My "3rd passenger Dream dilemma"...

Counsel

Hello All,

We are booked on the Dream for February 20th. Here is my dilemma:

We really would like our adult daughter to go on the cruise with us, but she has been unable to find a roommate... :(

I proposed going with a "downgrade" to go to a room with availability to house 3 people. We currently are booked with an 8B on the "Upper" (6th) deck. We are talking about going with one of the cove balconies on the "Main" (2nd) deck. Because we booked almost 9 months ago, the TA says that I would have to pay current prices, which means I would have to pay an additional $360 for d/w and myself PLUS the $459 for her to have the "priviledge" to downgrade.

I really don't want to do this - but we are running out of time and ideas. I would appreciate any help and advice that you would give... Thanks!

Bruce

aka Counsel

There seem to be a few 8B's on that deck with 3 and 4 berths. See if the TA can do a latteral move and just pay for the 3rd berth.

You can check yourself on Carnival's website to see if your cabin might already be set up that way and maybe the TA doesn't realize it. I am in an 8A for this weeks first cruise out of Port Canaveral and the two of us were book in a quad....LOL...

Hello All,

We are booked on the Dream for February 20th. Here is my dilemma:

We really would like our adult daughter to go on the cruise with us, but she has been unable to find a roommate... :(

I proposed going with a "downgrade" to go to a room with availability to house 3 people. We currently are booked with an 8B on the "Upper" (6th) deck. We are talking about going with one of the cove balconies on the "Main" (2nd) deck. Because we booked almost 9 months ago, the TA says that I would have to pay current prices, which means I would have to pay an additional $360 for d/w and myself PLUS the $459 for her to have the "priviledge" to downgrade.

I really don't want to do this - but we are running out of time and ideas. I would appreciate any help and advice that you would give... Thanks!

Bruce

aka Counsel

I'm under the impression that your 8b has a sofa. Aren't the sofas able to become a bed?

Here is my suggestion....stay where you are and since your daughter is an adult get a 1A catagory for her. This would be an inside cabin for her that way you all the best of both worlds. Two bathing rooms and she can come sit on your balcony. There were some 1A on the upper deck still available. Plus you really do not spend that much time in your cabin.

I'm under the impression that your 8b has a sofa. Aren't the sofas able to become a bed?

My wifes first cruise was on the Glory, and she stayed in her parents

cabin, I am pretty sure it was an 8b and she slept on the sofa..said it

wasn't bad at all.:)

My wifes first cruise was on the Glory, and she stayed in her parents

cabin, I am pretty sure it was an 8b and she slept on the sofa..said it

wasn't bad at all.:)

Glory has convertible sofas and shorter regular sofas. They probably had a cabin meant for 3 with the convertible sofa.

She says that you have to have a room that is designated with a pullout in order to have a 3rd passenger in the room.

The 1A's are almost $650 p/p now, so they want $1300 for the cheapest room.

There HAS to be a cheaper solution??

Thanks, Bruce

She says that you have to have a room that is designated with a pullout in order to have a 3rd passenger in the room.

Thanks, Bruce

A convertible sofa doesnt pull out, they just take the back pillows off and voila its a twin bed.

If a 1A is $650, no way at 150% would not equal $1300, try a fake booking with 1 person, 150%, would be closer to $1000.

We were suggesting you find a cabin in the category you are now booked in that held 3, not move her into a 2 person cabin. Did you ask the TA if there were any triples, or try a fake booking yourself?

Sounds like you are over thinking this. We suggested 1As because they arent 200% to book solo.

I haven't had this situation so I can only speak from how the prices on my cruise went. After Early Saver ended and until final payment, prices only went UP.

Then, I found that prices dropped quite a bit the day after final payment was due. From your apparent sail date, your final payment is probably due within the next two weeks or so (?). You would have to check with your TA but maybe you can wait until just after final payment and "downgrade" and add your daughter. Or maybe you will be able to do a lateral move within your category to a cabin that sleeps 3. Now please do your research to make sure you won't have any additional penalties for "downgrading" at that late date. But maybe that tactic is worth a try?

Have you asked for a lateral change within your category for a room that sleeps 3, and then just pay the $459 for your daughter?

After those options, if you did not book Early Saver (or even with you did with a $50/person penalty) you can take a gamble and cancel now and rebook when the prices drop. Being that it is a new ship and some schools may have a break around that time, it is a definite gamble.

Hope you can figure it out!

For the 1A and they wanted $659 x 200% not 150%. I also looked into changing my 8B into an 8B*, and my $819 pp goes to $1089 pp + $459 for the 3rd passenger. My TA says if I change rooms, she HAS to charge me the current price, even though I booked over 9 months ago. :mad:

I'm stumped... Unless I can find another single female "Dreamer" that wants to share a room with my DD.

Bruce

For the 1A and they wanted $659 x 200% not 150%. I also looked into changing my 8B into an 8B*, and my $819 pp goes to $1089 pp + $459 for the 3rd passenger. My TA says if I change rooms, she HAS to charge me the current price, even though I booked over 9 months ago. :mad:

I'm stumped... Unless I can find another single female "Dreamer" that wants to share a room with my DD.

Bruce

All balcony rooms have a sofa that can be used as a single bed. How are they different than ones designated for 3? I am guessing that they can only designate so many cabins for 3 or 4 due to the maximum passenger capacity for the entire ship. HOWEVER, many of those designated for 3 or 4 only have 2 passegers so if a 3rd was put in one not designated for 3, it should be ok, IMHO. The last 2 times we cruised, we were in cabins for 4 but there were only the 2 of us. Ask your TA to check.

Is there anyone that deals with a PVP that can check for the OP? I would have offered except my PVP is on vacation.

Thanks, Bruce

There are NO 1As left .... so you cant be pricing one at that price. I just checked and 4B at $649 is the cheapest cabin showing, unless someone who has a 1A cancels ...

Im guessing you dont know how to find the 1As, since you seem to say another place you are pricing them out at $1300, which is impossible. Cant be. They are never 200%, never.

You have to hit the category button, to drill down to the 1As, or hit the edit button ... look all the way down and see if they are offered. There arent any this morning. So, thats why you are getting $1300 price, but its not a 1A price.

All balcony rooms have a sofa that can be used as a single bed. How are they different than ones designated for 3? I am guessing that they can only designate so many cabins for 3 or 4 due to the maximum passenger capacity for the entire ship. HOWEVER, many of those designated for 3 or 4 only have 2 passegers so if a 3rd was put in one not designated for 3, it should be ok, IMHO. The last 2 times we cruised, we were in cabins for 4 but there were only the 2 of us. Ask your TA to check.

Is there anyone that deals with a PVP that can check for the OP? I would have offered except my PVP is on vacation.

You cannot book 3 people into a cabin designed for 2 people. Coast guard rules im told, its not allowed no matter if someone could manage to sleep on the regular sofa.

OP will have to move to a similar cabin to what they have now, same category to avoid the price increase, that holds 3.

We have seen this question before, someone with a baby who is going to get a crib, who will not use the 3rd bed, they say this makes no sense ... but no matter who the 3rd person is, you can only book 3 to a cabin that holds at least 3. The muster boats will be designated for the cabins by how many they hold too. You cant fight city hall on this issue.

Side of the ship (starboard?) designated smoking on the balconies? I can't handle smoking, so I intentionally booked on the other side. Am I wrong?

BTW, thanks for all the input so far!

Bruce

The designated side for smoking is only for the open decks. Unless you are in a spa cabin ( selected ships only ) smoking is allowed in any cabin, regardless of which side of the ship you are on.

Side of the ship (starboard?) designated smoking on the balconies? I can't handle smoking, so I intentionally booked on the other side. Am I wrong?

BTW, thanks for all the input so far!

Bruce

Smoking is allowed in all cabins and balconies (except Spa cabins). The one side of the ship thing only applies to the Lido deck.

Ok I may sound like a rookie saying this so please no bashing by anyone (just trying to be helpful). When I booked my first cruise we had a quad and when a different quad opened up we moved to that quad. It was a simple 4a quad but there were no others available when I booked. After much reading on here I debated on moving to a different cat. so we could be more mid ship. Needless to say the prices jumped alot from when we booked until I made the change. My PVP was off or on vacation when the lone 4a opened up so I did it myself online. I stayed at the same rate as I had been booked originally just changed room #'s. I already had 4 in the cabin and went from a quad to a quad w/o adding/deleting anyone. My point to all of this is that atleast then (2008) it was doable. Now my advice would be to make a call to the 800/888 carnival #. Ask them if a cabin change within the category is possible w/o 1/2 pax paying the higher rate. If they say yes call your TA and tell them what you found out and if they still insist on going with the new rate then I'd insist on a 3-way with carnival. My hunch is that the TA wants his/her commisionable amount to increase thus making more money on your booking. I didn't catch if you are ES or not but if your TA still refuses to change you AND/OR won't do a 3-way with carnival I'd call them and explain your situation and see what they might be able to do for you. You might have to talk to a supervisor but it might be well worth the hassle if you are saving $600-700. I'd be willing to spend a couple hours on hold on the phone to save that much on my cruise LOL.

Our TA came thru and found another 8B room that was setup for 4 people. She switched us for no charge, and so we were able to add our DD for only $459.

We are obviously losing some privacy and moving to a noisier area of the ship, but it is worth it to have our daughter experience her first cruise at 29.

Dreaming in 77 days! WOO Hoo!!! :)

Thanks for all the tips!

Bruce

Archived