Ginger Pills and/or Candies for Children

Livabeth

Hi everyone,

I am looking at natural methods in case of sea sickness on our next cruise with our girls aged 6 and 10. Has anyone used ginger pills or candies with children?? Did they work and did anyone experience any bad reaction with them??

Alternately, I am considering to buy wrist bands for them. Anyone have any success with these??

We used motion seasickness medication once on our last cruise and it worked, but wanted to consider alternate, natural methods.

Thanks.

The issue about the wrist bands is just like adults they work on some people (adults and/or children) and not others. Even the manufacturer notes that on their information. So, while you can try them and the price is relatively low the may work one some of the children but not all of them.

If you try the other items such as the ginger which are indeed a very good idea I would have the medication at least as a back up.

Do all of you children have problems with motion sickness? I ask because that is normally not the case.

Keith

• 5 weeks later...

My DD (10) got motion sickness last year due to very choppy seas. This was not expected, she loves rides and we usually drive from MN to FL once per year with no problems. She has been on boats before, but never a ship.

Needless to say, we were dining in the main dining room and had to leave due to her motion sickness. We were told by our waitress to go to the pursers desk and ask for dramamine (they were giving tablets away for free). Unfortunately DD has asthma and they told us she couldn't take it. They did, however, tell us to get some ginger ale and a green apple. There is something about green apples that counteracts seasickness. To our surprise, it WORKED! It took about 30-45 minutes but she was much better and we were able to go eat dinner at the buffet. She didn't get seasick for the rest of the cruise but I am definately trying it this time around if someone gets sick! Much better solution than medication if it works! ;)

When we took our first cruise with the kids 3 years ago, I stocked up on every sort of motion sickness remedy-bands, dramamine, and ginger candies. As it turned out, my kids were fine except for one evening when we had rough seas. My son used Gin Gin candies (from the Ginger People) and they worked great. He didn't have any side effects and he didn't mind the taste.

Our DD gets a bit queezy on the tenders or smaller excursion boats -- she just uses standard candied ginger (used in baking). We get ours from the Spice House (locations in Milwaukee and Chicago area and mail order) or Penzy's (various locations throughout the US and mail order). Good quality and very fresh.

The Ginger People do a great job with their candies, but if you look at the ingredient list for some OTHER ginger candy -- there is not that much real ginger in it. So be careful what you buy.

Thanks everyone for your experiences and thoughts. We have some of the GIN GIN People candy, ginger pills and just bough some Hyland Motion Sickness pills that were recommended on our roll call. I think i'm all set for anything!!:D

Thanks everyone for your experiences and thoughts. We have some of the GIN GIN People candy, ginger pills and just bough some Hyland Motion Sickness pills that were recommended on our roll call. I think i'm all set for anything!!:D

I haven't used the motion sickness pills, but Hyland makes some other all naturals items geared towards kids- sniffles and sneezes, cough and cold, etc... since younger kids can't take decongestants my ped recommended them and I have used it twice with my DD3- helped her sleep through the night.

I am glad to know they make a motion sickness med... I may have to look into that.:)

Livabeth, where did you find the GIN GIN People candy in Toronto?

Livabeth, where did you find the GIN GIN People candy in Toronto?

I bought them at a Nutrition House store in Cambridge, but I know that ther are Nutrition House stores in other cities as well. They said they carry them more over Christmas, but it is worth a call around. I heard they work well.

I bought them at a Nutrition House store in Cambridge, but I know that ther are Nutrition House stores in other cities as well. They said they carry them more over Christmas, but it is worth a call around. I heard they work well.

Wow, I'll be right by the Nutrition House tomorrow at the Toronto Eaton Centre. I'm going to get some. I'm sailing on the 16th. Thanks so much.

Good luck ... hope you find them!! If necessary, I am going to try the Hyland Motion Sickness tablets. They are homeopathic, all natural and suppose to be good.

We sail next Thursday ... maybe we will pass somewhere in the Caribbean.

Have fun:)

We went online and bought some Queasy Pops which were suckers with ginger in them. We did however find that they made your mouth very dry! We also suffered with our 6 yr old being extremely seasick. We tried the green apple and it was the one thing that worked the best for us. He wore the seabands thru the entire cruise.

Archived