"Knock-Off purses" on Western Carib. Cruise

NKG6002

Reading this set of post has really given my bad day a good lift.

Lets now talk about buying GAS for your auto.

All of the above can fit right in.

Do You buy GAS ??

While on a cruise if you don't buy over a certain amount you don't have to declare . Is it $600 per person,excluding liquor and cigarettes

Reading this set of post has really given my bad day a good lift.

Lets now talk about buying GAS for your auto.

All of the above can fit right in.

Do You buy GAS ??

While on a cruise if you don't buy over a certain amount you don't have to declare . Is it $600 per person,excluding liquor and cigarettes

LOL is right!

Gas is legal...

http://middleeast.about.com/od/oilenergy/a/me070905e.htm

sure Gas is legal, but why buy it when very young people are dying so you can have it. Do you need it that bad ?

Thus, a kid is helping support there family by making a nockoff.

Ok you keep telling yourself that.. enjoy your knock-0ff/counterfeits:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

We just went to Cayman Islands in Dec 2009. I few stores in from where the cruise ships dock is a store that sells knock offs and it even states it on the wall that they arenot the real thing. Anyway my wife bought a Louis V (I will not attempt to spell it) for more than she should have becuase it was a piece of junk. We got home and with in three days the handle broke. We are returning to that port in October and I am looking for the name of that store. It is owned by a female from Canada. I would like to let her know I will be stopping by for a refund!!! If anyone knows the name or phone number, it would be appriecate it. I know when you buy cheap stuff, you get cheap stuff. But atleast give us 6 months of use before breaking.

We just went to Cayman Islands in Dec 2009. I few stores in from where the cruise ships dock is a store that sells knock offs and it even states it on the wall that they arenot the real thing. Anyway my wife bought a Louis V (I will not attempt to spell it) for more than she should have becuase it was a piece of junk. We got home and with in three days the handle broke. We are returning to that port in October and I am looking for the name of that store. It is owned by a female from Canada. I would like to let her know I will be stopping by for a refund!!! If anyone knows the name or phone number, it would be appriecate it. I know when you buy cheap stuff, you get cheap stuff. But atleast give us 6 months of use before breaking.

Why 6 months? I would think 5 months, 29 days and 30 seconds would be ok...All I can say is if Canadian female stands behind her knockoff ten months later and gives you anything, she's a stand up person. Don't be surprised you get an extended stay in G.C. due to her calling the cops on you, mad Dan... :D

Cat's right.. plus the fakes look fake...

My suggestion would be to purchase a really nice no name leather bag for about the same money you would spend on a knockoff.. or buy the real thing... :)

They do indeed. For those who have never owned one, it may not be. For others, it is quite obvious.

If its' legitimate, Your grandaughter can bring it to any Dior store and get it fixed or repaired... free

This is very true. Real designers stand behind their product, and so they should because people pay a premium for it.

But I do agree with something. Spending $100 for a purse is stupid.

I don't agree with this at all. If you buy quality products, they will last you for years to come. However, I would say that spending $15,000 on a purse (Hermes Birkin) is idiotic IMO.:rolleyes: Someone else with the means to afford one may disagree.

To the OP - I think Lemur has given you great advice, find a Coach outlet store that sells the real thing. You can often find "true bargains" as low as $65-70. Don't do your daughter the disservice of buying a fake. If she is as wonderful as you say, don't you think she deserves it? It would be wonderful if you could surprise her with the real thing.

Dan, Maybe you should just show up with the bag and not let her know

in advance that you are coming. You are much more apt to get a

refund with a broken bag, standing in the middle of a shop filled with

other cruisers, ready to show them your purchase.

OK, so now I understand that buying a knockoff bag is a morally bankrupt activity and the OP should do without since they would be smugglers, sweatshop supporters, and supporting third world exploitation, etc. if they did buy one. Horrors! :eek:

So, let's get the discussion back to useful threads such as how to sneak liquor on board or why I can share my soda card with the entire family, etc. :p

To the OP, I hope you find a terrific bag for your daughter. Have a great trip!

Go to Puerto Rico. They have a Coach Outlet Store and a Dooney & Burke Outlet Store across the street from each other. I have bought several Coach purses in the outlet stores in the US for around $50.

I have bought 4 Coach purses on cruises. 3 purses had leather straps that peeled. One purse was all cloth and no problems.

I second that!

1. They are junk!

2. You are supporting criminals. They may be independent criminals but that's unlikely. More likely they have ties to the drug trade and/or terrorists.

3. Your daughter is taught that being a phony has your blessing!

Image is NOTHING!

Integrity is everything!

OMG...seriously this is one of the most intense boards I have read!

To the OP, we saw several areas to buy all sorts of pursers. Some were obviously try to look exactly like the original one's but others sort of "reminded" you of the original. DW actually liked the later better. But the quality on all was terrible. We picked up one that the zipper was already coming off, stitching was off and clasps didn't close right.

As for don't purchase you are supporting "bad" things...come on....

What about all those 5-t-shirts for $10 places? Do we know for a fact that the money from them doesn't go to drugs or whatever?

What about those "handmade" leather belts? Are we sure U.S. child labor laws are followed when those were made?

What about those blown glass decorations or even the huge bottles of tequila that were like $10? All the money for that "only" go for good?????? What about all those $3.00 shot glasses, cards, key chains and other trinkets? Everyone has confirmed that money from those is "only" done for good?

Any argument made for why it is bad to buy a knock off purse could be made for anything purchased out of the country.

As for what I did, I did buy a couple of cheap t-shirts for the kids. The only t-shirt I bought myself from was from Stingray sailings (but I'm sure he bought locally). Wife also picked up all those free charms, one at each port. It was a nice bracelet for daughter. But can only image how they were made....:eek:

I hope the OP has a good time on their cruise and brings something nice home for her daughter...

To the OP, we saw several areas to buy all sorts of pursers. Some were obviously try to look exactly like the original one's but others sort of "reminded" you of the original. DW actually liked the later better. But the quality on all was terrible. We picked up one that the zipper was already coming off, stitching was off and clasps didn't close right.

What about all those 5-t-shirts for $10 places? Do we know for a fact that the money from them doesn't go to drugs or whatever?

What about those "handmade" leather belts? Are we sure U.S. child labor laws are followed when those were made?

What about those blown glass decorations or even the huge bottles of tequila that were like $10? All the money for that "only" go for good?????? What about all those $3.00 shot glasses, cards, key chains and other trinkets? Everyone has confirmed that money from those is "only" done for good?

Any argument made for why it is bad to buy a knock off purse could be made for anything purchased out of the country.

As for what I did, I did buy a couple of cheap t-shirts for the kids. The only t-shirt I bought myself from was from Stingray sailings (but I'm sure he bought locally). Wife also picked up all those free charms, one at each port. It was a nice bracelet for daughter. But can only image how they were made....:eek:

I hope the OP has a good time on their cruise and brings something nice home for her daughter...

Someone who shares my view! Another view is isn't the whole concept of cruising lack integrity? Lots of waste and pollution, cruise workers are basically work in similar conditions to sweatshops...Lastly, what a lot of people like to ignore, cruise line worker sexual exploitation. Cruise workers want better conditions, they pay off their supervisors with certain favors...

My stay at home daughter is requesting a souvenir "knock-ff" designer purse from our cruise. Which port (Cozumel,Belize,Roatan,Grand Cayman) is the best to shop for them ? Any tips on "haggling" for the best price ? Any tips in general ? Thanks in advance !:)

The best word to use in negotiating for anything is "No." Nothing motivates a seller to lower his/her price more than looking at your back walking away.

Well....you could have a point. However, there is some gray area even in morals and ethics. Even though laws seem to be black and white, its not always that way and I know in my daily life I dont live black and white. Sometimes you make a judgement call based on all sorts of factors involved for each situation. If everyone followed black and white, including rules and laws, there would be no room for common sense.

Did you read the entire thread? You are siding with an admitted scofflaw. How much integrity is there in obeying all of the laws except for the ones you don't feel the need to, such as obeying the speed limit?

Well said...and the OP didn't even ASK an opinion on IF he/she should buy one, but simply where. :rolleyes:

O.K. the "OP" is back from the cruise !!!!!! I went with my daughter who also went with me a year and a half ago. She bought a "knock off" then, uses it daily and was still using it on this cruise and it is still in great shape !!! For anyone interested, Belize IS the place to look for them...... Thanks for all the input on both sides of the issue :D

Archived