Europe cruise with teen?

JJPCheers

We've done Med cruises with our DD the past three years (in the fall). She is now 14YO. RCCI and X. Just got back last night from our latest - Italy, Greece and Turkey.

She enjoys Europe. They are a bit more port intensive and thus you probably will be spending more time with your kid than you might on the carribean itineraries.

Always lots of kids. Getting the teens together can be a bit more challenging. Encourage him to attend some of the earlier teen club events. Start conversations with parents of other kids his age to also try to get the kids to interact. Once they have one or two buddies, they are pretty self sufficient.

RCCI or Princess may be among the better choices for a teen because of the wider range of activities they offer. DD had a great time on X Solctice but the kids did have to work a little harder to come up with activities.

Try for the ealier dining time if you want your son to dine with you. Most teens like to hang together in the evening and if your son has to dine with you at 8:30, it will "crimp" his style.

We have done Princess (preferred) and NCL (best price). Our son, now 16 enjoyed them both very much and met other teens from around the world. You really can't anticipate what friends they will make but, as already mentioned, the cruise is port intensive so almost all the days will be spent with you ashore. Go with the cruise you want (ports, price, date) and everyone will have a wonderful time. Make sure you see Venice!

When we took our first European Cruise our son was also 13 and we cruised with Princess. We selected the cruise line and the specific ship knowing that there would be a fair number of children on board and there would be activities for him. And it turned out very well.

Princess has one of the best Children's programs and I thought did a nice job all the way around.

Keith

We did the Baltic and the Med with Celebrity..my daughter , who is a "pre-teen" , was 11 in the Med and 12 on the Baltic cruise.

She loved the ships and the itineraries and made some wonderful friends. In fact , she still corresponds with them. A really great experience.

On the cruise to the Med , there were fewer young people on board because we went in May. In the Baltics , there were lots of kids being that it was July.

You´ll have a great time!

Kim

I'm taking my 3 kids on a Med cruise on X next year. I'll have a ds14, dd turning 12 on the cruise and ds5. Can any of you who have been on a Med cruise on X expand on the activities onboard available to the kids? Any recommendations for excursions? Thanks!

. . . . Can any of you who have been on a Med cruise on X expand on the activities onboard available to the kids? . . .

For younger kids there is the Fun Factory, The teen group has their own lounge area. I can only speak about the teen facilities and activities on Solstice.

The teen lounge area has some basic game stuff (ping pong, board games, etc) It contects to the sports court (B-ball, soccer) and to the video arcade (extra cost). They have some organized activities for teens (scavenger hunts, games, etc.)

Other areas on board attractive to kids - the Lawn has putting, bocce, bean bag toss. The outdoor pool has a large pool with a bridge across it and a decorative splash area with fountains that the kids can play in. The indoor pool is off limits to kids under 16 as are the workout and spa areas. The Hot Glass Show is very interesting.

As for Med excursions most offered by X are sightseeing. Some folks indicated that they snorkled in Santorini and there are some fairly rigorous hiking itineraries on Santorini and to Etna (Messina) or Vesuvius (Napoli). Most of the ports have some pretty interesting sights to see however - my DD really enjoyed the ruins in Rome, Athens, and Ephesus (we'd done Pompeii in the past); and the Medivial walled city in Rhodes. I had downloaded some walking tours (Rick Steves and Discovery Tours) to her iPod and she really did find the history more interesting than she thought she would.

The X ships don't have some of the flashy stuff RCCI has (no climbing wall, or skating areas, or mini golf) or Princess (no big screen outdoor movies) -- but DD enjoyed her X cruise as much as our other Med cruises.

Archived