What was your most favorite Costa Maya Excursion?

senunit

Hello to everyone! Ive had no luck on the Costa Maya forum, so I take my question here to my favorite forum on cruise critic!:D

My girlfriend and I are traveling on RCI this January and are coming to Costa Maya for the first time. We were hoping to get some advice on a memorable excursion that is still available either through RCI or a dependable third party. We are open to exciting adventures, and would be more inclined to hear great suggestions from that perspective (jet skis, power boats, snorkeling, atv's, ziplining, or ANYTHING else). We are not really leaning toward Mayan ruins, so I guess thats virtually our only exception. In addition our price range would be up to $100 pp.

I look forward to any help that we can get as we are new to Costa Maya. We also hope to go to Mahahual for the second part of the day since we are there until 8:00PM, so please advise if that is possible with the tour in mind. Thank you!

It's been a couple of years and a hurricane since we have been there, but IMO there isn't a ton of "exciting" things to do unless you want to go roaring around in jeeps or dune buggies.

My idea of a perfect day is just to go into Majahual, find a spot on the beach and enjoy some cold drinks, then finish up with mojitos at El Faro with perhaps a nice grilled lobster. It doesn't get any better than that.

The best way to get a sense of what there is to do in a port is to read through the already posted questions in the Ports of Call boards. After reading the first few pages, you should have an idea about what is possible.

It's fine to post any question you want but you won't always get an immediate response so in the meantime, it's worthwhile to read the posts and google around.

It's been a couple of years and a hurricane since we have been there, but IMO there isn't a ton of "exciting" things to do unless you want to go roaring around in jeeps or dune buggies.

My idea of a perfect day is just to go into Majahual, find a spot on the beach and enjoy some cold drinks, then finish up with mojitos at El Faro with perhaps a nice grilled lobster. It doesn't get any better than that.

And don't forget the incredible (and inexpensive) beach massages while you're at the beach.

I LOVED Costa Maya and I will get back there one day. :)

We have been to Costa Maya 3 times and the last 2 times we rented a golf cart. They were located out the back where the buses were parked. We have not been since the hurricane so I am not sure if they are still there. Anyone?

When you rent the gold cart you drive into Majahual and you can go anywhere you want. It WAS $16.00 per hour or $60.00 for all day. We went about 10 miles past Majahual on the coast road. Had a great time.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

senunit....The Golf carts are still there to rent, I think they are $75 per day. You can also get an ATV tour at the same place as the Golf Cart rental. I think it was in the $30-40 pp range. Jet skies you can rent right on the beach. Price will depend on how busy they are, anywhere from $25 per hour up. There is one jet ski operation that does a tour (they may all do it, not sure), last about 2 hours and goes up the coast aways. I understand that there is a zipline operation nearby, but I don't have any info on it. You might try a google search.

Happy cruising.

If you are looking for a little bit of an adventure try the discover scuba. You do not need to have any certifications and it is very easy and exciting to do. I did this a few years ago and plan to do it again when I am there in February. The company I use has you meet them at Mahahual so when you are done diving you can get a nice massage, drinks, and good food for cheap. try typing "costa maya tours" into google it will be the first link that pops up.

Good Luck!

And don't forget the incredible (and inexpensive) beach massages while you're at the beach.

I LOVED Costa Maya and I will get back there one day. :)

I was wondering if anyone knows if these massages as separate business or are they also part of some of the aforementioned beach clubs along the malecon?

Thank you to all that have once again been of tremendous help with the suggestions! I think we are certainly going to go with the eat, drink and beach route with maybe a massage and/or jet ski session in between. We are contemplating if we want to add an excursion as well since we will be there from 8 or 9 am until 8 pm.

If you are looking for a little bit of an adventure try the discover scuba. You do not need to have any certifications and it is very easy and exciting to do. I did this a few years ago and plan to do it again when I am there in February. The company I use has you meet them at Mahahual so when you are done diving you can get a nice massage, drinks, and good food for cheap. try typing "costa maya tours" into google it will be the first link that pops up.

Good Luck!

Do you mentioned google search because there are rules against writing company names in the forums or is it because you forgot the companies name? Sorry, but I am not very familiar with the rules yet. We've been really hoping to do a scuba tour but almost all of them require some sort of certification or are very simple for the money. Your suggestion is intriguing, but I am hoping you can get back to me about my confusion LOL. Thanks!

We've been to Costa Maya twice, the first time was before the hurricane and the second was just this past August. It's one of our favorite ports. We did the ruins tour with Ivan and David our first trip and really enjoyed it...those guys are good! But, this last time, we rented golf carts ($75 per day), drove into Majahual and hung out on the beach. If you buy some food and a few drinks, you can keep a table with an umbrella for the day. Majahual consists of a few blocks of dirt streets with low buildings that stretches along the beach. It's just a small village with some shops that sell trinkets and t-shirts...not a Diamonds International, Columbia Emeralds or Del Sol in sight! When we tired of the beach, we took the cart around town and down the shore a few miles - just a totally relaxing day. A couple of hours before we had to be back on the ship, we went back to the port area which is an enclosed shopping area with a huge pool with a swim up bar and probably 10-15 shops, mostly selling the same trinkets. That is a much more energetic place with pumping music - kind of like one big Senor Frogs! Costa Maya is not St. Thomas or San Juan so you don't go there to hit the jewelry stores and such. But, it is a nice change of pace from those sort of ports with a laid-back feeling that is relaxing instead of exhausting.

I had a great day at Majahual beach. Go through the shopping area at the pier to the back and you'll see a van. Get in the van. It's $3pp and they drop you off in front of the Hotel Majahual, which is a hellhole. But on the other side of the hotel is a beach.

There are lounge chairs plus tables with chairs an umbrellas. Everything's free of charge. People walk up to you and ask you what food and drink you want. There are also bars and dive restaurants. It was a GREAT, relaxing day.

We also saw people renting kayaks and jet skis, as well as someone parasailing.

A taxi back is $2pp in a yellow taxi.

Hello to everyone! Ive had no luck on the Costa Maya forum, so I take my question here to my favorite forum on cruise critic!:D

My girlfriend and I are traveling on RCI this January and are coming to Costa Maya for the first time. We were hoping to get some advice on a memorable excursion that is still available either through RCI or a dependable third party. We are open to exciting adventures, and would be more inclined to hear great suggestions from that perspective (jet skis, power boats, snorkeling, atv's, ziplining, or ANYTHING else). We are not really leaning toward Mayan ruins, so I guess thats virtually our only exception. In addition our price range would be up to $100 pp.

I look forward to any help that we can get as we are new to Costa Maya. We also hope to go to Mahahual for the second part of the day since we are there until 8:00PM, so please advise if that is possible with the tour in mind. Thank you!

The ruins tour with David and Ivan is really great. If all else fails you could fall back on that. Last time we were there we took the ruins tour but also heard that they were doing cheap massages on the beach and there was to-die-for coconut shrimp in town.

Do you mentioned google search because there are rules against writing company names in the forums or is it because you forgot the companies name? Sorry, but I am not very familiar with the rules yet. We've been really hoping to do a scuba tour but almost all of them require some sort of certification or are very simple for the money. Your suggestion is intriguing, but I am hoping you can get back to me about my confusion LOL. Thanks!

Actually I am not all that familiar with the rules about posting companies websites on this site but I seem to remember reading in some other posts that is against the rules.

As I posted previously there is absolutly no certification needed. You just book the Discover Scuba option for $79 pp. It is anything but simple for the money. When you arrive at your meeting place they do a run through of all the equipment and how it works. Then they help you get suited up and take you into chest deep water and go through basics of scuba diving and once you are comfortable with everthing you load into a boat and head out to sea. The reef you dive next to is 25-35 ft deep and absolutly amazing. The dive lasts for about 20-25 mins depending on how fast you consume air and the guide is with you the entire way.

The only downside to doing this excursion is that snorkeling will never be as fun again. You will wish you had a tank on your back and under the surface!

Yup, this is spot on. I could not say it better. I have done a couple of Mayan ruins tours and they were pretty good. Don't bother to try to snorkel there as the wind and waves are not the best. Don't forget to wade into the small stores in Majahual. The sellers are VERY aggressive, but that means they WILL dicker with you. I love the game and always find a good bargain over what is in the "port" area.

We spent the day with Carolien at the Hotel Maya Luna. It was a great day with great service, food, and people. Part of the day we went off on a horseback ride, and the rest of the time we spent at the beach - would do it again in a heartbeat! I was actually going to be back this April before we had changed our dates and was ready to book with her again!

We were in CM in 2007. My wife got the "on the beach" massage...I think it cost $25 for 45 minutes. It took my wife the rest of the day to be able to walk straight.....it was that good!

The massages actually take place in a open ended tent on the extreme left end of the shop complex at the pier. Private enough, very sanitary, and not connected with any other business (that we could tell).

I only wish -I- would have gotten a massage, too. We both will if there's ever a next time in Costa Maya.

Other than that....a very clean shopping area right at the pier.....most of the usual Caribbean items....sellers not too pushy and most dickered....

Enjoy!

We've been to Costa Maya twice, the first time was before the hurricane and the second was just this past August. It's one of our favorite ports. We did the ruins tour with Ivan and David our first trip and really enjoyed it...those guys are good! But, this last time, we rented golf carts ($75 per day), drove into Majahual and hung out on the beach. If you buy some food and a few drinks, you can keep a table with an umbrella for the day. Majahual consists of a few blocks of dirt streets with low buildings that stretches along the beach. It's just a small village with some shops that sell trinkets and t-shirts...not a Diamonds International, Columbia Emeralds or Del Sol in sight! When we tired of the beach, we took the cart around town and down the shore a few miles - just a totally relaxing day. A couple of hours before we had to be back on the ship, we went back to the port area which is an enclosed shopping area with a huge pool with a swim up bar and probably 10-15 shops, mostly selling the same trinkets. That is a much more energetic place with pumping music - kind of like one big Senor Frogs! Costa Maya is not St. Thomas or San Juan so you don't go there to hit the jewelry stores and such. But, it is a nice change of pace from those sort of ports with a laid-back feeling that is relaxing instead of exhausting.

That was such a vivid description, we are really excited just to lay back and relax in Costa Maya. Thanks!

We spent the day with Carolien at the Hotel Maya Luna. It was a great day with great service, food, and people. Part of the day we went off on a horseback ride, and the rest of the time we spent at the beach - would do it again in a heartbeat! I was actually going to be back this April before we had changed our dates and was ready to book with her again!

I just looked on Google and saw that many people refer to this place as a great spot. Is this along Majahual and is it like a resort or is it one of the many beach front restaurants? Thanks for the suggestion!

Actually I am not all that familiar with the rules about posting companies websites on this site but I seem to remember reading in some other posts that is against the rules.

As I posted previously there is absolutly no certification needed. You just book the Discover Scuba option for $79 pp. It is anything but simple for the money. When you arrive at your meeting place they do a run through of all the equipment and how it works. Then they help you get suited up and take you into chest deep water and go through basics of scuba diving and once you are comfortable with everthing you load into a boat and head out to sea. The reef you dive next to is 25-35 ft deep and absolutly amazing. The dive lasts for about 20-25 mins depending on how fast you consume air and the guide is with you the entire way.

The only downside to doing this excursion is that snorkeling will never be as fun again. You will wish you had a tank on your back and under the surface!

Wow that sounds great! Im going to look into that right now. I am afraid that snorkeling will never be the same, but that all the more reason to scuba dive again! Thank you for the details!

I had a great day at Majahual beach. Go through the shopping area at the pier to the back and you'll see a van. Get in the van. It's $3pp and they drop you off in front of the Hotel Majahual, which is a hellhole. But on the other side of the hotel is a beach.

There are lounge chairs plus tables with chairs an umbrellas. Everything's free of charge. People walk up to you and ask you what food and drink you want. There are also bars and dive restaurants. It was a GREAT, relaxing day.

We also saw people renting kayaks and jet skis, as well as someone parasailing.

A taxi back is $2pp in a yellow taxi.

That "hellhole" spot seems like a recurring topic here on CC. I am eager to see how this devastating drop off point looks, HAHA. Thanks for the breakdown!

We were in CM in 2007. My wife got the "on the beach" massage...I think it cost $25 for 45 minutes. It took my wife the rest of the day to be able to walk straight.....it was that good!

The massages actually take place in a open ended tent on the extreme left end of the shop complex at the pier. Private enough, very sanitary, and not connected with any other business (that we could tell).

I only wish -I- would have gotten a massage, too. We both will if there's ever a next time in Costa Maya.

Other than that....a very clean shopping area right at the pier.....most of the usual Caribbean items....sellers not too pushy and most dickered....

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot Steve-O! Thats exactly what I was looking to find out.

It's maybe a 10 minute cab-ride from the pier - I think it was only $7 or $8 for the cab - they are the later pics in my siggy link - there are some great reviews in the Costa Maya forum, including mine for the Hotel Maya Luna. Carolien is great about organizing whatever you want to do from snorkeling to horseback riding, to just sipping drinks on the beach - just send her an e-mail to see if she can arrange what you'd like at a price that works for you :)