A Safe Bet in Nassau

Magicat

The events the OP was referring to are from back in the early Fall.

At the time there was an armed robbery of a Segway Excursion group.

I believe there have been no similar events and arrests were made.

Nassau is not my favorite port but I never felt threatened.

For that matter I did not even feel harassed by the local hawkers. The Straw Market was not my thing but not nearly the scary place some described it as. In fact I was more turned off by the loudness of Senor Frogs which I know some enjoy.

My only 'scary moment' came when a couple of water taxi captains got into a very loud argument which stateside would certainly have turned violent. That is why I recommend taking the land taxi back from the Atlantis. Once you are at Atlantis they are not as organized getting you back to Nassau. Often water taxis drop off then hurry back to bring more passengers over to Atlantis, without taking passengers back. The crowd waiting to go back to Nassau grows and you can feel people getting impatient.

Definitely take the land taxi back and enjoy the trip for only $1 more !

• 2 weeks later...

Junkanoo is closeby... maybe 15 minute walk.

No lighthouse... so that must be a different beach.

Overall the beach scene just disappointed me...

Search Breezes or Colonial Hilton for some other beach options..

With both of those you get a pool and food voucher...

Please double check the voucher part though...

I do not want to mislead someone if I am wrong.

Especially as the season heats up... deals may change!

We were going to do the whole Atlantis tour and to make a long story short, our cab driver, who coincidentally years ago lived and worked in the same Bronx neighborhood as we live in, saved us money and took us to Cabbage Beach. We felt very secure and there were lots of people from the ship there. We rented chairs for $20 and there were people selling sodas for a few bucks. We really had a nice time. We then took our own walk around much of the Atlantis grounds. I would do this again if I were to go back.

Enjoy,

Freddie

was at JUNKABOO beach end of January right down from Senor Frogs...easy walk but was NOT IMPRESSED...it was dirty/broken glass/ lots of seagrass or seaweed whatever the sand was very rocky...walked a bit on the beach but wouldnt want to spend much time there....lots of local boys hangin around at the one end of it on the way back to the ship and also near the restrooms (gave me very UNEASY feelin)

we went over to ATLANTIS on a city tour and was able to walk around for a bit..did see the aquarium inside...that is AWESOME!!!!....wanted to go back there to the beach in dec but the PRICE will probably keep me away and i will be looking elsewhere for a daypass-BLUE LAGOON is out cos it is CLOSED on Sundays!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived