Cruise nightmare! Need help!

bobo29

I think you're right!:p There really does seem to be a middle ground argument here, but maybe we're the only ones really seeing it. A few other members have mentioned the fact that switching to Oasis from Navigator could be a huge deal. I have to admit that the only way we'd cruise on Oasis would be if we won the cruise or something (and it would have to be a balcony cabin or better). That's a good point that maiden voyages in general have kinks to be worked out and that on Oasis those issues are likely to be magnified. I do hope bobo29 and family have a good time. They deserve it...they just don't deserve a free cruise, IMO.

beachchick

Totally agree with you both

Sue

Back in 2000, my family went on a Carnival cruise out of Miami. We were traveling with our 2 young daughters and some extended family members and their children. We boarded the ship early in the day, enjoyed the pool, etc. and waved as we sailed away. About a half hour later, an announcement was made that the ship was headed back to port and the cruise was canceled due to a problem with the "azipod". We thought they were kidding, but they weren't. We ended up flying back home and going to a beach nearby. Carnival reimbursed our cruise fare, plus they gave us a voucher for the amount we paid for that cruise to be used on any cruise in the future. I think they also reimbursed our airfare. This was without travel insurance! (Did they sell it back then?) We ended up going on a much nicer cruise the following year and booked a balcony cabin (which we'd never done before) because it was practically free with the voucher. I was disappointed at the time because I was really looking forward to that cruise, but Carnival definitely handled it well. Things don't always go according to plan. It sounds like RCCL did the best they could to remedy their mistake, especially given how quickly these arrangements had to be made. I do understand the frustration the OP felt though. Hopefully they're having a good time anyway.

Noooo, your situation is like ordering tuna noodle casserole and getting a Fillet Mignon with a side of lobster!

Some people just can't see a good deal when it smacks them upside the head and sits down on their lap. :eek:

<snip>

This all had to happen in what, 1-2 days? You think Royal Caribbean should have called others on the Nav and asked them to transfer to Oasis? The OP won the cruise lottory. And they still weren't satisfied. The price they paid is actually a slap in the face to everyone else onboard Oasis who paid the full price. Maybe they should have gone back to everyone on Oasis and offered them a free cruise on Navigator.

Hi, crisinmama06. I have to say that I usually agree with you and you are of fabulous help (especially on the Family Forum), but (you knew that was coming, I suspect) I disagree with a couple of things here.

I had meant to mention that the price they paid is not at all a slap in the face to other Oasis passengers. Not unless you consider it a slap in the face every time someone gets a bargain fare or negotiates a great deal or has a TA who goes above and beyond to finagle discounts or every time a cruise line makes a mistake and makes up for it by doing exactly what they did here.

To many or perhaps most, bobo29 "won the cruise lottery," but the fact is that not everyone feels that way. In the realm of cruising, one person's filet mignon is another person's tuna noodle casserole. Just because most of us (in this case, including me) think bobo29 really scored with the RCI offer, it doesn't mean that everyone thinks so or that everyone should. IMO, it's very unfair of us to decide that because we think it's wonderful, then everyone must think so too or they are ungrateful or selfish or can't be pleased. I know that my mother wouldn't cruise on Oasis even if she was offered a suite and all expenses at no cost. You literally would have to tie her up and drag her onboard, and she would hate it. I don't think that makes her foolish or wrong. If she was in the same situation as bobo29, she would have said, "No way. Just give me my money back and I'll book elsewhere." I bet half our members would flame her for doing that. That is truly sad.

beachchick

all I know if it were me my DH would have someone's head on a platter. but you know what. what ever you decide. I would go for oasis. let all the problems melt away once you board.. I might carry on luggage, (and carry off) don't want that missing ontop of everything else... just let it go. once you board.. just make it a priority to have fun. I know it was not your first choice and the oasis my seem alittle overwhelming but cruising is what you make of it. I hope you can get someone higher up to help you. I like order and planning and having everything set in my mind and all the reservations concrete. I do not know how I would handle it. Ah I hope it would be an adventure and I could enjoy the ride. I do not know how dinner seating would be set? but there are usually enough places and grazing all hours on a ship.. lol... hope it works out for you. update us on how it goes and maybe even after the cruise to let us know how the oasis was if you try it.. best of sailing..

Back in 2000, my family went on a Carnival cruise out of Miami. We were traveling with our 2 young daughters and some extended family members and their children. We boarded the ship early in the day, enjoyed the pool, etc. and waved as we sailed away. About a half hour later, an announcement was made that the ship was headed back to port and the cruise was canceled due to a problem with the "azipod". We thought they were kidding, but they weren't. We ended up flying back home and going to a beach nearby. Carnival reimbursed our cruise fare, plus they gave us a voucher for the amount we paid for that cruise to be used on any cruise in the future. I think they also reimbursed our airfare. This was without travel insurance! (Did they sell it back then?) We ended up going on a much nicer cruise the following year and booked a balcony cabin (which we'd never done before) because it was practically free with the voucher. I was disappointed at the time because I was really looking forward to that cruise, but Carnival definitely handled it well. Things don't always go according to plan. It sounds like RCCL did the best they could to remedy their mistake, especially given how quickly these arrangements had to be made. I do understand the frustration the OP felt though. Hopefully they're having a good time anyway.

A similar thing happened to us on Carnival's Destiny when she was brand new. We were to board in Boston at 5:00 P.M. and sail five days Canada/New England. The ship never got to Boston until about 3:00 A.M. and though they boarded us at that horrid hour, the ship never sailed. Unlike your experience, ours was about as bad as they could have made it. Won't go into details, but sounds like maybe they learned from our bad experience.

I 'get' it with cruise disappointments but I think OP was misplacing anger in this case.

I sincerely hope he and his family had a great time and he comes back to tell us a little about it.

My guess is ???????

If they did not like it they would have been back to gripe.;)

I am guessing they enjoyed even with the start up problems onboard

I know if I were the OP after the replies I got here I would not bother to come Update the group so they could have another go at me.

To many or perhaps most, bobo29 "won the cruise lottery," but the fact is that not everyone feels that way. In the realm of cruising, one person's filet mignon is another person's tuna noodle casserole.

I agree with more of a middle-down-the-road take.. If you were dreaming of the Oasis anyway but couldn't afford it, it's one thing.. Great.. But if you passed over it for other reasons when initially choosing (maiden voyage, itinerary, etc) then you will feel like you're settling by scrambling into something else. Especially the closer it gets to your sailing, the more people in your group, already chosen vacation week and booked airfare -- this really limits your viable alternatives for what you can scramble into.

Granted, Oasis is definitely one of the better options =)

But having had this happen to me in the past, I do have to sympathise, and it is very stressful. I tried to make the best of it, but ultimately, you have to remember why it was not your 1st or 2nd choice..

In this case it sounds similar, therefore more like an upgrade, but I don't know all the personal details, perhaps there were reasons it was something the OP would never have booked otherwise.

Archived