Gluten Free Beer - NCL says "NO"

cruznut1111

I posted on the NCL site, but thought since I have all my other GF posts here, I should add this one.

Budweiser makes a terrific gluten-free beer called Redbridge. Since all the NCL ships have Bud, seemed to me an easy request asking them to bring on a case or allow me an exemption to bring on 1/2 case when we are on the Star next month. No to both options.

I have heard that some lines do stock a gluten-free beer. If you do hear of one, I'd like to know which ones.

If you are GF and cruising on the NCL STAR in the next few months, perhaps some additional requests might convince them to try.

I posted on the NCL site, but thought since I have all my other GF posts here, I should add this one.

Budweiser makes a terrific gluten-free beer called Redbridge. Since all the NCL ships have Bud, seemed to me an easy request asking them to bring on a case or allow me an exemption to bring on 1/2 case when we are on the Star next month. No to both options.

I have heard that some lines do stock a gluten-free beer. If you do hear of one, I'd like to know which ones.

If you are GF and cruising on the NCL STAR in the next few months, perhaps some additional requests might convince them to try.

None of the GF Brews on the celiacs guide list are offered on Carnavel cruises. Demand from 99.9999% of all beer drinking crusiers would be 0. I suggest you explore means of packing a sixer or two in your non-carry-on luggage. There are ways to pack them to prevent breakage. See if Redbridge bottles in plastci (ugh) or aluminum bottles. I doubt they do cans. Then ice them in your cabin. Bring a bottle coozie (one with a neck) or an insulated mug to help hide the bottle if you're not just drinking in your cabin or on your balcony.

Good luck.

None of the GF Brews on the celiacs guide list are offered on Carnavel cruises. Demand from 99.9999% of all beer drinking crusiers would be 0. I suggest you explore means of packing a sixer or two in your non-carry-on luggage. There are ways to pack them to prevent breakage. See if Redbridge bottles in plastci (ugh) or aluminum bottles. I doubt they do cans. Then ice them in your cabin. Bring a bottle coozie (one with a neck) or an insulated mug to help hide the bottle if you're not just drinking in your cabin or on your balcony.

Good luck.

Thanks for the interesting ideas, but since I only pack carry-on, there isn't any spare room once the masks, snorkels, etc get it there.

I just heard from NCL's Special Needs desk and I'm waiting for an email before I share what I hope will be very good news for me and other GF beer drinkers. Keep your fingers crossed.

For those of you who are craft beer drinkers and are not diagnosed with celiac disease, like moi, you may wish to try Bard's Tale Golden Dragon gluten free beer. It's out of Minnesota, the CEO is the former head of Pabst Blue Ribbon and was instrumental in getting reviving PBR. It's available in 39 states and growing. I think you'lll be pleasantly surprised by it.

For those of you who have been diagnosed with c.d., be aware there is soem controversy about whether or not AB and Sapporo gluten free bres are really gluten free. Something about the different types of test that miss certain types of gluten. But don't dispare, seems there are more GF brews coming to market, especially from Europe.

I hit that problem in Sydney with the Billabong GF beer. They were using MALT - ugg. Of course malt has gluten.

Nice thing about that part of the world is that both NZ & OZ are great with food allergies. Every restaurant/ cafe has a letter system by every item telling one if it's gluten-free, soy-free, vegetarian, vegan, etc.(G,S,V,Vg)

I would put a six pack in my carry-on. I may not enjoy one every day but after a hot day in port, I could at least enjoy one with a bunless burger.

Watch for St Peter's from the UK to reach our shores. My preference is Bard's or Green's but would be happy if cruise lines would at least stock Redbridge.

Just curious, how do the gluten free beers compare in taste to regular?

It has been so long since I have had a regular beer I can't really remember, but I would guess that Redbridge is closer to an amber rather than a pale in flavor. Thinner than a Guiness, but still a nice body. Tangy, not bitter.

I would put a six pack in my carry-on. I may not enjoy one every day but after a hot day in port, I could at least enjoy one with a bunless burger.

.That was one of my suggestions, but they said "no exceptions" to the "no carrying on beer" rule. I still have my fingers crossed. Looks like it may have just been a "quantity issue" and could get resolved happily.

In my initial email to my TA I was focused on how many bottles I would actually drink in 14 days and how many I would like to carry on if they chose to allow an exception. I said 12 bottles - 1/2 case. On second review of the question (after the first No) the Special Needs Dept asked if I was willing to buy a full case. Of course I said YES. (I don't know how things work for you other GFs, but I can't ingest anything everyday.) I figure I can always take the balance with us on the remainer of our trip.

Watch for St Peter's from the UK to reach our shores. My preference is Bard's or Green's but would be happy if cruise lines would at least stock Redbridge.

. Isn't it fun to have choices? I've made note of some of these other options and will watch for them at our specialty store. I asked for the Redbridge because I knew they already worked with a BUD distributor and figured it would be the easiest to introduce.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to get back here and post a pre-cruise update.

The last word I had from NCL's Access Desk was that they would bring a case of Redbridge onboard for me for each of our longer cruises. The price of this special treat is $164.22 a case, but that isn't all that much more than any ship-board beer.

Trying to drink close to 24 bottles in 9 & 14 days may be a push and seriously cut into my mimosa and margarita time, but we all have to sacrifice somewhere:p.

I'll update the thread again after the cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

What! a treat! The access department and NCL have come through for GFers again. There is a reason why NCL ranks so highly on GF/celiac websites.

Not only was there a case waiting in my cabin, but a chilled 6 pack was in a blue Bud ice bucket and sparkling pilsners were at the ready.

Oh this was so worth the effort. For those of you who encouraged me to keep on trying, Thanks!

Archived