"Collector" cruise?

dwilliamson

First cruise. I've booked a HAL cruise on Sept 18, 2010 leaving Vancouver, returning to Vancouver after 7 days, then on to San Francisco for three days. I assume that this is what I would call a repositioning cruise in that the Zuiderdam will then be cruising around Panama during the winter months. They call it a collector cruise.

My question is: what can I expect on the Vancouver to San Francisco portion of the cruise? A fairly empty boat? I noticed that the Vancouver and return is available for booking as a 7 days cruise . . . but the Vancouver to SF leg is not offered separately . . . so I would expect that most people would get off in Vancouver.

Not a big deal. Just curious. Might change our strategy about what to do on the boat during the 7 day cruise (spa, etc) as opposed to three days at sea on an empty boat.

Thoughts? And thanks for responding. This is a great board. Glad I stumbled upon it. Wonderful people.

I think you should expect a nice time on the ship with far fewer passengers there.

You have the right approarch. For the first seven days you can focus on the ports of call that you will visit knowing that you can enjoy the ship those last three days by doing some of the things you mentioned such as the spa appointment.

Keith

As Vancouver is not a US port, there are no laws restricting the sale of the 3 day segment on its own.

Vancouver to San Francisco is offered on its own as a 3 day cruise: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/FindCruises.action?destCode=L&durationCode=&portCode=YVR&dateCode=9_2010&shipCodeSearch=UU

Some years ago, I booked a cruise on the Rotterdam from Miami to Los Angeles. A couple of weeks later, the travel agent let me know that we could add three days to the trip, disembarking in Vancouver, BC, for about $100 each (if memory serves me, and sometimes, it doesn't.)

The cruise was absolutely elegant out of Miami. It was the last leg of the annual world cruise, and we met many passengers who had been on the ship the entire trip and also, many who had boarded in New York or in Europe. One of the ship's officers sat at our table on formal nights (four of them) and bought wine for the table each of those nights. A string quartet (maybe it was more than four - memory?) played during tea each afternoon, and there were guest lecturers to tell us about the history of the Panama Canal and some cultural information about Central America.

On leaving Los Angeles, our table mates were all new to us, but they were charming people. The "feel" of the ship changed. I saw my first hula hoop contest aboard ship (or anywhere else, for that matter) as we cruised up the coast of North America. The bars were much busier than they'd been, even compared to the sea days on our original leg. There was one formal night, but very few gowns and even fewer tuxedos appeared that night. I felt seriously overdressed in one of the gowns I'd worn early on the trip. My friend and I were alone at our table for eight on formal night, but our new dining companions appeared the following night. We were told that they had not packed any formal wear, as it was such a short cruise.

I enjoyed those three days at sea, but it definitely felt like an entirely different travel experience from the first sixteen days.

As Vancouver is not a US port, there are no laws restricting the sale of the 3 day segment on its own.

Vancouver to San Francisco is offered on its own as a 3 day cruise: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/FindCruises.action?destCode=L&durationCode=&portCode=YVR&dateCode=9_2010&shipCodeSearch=UU

great. didn't know you can do that. thanks

I think you should expect a nice time on the ship with far fewer passengers there.

If this is referring to mostly empty cabins??? Sorry, doesn't happen, these cruises many times sail full, they just keep discounting until they sell. What people don't realize that these are big give away deals for travel industry employees, with $99+++ offers.

First cruise. I've booked a HAL cruise on Sept 18, 2010 leaving Vancouver, returning to Vancouver after 7 days, then on to San Francisco for three days. I assume that this is what I would call a repositioning cruise in that the Zuiderdam will then be cruising around Panama during the winter months. They call it a collector cruise.

My question is: what can I expect on the Vancouver to San Francisco portion of the cruise? A fairly empty boat? I noticed that the Vancouver and return is available for booking as a 7 days cruise . . . but the Vancouver to SF leg is not offered separately . . . so I would expect that most people would get off in Vancouver.

Not a big deal. Just curious. Might change our strategy about what to do on the boat during the 7 day cruise (spa, etc) as opposed to three days at sea on an empty boat.

Thoughts? And thanks for responding. This is a great board. Glad I stumbled upon it. Wonderful people.

Be well prepared in your attire and plans for Alaska, these last season sailings aren't ideal. And knowing the best options will greatly enhance your trip.

Well, I think I'll be prepared regarding attire . . . I assume it may be colder and wetter than a mid-summer cruise and I'm prepared to deal with that via layering of appropriate clothing.

But otherwise, regarding "plans" . . . what do you mean, Budget Queen? What "best options" are you referring to?

Regarding excursions, my tentative plans are whales in Juneau, renting a car in Skagway and driving up to Emerald Lake, and Misty Fjord floatplane in Ketchikan. And I understand that weather may play havoc with all of them, particularly the floatplane.

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts you can offer, Budget Queen. I am a sponge.

One caution about renting a car in Skagway late in the season. Avis closes early, before the season ends, often without warning to even the locals. Avis transfers their cars to Juneau and Anchorage and the date may not be known in advance. Based upon car ferry schedule and space available, their closing date can change with little warning.

Many excursions start winding down at the beginning of September and stop before the end of the season.

The weather can be anything in September. It is supposed to be chilly, windy and rainy with high temperatures that might average around 50F/10C. Based upon my experiences, an illogical rule of thumb seems to apply; if weather has been great all summer, it will change to poor in September. However during one of the miserable weather all summer years, you can experience great weather, sunny skies, T-shirts and the best weather all year.

Expect poor weather, but pack a pair of shorts and a T-shirt for "emergencies". There isn't a bad time for cruising Alaska, just different better times depending on your interests and focus. End of season offers great discounts on shopping and many tours still operating will be less crowded.

Well, I think I'll be prepared regarding attire . . . I assume it may be colder and wetter than a mid-summer cruise and I'm prepared to deal with that via layering of appropriate clothing.

But otherwise, regarding "plans" . . . what do you mean, Budget Queen? What "best options" are you referring to?

Regarding excursions, my tentative plans are whales in Juneau, renting a car in Skagway and driving up to Emerald Lake, and Misty Fjord floatplane in Ketchikan. And I understand that weather may play havoc with all of them, particularly the floatplane.

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts you can offer, Budget Queen. I am a sponge.

Avis, may not be open out of Skagway, with you going so late in the season, verify this, should be on the web site. Going in your timeframe, has dusk at 7pm, plan carefully, if you have late port times. It's not an assumption, it is colder, expect temps in the 40's++ average 3 days of rain, good rain gear is vital.

My point is to fully research your port plans, and chose the best options in this timeframe. As an example, hiking/kayaking would have to be prepared to do so in the rain, colder temps- maybe not as attractive knowing this?? A few tours are not available, so research. :)

I understand exactly what you are saying. Fortunately, my wife and I aren't very delicate. Bad weather won't deter us. We'll just take it in stride.

As for Avis and the other excursions, my plans are very tentative . . . based on online research. I also want to call and talk to the people offering the excursions but this is a lousy time for it since I suspect they've closed up for the season. Avis, for example, is closed and I won't be able to talk to them until, what, May?

But thanks for your thoughts.

Archived