Deluxe Day Sail on Queen Mary 2

loves2cruz

Was wondering if anyone has done this sailing. Did they take you to a remote snorkel spot or to Trunk Bay? Was the snorkeling fabulous?

Was this a large catamaran with a lot of people? Our primary goal is to have excellent snorkeling opportunity.

Does anyone know what catamaran company they use?

Thanks

Was wondering if anyone has done this sailing. Did they take you to a remote snorkel spot or to Trunk Bay? Was the snorkeling fabulous?

Was this a large catamaran with a lot of people? Our primary goal is to have excellent snorkeling opportunity.

Does anyone know what catamaran company they use?

Thanks

If you are talking about a tour from Roadtown, I doubt if you would go to Trunk Bay, which is in the USVI - there is good snorkeling on Peter Island, which is just across from Roadtown.

If you are talking about a tour from Roadtown, I doubt if you would go to Trunk Bay, which is in the USVI - there is good snorkeling on Peter Island, which is just across from Roadtown.

(S)he means the St Thomas USVI excursion listed on the Cunard website, I would imagine.

The excursion leaves from Crown Bay where the Queen Mary 2 is docked.

Thanks

I believe, now that I think about it, that we did this last year, and no, it was not Trunk Bay, but Honeymoon Bay beach. The snorkelling spot was both on the way (in a cove where they anchored) and also at Honeymoon (which was in the national park, but not near Trunk). The beach was very lovely and romantic as the name would imply. The company (I've just gone and searched through the dresser for the shirt) was Dancing Dolphin, and it was top notch, although there is no guarantee that it would be the same.

I believe, now that I think about it, that we did this last year, and no, it was not Trunk Bay, but Honeymoon Bay beach. The snorkelling spot was both on the way (in a cove where they anchored) and also at Honeymoon (which was in the national park, but not near Trunk). The beach was very lovely and romantic as the name would imply. The company (I've just gone and searched through the dresser for the shirt) was Dancing Dolphin, and it was top notch, although there is no guarantee that it would be the same.

I really appreciate the time you took to look into this for me. I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out if we would have a better trip by taking a taxi to Red Hook and picking up one of the smaller boats there or going on the Catamaran from Cunard that is so nice and convenient.

Thanks again

From the 2009-2011 Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands (a guide for sailing yachts) - "Honeymoon Bay: A favorite destination of day sail companies, this bay can get crowded during the daytime [not to worry - December is off season for the yachting crowd]. Pick up a mooring either in Caneel Bay or Salomon Bay outside the swim area.

You shoud have a great snorkeling experience.

We so greatly enjoyed the deluxe day sail on the Dancing Dolphin from St. Thomas to St. John in Dec. 2007 that we have booked it again for Jan. 2010. The crew is professional but fun, the catamaran has room enough for everyone, and the snorkel area they bring all to at St. John is large enough for everybody - plus a lovely beach as well. Go for it!:D

If it is the sail to Honeymoon Bay we took it two years ago. Honeymoon Bay is part of the larger bay for Caneel Bay (on the right as you sail into Caneel). On our trip, however, the currents were incredibly strong and the less expereinced snorkelers and swimmers had a difficult time. Perhaps it was just the one day we were on the trip but having gone to both St Thomas and St John many times (mostly on land vacations) we were surprised by the strong current.

We just came off of the QM2 yesterday and did the Deluxe Day Sail. Nothing has changed. We were on the Dancing Dolphin (they have a sister ship that joined us, but I forgot the name at the moment). The crew for our trip was Joe (the captain), Lilly and Ian. The were a delight - very professional, yet loads of fun. Lilly pours a mean rum punch. We went to Honeymoon Beach, where we were swam/snorkeled for around an hour, then were served a lovely deli lunch. The water was a little fough getting back to St. Thomas and my wife got a little ill and the crew (and some passengers) were very attentive to her and helped make her feel better. Much appreciated. I highly recommend it.

Lilly pours a mean rum punch. ...The water was a little fough getting back to St. Thomas and my wife got a little ill and the crew (and some passengers) were very attentive to her and helped make her feel better. Much appreciated. I highly recommend it.

And digging really back into the recesses of my mind, I do remember the rum punch! It was delicious, but know your limits, as they constantly walk around the deck and will hand you another full one before you are even half done on the one you have!!

We had very lively seas, perhaps even a mini-squall, on the way back, with rain blowing and water splashing up through the net. It was a fun ride, but not the greatest for the weak stomachs, especially those too full of the rum punch!:D

Archived