Travel Insurance

bling19572010

I'll apologize in advance as I know that these questions have been asked before but I'm asking again to get the most up-to-date information.

We will be traveling to the caribbean via Royal Caribbean in December 2010 and have already made a deposit. (There are 15 of us traveling - family trip). I will probably buy travel insurance thru www.insuremytrip.com. My fiance has heart disease and had a minor heart attack in March 2009. What are the "rules" concerning purchasing travel insurance when you have a pre-existing condition(s)?

Also, we will be going to Mexico in March 2010....is it too late to purchase travel insurance for a pre-existing condition? (This trip is thru a timeshare).

Thank you!

I'll apologize in advance as I know that these questions have been asked before but I'm asking again to get the most up-to-date information.

We will be traveling to the caribbean via Royal Caribbean in December 2010 and have already made a deposit. (There are 15 of us traveling - family trip). I will probably buy travel insurance thru www.insuremytrip.com. My fiance has heart disease and had a minor heart attack in March 2009. What are the "rules" concerning purchasing travel insurance when you have a pre-existing condition(s)? You generally can only buy travel insurance for pre-existing conditions if you buy that insurance within 10 days of booking the cruise. TravelEx gives you a 21 day "window", but is more expensive. So if you've just booked the cruise, get shopping! (I've used both TravelEx and TravelGuard in the past, but have not had to make a claim, so can't vouch for them!)

Also, we will be going to Mexico in March 2010....is it too late to purchase travel insurance for a pre-existing condition? (This trip is thru a timeshare). Same conditions apply -- insurance for pre-existing conditions must be made within 10 days of booking the trip.

Thank you!

Since it sees like you might do a lot of travelling - -or at least are doing a lot in 2010...you might want to consider some annual travel insurance policies. They're expensive sounding, but averaged out over the year, might be a better deal.

If you or a family member has any type of pre-existing condition, you should purchase trip insurance immediately after making the first deposit. As posted, with most companies, you have around 15 days from the date of the first deposit.

Some policies will allow you to still insure for a pre-existing condition if you miss this deadline, but it will cost a lot more. You should be able to research these on insuremytrip.com and call if you have any questions.

We will be traveling to the caribbean via Royal Caribbean in December 2010 and have already made a deposit. (There are 15 of us traveling - family trip). I will probably buy travel insurance thru www.insuremytrip.com. My fiance has heart disease and had a minor heart attack in March 2009. What are the "rules" concerning purchasing travel insurance when you have a pre-existing condition(s)?

Also, we will be going to Mexico in March 2010....is it too late to purchase travel insurance for a pre-existing condition? (This trip is thru a timeshare).

Thank you!

You can purchase Travlex Travel Lite policy and it allows you 21 days from date of deposit until purchase of insurance and they will cover pre-existing conditions. Depending on when you booked your land trip, you may still be eligible to obtain pre-existing coverage for that as well, but I would definitely be sure to get it for your cruise.

You might want to give CSA a call (800-348-9504) and ask about their group policy. It's available for groups of 10 or more and as long as you purchase the policy no later than the final payment date yoiu will be covered for pre-existing medical conditions. I don't believe it's age-rated so for some groups that skew to the younger age brackets it may price out a little more. However, I'm not 100% sure of that so check with them.

You said you would likely use insuremytrip.com good idea so go there and LOOK at the policies and click and compare them. You don't say when you booked but you only from 10 days to 21 days to book with a pre exisiting clause waiver, OR you can use CSA and pay more with them you can get it up to final payment. but some other coverages may not be as good, Get on that website right away and compare them.

Archived