Cruising w/ a toddler

AlohaGirlAtHeart

We are planning to cruise this summer with our almost 2 year old for the first time. DH and I cruised once before, but I'm thinking it will be totally different this time around with our son. I'm looking for any kind of advice at this point, from which cruise lines are best with a little one, where to cruise to (warm places only) how to plan around our son, what to expect with our son, and so on....Talk to me,I need to know all :)

It will be different, cruising with a child that young....try to find a ship that will offer some care for a two year old...most lines require kids to be 3...

Potty train your child before cruising....most diapered kids can't use the pools on most ships.

I would wait until the little one is 2 or maybe even 3 and potty trained. There's not a whole lot for them to do on the ship until they can go in the kids club.

If you really want to go before they're 2, I would choose a Royal Caribbean ship - either a Freedom class ship which has a baby splash zone or the Oasis, which lets 2 year olds in the kids club. All Royal Caribbean ships have in cabin babysitting. Disney would be a good choice too.

You said your child is "almost 2" so if you plan on getting away for a while and need babysitting service - look to Disney for Flounders Nursery or Royal Caribbean for in cabin sitting or Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas for their nursery.

Carnival has Under 2 Babysitting and they change diapers - the hours are limited (a couple of hours during the day and after 10pm)

If water play is important to you then make sure you choose a ship that has a water splash area for non-potty trained children. That would be Disney Magic & Wonder or Royal Caribbean Freedom/Liberty/Independence/Oasis of the Seas. None of the other cruise lines or ships will allow a child in a swim diaper in the water/pool areas.

If you wait until he IS 2 and water play is not important, then choose NCL or Carnival because their kids clubs start at age 2.

Where to cruise to is up to you. You might want to look for an itinerary that has a cruise line's private island/private beach so that you can just step off the ship, or tender to the private area. Makes it an easy beach day. And an easy way to get back quickly if he gets cranky and wants to go back to the ship.

Western Caribbean itineraries tend to have more adventurous excursions - which may be better suited for old children. (ie cave tubing, ziplining, river rafting, ATV riding)

Eastern Caribbean and Bahamian itineraries have more beach, shopping and island tours that are better suited to younger children. (ie Coral World in St. Thomas, Atlantis and Blackbeards Cay in the Bahamas, shopping, beach and island excursions in St. Martin)

• 2 weeks later...
You said your child is "almost 2" so if you plan on getting away for a while and need babysitting service - look to Disney for Flounders Nursery or Royal Caribbean for in cabin sitting or Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas for their nursery.

Carnival has Under 2 Babysitting and they change diapers - the hours are limited (a couple of hours during the day and after 10pm)

If water play is important to you then make sure you choose a ship that has a water splash area for non-potty trained children. That would be Disney Magic & Wonder or Royal Caribbean Freedom/Liberty/Independence/Oasis of the Seas. None of the other cruise lines or ships will allow a child in a swim diaper in the water/pool areas.

If you wait until he IS 2 and water play is not important, then choose NCL or Carnival because their kids clubs start at age 2.

Where to cruise to is up to you. You might want to look for an itinerary that has a cruise line's private island/private beach so that you can just step off the ship, or tender to the private area. Makes it an easy beach day. And an easy way to get back quickly if he gets cranky and wants to go back to the ship.

Western Caribbean itineraries tend to have more adventurous excursions - which may be better suited for old children. (ie cave tubing, ziplining, river rafting, ATV riding)

Eastern Caribbean and Bahamian itineraries have more beach, shopping and island tours that are better suited to younger children. (ie Coral World in St. Thomas, Atlantis and Blackbeards Cay in the Bahamas, shopping, beach and island excursions in St. Martin)

First off, I guess my ID is outdated bc now im dad of 4 girls w a 11 month old :)....anyway we were thinking of cruising from NYC in June w the older 3 9,8,& 8.....baby will be 18 months old at time of sailing. wanted to go from NYC to avoid flying w all 4....anyway seems our main choices are explorer of seas or Miracle.....didnt want NE itinerary ( Bermuda or carribean all good for RT NY) but now it seems from reading these posts that neither of these are good options as youngest wont be potty trained & no splash parks on explorer....not to mention some babysitting & club issues.....i have read other posts that say definitely still go , but kind of disappointed at limitations, insights? suggestions?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

First off, I guess my ID is outdated bc now im dad of 4 girls w a 11 month old :)....anyway we were thinking of cruising from NYC in June w the older 3 9,8,& 8.....baby will be 18 months old at time of sailing. wanted to go from NYC to avoid flying w all 4....anyway seems our main choices are explorer of seas or Miracle.....didnt want NE itinerary ( Bermuda or carribean all good for RT NY) but now it seems from reading these posts that neither of these are good options as youngest wont be potty trained & no splash parks on explorer....not to mention some babysitting & club issues.....i have read other posts that say definitely still go , but kind of disappointed at limitations, insights? suggestions?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Well just to recap the pros/cons for you.

PROS

No flying (as you said, huge bonus)

Miracle - Takes Under 2's into Camp Carnival during certain hours (a couple of daytime hours and after 10pm) and changes diapers - babysitting fees apply

Miracle - Twister Slide (height requirements apply - 42"/48" - pending on if it empties into a pool or doesn't)

Explorer - in cabin babysitting for 12 months and older. Has a "Fisher Price Royal Infants/Tots" play group and bedtime stories. The parents attend with the children.

Explorer - Parades through the Promenade - even little kids like parades

Explorer - Ice Skating rink - I saw kids as young as 3 skating with their parents

CONS

Neither Miracle nor Explorer has a pool for non-potty trained infants. On Explorer there is a children's pool and small slides called Adventure Beach - but this is for kids who are potty trained.

I think flying to Florida just for the ability to use a kiddie pool, just not worth it. I would go for Explorer if I were you. :D If the Explorer price is out of the budget, then go with Miracle.

Thanks cruisinmama, have read many of your posts, VERY helpful.....i guess there are a few other options (HAL veendam, Celebrity summit, NCL dan & Jewel, Carribean Princess) as well but i think from reading all the posts, i kind of mentally eliminated them already, concur? It seems for the 3 older girls Explorer is best choice hands down....the to be 18 month is " the monkey wrench" lol.....never know what to expect in life.....welcome all thoughts.

Thanks cruisinmama, have read many of your posts, VERY helpful.....i guess there are a few other options (HAL veendam, Celebrity summit, NCL dan & Jewel, Carribean Princess) as well but i think from reading all the posts, i kind of mentally eliminated them already, concur? It seems for the 3 older girls Explorer is best choice hands down....the to be 18 month is " the monkey wrench" lol.....never know what to expect in life.....welcome all thoughts.

Yes, personally (my opinion only) those two are your best options (CCL and RCCL). You might want to throw NCL into the mix. Compare the prices. There are some GREAT deals on Dawn where the kids can go for $129 on Dawn.

We were docked next to Dawn in NYC and I was able to look onto the children's pool area...looked pretty cool. I had considered doing Dawn myself. I just may someday.

NCL accepts kids as young as 2 and they don't need to be potty trained. They page parents for diaper changes. I don't know as much about their Under 2 program like I know about Carnival. So you may want to ask around about that.

On Dawn/Jewel - you would have no set dining time. You could go when you want. However, on NCL, many of the dining options have a surcharge. So you would have to factor that in if you choose to dine in their specialty restarants.

Yes, personally (my opinion only) those two are your best options (CCL and RCCL). You might want to throw NCL into the mix. Compare the prices. There are some GREAT deals on Dawn where the kids can go for $129 on Dawn.

We were docked next to Dawn in NYC and I was able to look onto the children's pool area...looked pretty cool. I had considered doing Dawn myself. I just may someday.

NCL accepts kids as young as 2 and they don't need to be potty trained. They page parents for diaper changes. I don't know as much about their Under 2 program like I know about Carnival. So you may want to ask around about that.

On Dawn/Jewel - you would have no set dining time. You could go when you want. However, on NCL, many of the dining options have a surcharge. So you would have to factor that in if you choose to dine in their specialty restarants.

Looked at the Dawn for sure as their 3rd/4th are very competitive re pricing & kids fares, but the no in room sitting was a turnoff, was hoping when the 18 month old goes to sleep at 7:30 & the older kids are at kids club night time activities, Mom/dad could go to a show or to a wine bar or something :).....no perfect solution; just have to accept the toddler might affect things dramatically & go with the flow, or wait 1 more year!?

Thanks AGAIN

We will be cruising on the NCL Dawn in 26 days (yay) with our 13 month old DD. I am planning on avoiding the pool area - to avoid temptation and possible tantrums. However, it appears the Under 2 Zoo is open all day. So I can go with her, play, and not worry about lugging lots of toys. We'll spend our time in the water in port. 4 of 5 stops are beach days and the 5th is a catamaran day. Good thing she's part fish!

Good luck with your decision. And thanks to crusinmama06 for the great summary of options.

Archived