"snorkel on the wall" from bahio resort grand turk

snorkler

Hi....I was wondering if anyone had done the "Snorkel on the Wall" excursion at the Bahio Resort in Grand Turk? When I inquired about it, I was told the excursion was about an hour long and it was only a 5 minute boat ride to the wall. Does anyone know what kind of boat they use to get to the wall? Thanks Elaine:)

We were just there - did a dive (not snorkle) on the wall. The wall is quite close to the shore (not swim out to it close- but close) It is amazing how it drops so sheer from @ 30-40 feet into the abyss of 8000 feet :eek:

The reef along the wall edge is in about 30-40 feet of water. While there is lots to see, I am not so sure you will get much of an "up close and personal" view from that high up.

We had one person on our boat who ended up snorkeling as they were having problems equalizing their ears and getting down so he just snorkled. He said he couldnt really see much.

Sorry - can't help with the boat question.

<P>We stayed at Bohio a couple of years ago and took their trip to Gibbs Cay.  I would guess (but I'm not certain) that they use the same boat for snorkeling.  You can see pictures of the 24 foot Carolina Skiff at </P>

<P><A href="http://edandnancy.shutterfly.com/2362">http://edandnancy.shutterfly.com/2362</A></P>

<P>The wall is about 700 yards from shore.  We were lucky and saw a group of whales while we were eating lunch on Bohio's deck.</P>

<P>Ed</P>

Hi....I was wondering if anyone had done the "Snorkel on the Wall" excursion at the Bahio Resort in Grand Turk? When I inquired about it, I was told the excursion was about an hour long and it was only a 5 minute boat ride to the wall. Does anyone know what kind of boat they use to get to the wall? Thanks Elaine:)

Elaine, did you talk directly with someone at Bohio about this? The reason I ask is because DH and I are thinking of heading over there in a cab once we get to Grand Turk to do some snorkeling/beach lounging. I would love to catch a quick boat ride out to the wall, but don't want to book an excursion in advance. Do you know if we can just show up at Bohio and arrange it that same day? Thanks for your help!

Hi Stacey779.......Yes I did talk (via e-mail) to someone there and I was told that the snorkel to the wall has to be paid for in advance. They also have a nice beach and you can rent snorkel gear $10, a lounge chair $10 and they have a resturaunt and a bar. Like you, I dont want to have to pay ahead of time for the boat.

Hi Stacey779.......Yes I did talk (via e-mail) to someone there and I was told that the snorkel to the wall has to be paid for in advance. They also have a nice beach and you can rent snorkel gear $10, a lounge chair $10 and they have a resturaunt and a bar. Like you, I dont want to have to pay ahead of time for the boat.

Ok, thanks for the info. We promised ourselves we weren't going to book anything in advance. We don't want to be on a schedule, so I'm just looking for things we can hop off the ship and do. I think we might hang out at Margaritaville or head over to Jack's shack instead.

My husband and I were on the Emerald Princess last week and did a snorkeling excursion with Blue Water Divers in Grand Turk. I was reluctant to book in advance, but I really did want to snorkle and I really hate the mass production experiences.

We took a $5.00 per person taxi ride to their office. We were the only booking for that afternoon so we had the boat to ourselves. Our guide, Jessie was excellent. We snorkle first at a fantastic sight, lots of fish, coral in a fairly shallow area. "Take as long as you want" was his attitude. Then we went to the sight where the cruise ship's excursion was (The Library" site) There were so many people flapping & kicking about, we hopped back on board and said "take us away" On our way to the next site, we came across 7-8 dolphins playing. Jessie got very excited and asked if we want to swim with them.

This was one the most exciting experiences in my life. Jessie moved the boat ahead of the dolphins and had us slide into the water ("try not to splash and scare them off") Three dolphins eyed me and circled me and one dove under me, maybe 2 feet below me. It was so awesome!

Jessie dropped us off in front of Jack's Shack, we had a beer and walked back to the ship. BTW, the beer was $5.00 a bottle, but maybe my economic standard for the price of a beer is different than the above posters:)

This snorkle excursion cost us $30.00 per person, plus the $10.00 in taxi fare, total $70.00.

Archived