, and would be happy with whatever we get, grateful for the sense of freedom that ignorance brings.:o

For years we booked specific cabins on Celebrity's ships because we loved the layout and location.

For our first cruise on HAL, we have booked an SC qty, hoping for an upgrade, but realizing that on a new ship and new line, we had no preferences, and would be happy with whatever we get, grateful for the sense of freedom that ignorance brings.:o

Many times, SC GTY is a really great bargain. In my opinion, there aren't any cabins I'd really be unhappy with. :)

Many times, SC GTY is a really great bargain. In my opinion, there aren't any cabins I'd really be unhappy with. :)

I booked my cruise late enough so that the only SC rooms that were available were the two handicapped rooms (no jacuzzi) at the back of the ship. We decided, "Hey, we can't get a much worse SC room than those two, right?" So we went with a guaranteed room.

It turned out splendidly. In fact, I wonder if they didn't take into account that it was our first time sailing. (Read: possible seasickness.) We ended up with a mid-ship SB cabin.

What I am puzzled about with our SC gty booking is that when we booked, there were 3 SBs, a half dozen SAs and a PH available. A few days after final payment was due, they all changed, overnight, to Closed status and have remained that way.

Cabins are available in every other category, so does that mean that either someone bought up all of the suites in one day, or HAL needs them to fill the gty bookings? Any guesses?

What I am puzzled about with our SC gty booking is that when we booked, there were 3 SBs, a half dozen SAs and a PH available. A few days after final payment was due, they all changed, overnight, to Closed status and have remained that way.

Cabins are available in every other category, so does that mean that either someone bought up all of the suites in one day, or HAL needs them to fill the gty bookings? Any guesses?

It's hard to say. I've seen that happen a few times, but I'm inclined to think it's probably a matter of numerous GTY bookings for a particular sailing - or it could even be a large group booking. Keep us posted on what you end up getting!

Laura, you can also book a specific SY cabin and still be offered the upsell. I know that's been happening at least in recent months as they seek to fill their higher level cabins with their already higher paying passengers and then hopefully fill from the bottom up. That way you'd know at least you're in a location you like if you're not offered the upsell.

And sometimes the upgrade fairy even visits you at the pier:) That's happened to a couple of friends of mine.

So you really can't go wrong that way:D

Laura, you can also book a specific SY cabin and still be offered the upsell. I know that's been happening at least in recent months as they seek to fill their higher level cabins with their already higher paying passengers and then hopefully fill from the bottom up. That way you'd know at least you're in a location you like if you're not offered the upsell.

And sometimes the upgrade fairy even visits you at the pier:) That's happened to a couple of friends of mine.

So you really can't go wrong that way:D

I didn't know that Heather, thanks for the info. At least we wouldn't be stuck with a cabin/location we really disliked...

Booked an FF Gty for our Oct 31 TransAtlantic cruise on the Rotterdam with the PCC in May (also on the Rotterdam) and ended up with C3330, with no upsell offers. I'm sure it's considered an upgrade because it is two decks higher, but we weren't too happy with the cabin because 1) being on the walk-around promenade deck, the window is heavily silvered for the one-way mirror effect (so people out on the deck can't easily see in), which made the room dark, even in the middle of the day, giving an effect much like an inside cabin and 2) the nearby door to the outside had a defective automatic closer, and so would bang terribly when people went outside. We couldn't sleep after 5 or 6 AM when the early birds hit the deck.

We had much better luck the previous fall on the Volendam Oz-NZ cruise when we booked an outside Gty and ended up with a B verandah!

You win some, lose some...

Archived