Clothing for New Zealand

cruzadict

Hi there

We are leaving next week for our cruise from Sydney to Auckland after spending a week in sydney. As we will be away for a month I am trying to get the packing right!!

Am I correct in thinking that after it being hot in Sydney then the cruise around the south island of NZ is going to be a lot colder and that we will need sweatshirts and then the north island is going to be warmer and we will be back to teashirts. Are we likely to be using the outside decks for reading etc or will it be too cold on the first part of our cruise.

Hi there

We are leaving next week for our cruise from Sydney to Auckland after spending a week in sydney. As we will be away for a month I am trying to get the packing right!!

Am I correct in thinking that after it being hot in Sydney then the cruise around the south island of NZ is going to be a lot colder and that we will need sweatshirts and then the north island is going to be warmer and we will be back to teashirts. Are we likely to be using the outside decks for reading etc or will it be too cold on the first part of our cruise.

...the weather crossing the Tasman. Went into Milford etc on 27 Oct and went out on deck with a tee and shorts. Immediately sequestered myself in my cabin and added the leg extensions to my shorts and a fleecy hoodie. Temp was just above freezing.

You should be toasty in SYD and OK once in the Lyttleton/CH-CH area and north, as it will be almost mid summer when you go. to Wellington, Auckland etc. If you're doing Napier it might be a tad windy but you'll be OK if In Tauranga/Mt Maunganui.

Hope this helps.

Ciao for now!!!

We did the Auckland to Syd trip last Dec/Jan and the weather was very variable on our trip.

I would take layers, as when the ship docks in the mornings it can be quite cool but then later in the day it was quite warm in both Dunedin and Christchurch.

Along the south coast of NZ it was windy and chilly. It was spectacular in Milford Sound but a bit windy.

As for the open decks, it was also variable - one minute sunny and warm then whoops cloudy and cool!

An umbrella or a rain slicker as advised by previous poster is also a good idea.

In the last couple of weeks in Sydney, we have had 40C but today is around 23C!!!!:confused:

Looks like a real variety of clothing is going to be required for our Aus/NZ cruise even though it will be summer! Southern NZ may require some winter clothing. Hopefully this won't tip the luggage allowance too much!

Looks like a real variety of clothing is going to be required for our Aus/NZ cruise even though it will be summer! Southern NZ may require some winter clothing. Hopefully this won't tip the luggage allowance too much!

NewZealand weather really doesn't become settled until after Christmas. Now, it is not summer yet, but still late spring.

We've just had a very unsettled November,with a lot of rain, but temperatures are warming up.

The Fiords and the very south of the South Island may still be cool in January and February, but the rest of the country should be quite warm - although, to an Australian, it may still seem cool! ;)

If you're talking of winter clothing, don't think of down jackets and ear muffs - it won't be that cold. Just bring a few lightweight layers and a lightweight windproof/ showerproof jacket.

What's the weather usually like in mid to late February?

February is usually the hottest month (think of August in the northern hemisphere) - t-shirts and shorts weather, with a light cover-up for evenings.

Thanks, Celle. That's when I'll be there and I was wondering if I would need warmer clothes but it looks like not.

Of course, like most places, there are no guarantees concerning the weather! ;)

You may need a lightweight jacket for Milford and the other Sounds, and possibly for the south of the South Island, but the North Island should be quite warm, and Auckland is sub-tropical, so could also be a bit humid.

Christchurch has one occasional weather oddity - in certain conditions, the temperature can drop about 15 degrees Celsius in the course of a few hours.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Archived