3 year old and Mexican Riviera Ports

Baxter

I am thinking about taking our daughter on a cruise with PV, Mazatlan and Cabo as port stops. I had assumed I would just find beaches to take her to for the day, but thought I would ask if anyone might recommend excursions that are 3-year-old appropriate.

Get yourself a guidebook on your ports....it will tell you all that each place has to offer...then you can decide whether beaching it, or some other activity will work for you!

And, you can decide if you need an excursion, or if it's doable on your own!

I am thinking about taking our daughter on a cruise with PV, Mazatlan and Cabo as port stops. I had assumed I would just find beaches to take her to for the day, but thought I would ask if anyone might recommend excursions that are 3-year-old appropriate.

My 3 year olds loved the Papalantas (sp?) Flyers show + beach excursion in Mazatlan, but it means bringing car seats for the taxi ride (they don't use busses - just taxis).

In Cabo, my twins loved the short boat tour that leaves right from the dock and just takes you past the arch, to see the seals, and along the coast a little bit.

Besides that, we've always just done the beach or a resort and always had a great time. There have been a number of threads lately here about where to go in Mexico with all the details, so do a quick search. But in P.V. it's the Krystal Resort that's a short walk and in Mazatlan you can walk to the ferry to Stone Island.

Best,

Mia

We are going on the same cruise itinerary in 2+ weeks on Princess cruise lines. One of the excursions we signed up for in Cabo was the semi-sub tour -- basically a glass-bottom boat tour where our 2 yr old can see the fish swimming around and around. =)

I found that a lot of excursions (at least on Princess) cater to kids 6 yrs and older. So, we'll be enjoying some quality beach time jumping in the waves!

PV has the Krystal Resort for your beach day--easy walk from the ship and they have a playground in addition to a regular pool, wading pool, and beach.

In Mazatlan, we did the historic walking tour. Again with the car seat for the taxi ride...our son hung out in his stroller and it worked fine for us.

I've done these ports quite a few times with my toddlers and never found anything like the Krystal in Mazatlan or Cabo. There's usually a resort "beach break" tour in Mazatlan, but it requires taking a cab, which means car seats. The best alternative is walking to the Stone Island ferry. Once there, you can eat at one of the restaurants on the beach, which gives you use of the facilities - others here have loved it.

Best,

Mia

In Cabo we went to Cabo Dolphins right in the marina (walking distance from where you get off the tender). It is free to go upstairs and see other people in the pool doing the dolphin swim thing. My 2.5 y.o.'s really enjoyed watching the dolphins up close. You just have to sign in and get a wrist band to go upstairs. The building is very nice (with modern design/furnishings) and the bathrooms were spotless. Afterwards we ate lunch at one of the many restaurants closeby and walked around. Medano Beach is closeby (via water taxi) but we didn't go.

In Cabo, we went to the "ME by Melia" resort. It is totally a posh resort, along the lines of a W in terms of swankyness with that same sort of night-club-meets-resort feel, and yet, they were TOTALLY nice to our son, who was 17 months old at the time. I was nervous because I thought we might feel unwelcome, but quite the opposite. Don't get me wrong, there's no wading pool and no play structure like the Krystal has, but it had a regular pool and shaded bali beds and a beach, and we had a lovely relaxing time there. No cover charge, we just ordered food and beverages and the waiters happily brought them to us, along with towels. Caveat: my son was a pretty easy-going, non-running-and-screaming kind of kid at the time (he is full-on 2 now and those halcyon days are over). If yours is like mine is now, then it might not be so great to bring a boisterous child to an otherwise mellow resort.

Archived