Single Traveller for Xmas - Lots of Advice Needed Please - Celebration or Destiny?

Hi

I am thinking of booking the Celebration Egypt Xmas Cruise or the Destiny Caribbean Cruise but cannot decide which. There is only £100 difference in the price.

I am travelling alone and really looking forward to some well deserved 'me time' and just pleasing myself. I'm not planning on doing any excursions at this stage but may change my mind when I get on board.

A thing that is important to me is a decent gym as I like to go every day for a workout (and yes I will be doing so on Xmas Day, but before I overindulge on my Xmas dinner and plenty of wine!!!) Can anyone advise me about the gym facilities on both boats and what equipment they have? Does one have a better gym than the other?

Also does anyone know what the weather will be like for the Egypt Celebration cruise? And is it pretty much guaranteed to be hot in the Caribbean at that time of year?

Regarding dress standards - I was thinking of taking one long evening dress for the formal night, then wearing little black dresses or trousers with a nice top on the other nights? Is this too dressy?

Also, I'm trying to keep costs down as I'm still getting over the shock of the single person supplement. Are you allowed to take your own alcohol on board when you embark? I like a glass of wine while I'm getting ready to go out and thought I might treat myself to a bottle of champagne on Xmas day but am a bit wary of the prices on board.

Finally I'm quite happy to amuse myself and enjoy just chilling out with a good book but do you know if there are likely to be many other single travellers? At meal times, do you know if single travellers sit on their own table or do we all get put on one big table together?

Would be very grateful for any advice and answers you can give me.

Thanks x

Hi

I am thinking of booking the Celebration Egypt Xmas Cruise or the Destiny Caribbean Cruise but cannot decide which. There is only £100 difference in the price.

I am travelling alone and really looking forward to some well deserved 'me time' and just pleasing myself. I'm not planning on doing any excursions at this stage but may change my mind when I get on board.

A thing that is important to me is a decent gym as I like to go every day for a workout (and yes I will be doing so on Xmas Day, but before I overindulge on my Xmas dinner and plenty of wine!!!) Can anyone advise me about the gym facilities on both boats and what equipment they have? Does one have a better gym than the other?

Also does anyone know what the weather will be like for the Egypt Celebration cruise? And is it pretty much guaranteed to be hot in the Caribbean at that time of year?

Regarding dress standards - I was thinking of taking one long evening dress for the formal night, then wearing little black dresses or trousers with a nice top on the other nights? Is this too dressy?

Also, I'm trying to keep costs down as I'm still getting over the shock of the single person supplement. Are you allowed to take your own alcohol on board when you embark? I like a glass of wine while I'm getting ready to go out and thought I might treat myself to a bottle of champagne on Xmas day but am a bit wary of the prices on board.

Finally I'm quite happy to amuse myself and enjoy just chilling out with a good book but do you know if there are likely to be many other single travellers? At meal times, do you know if single travellers sit on their own table or do we all get put on one big table together?

Would be very grateful for any advice and answers you can give me.

Thanks x

Can't help with all your questions - in particular the gym as I don't use it (although I should really to help with all the extra calorie intake :eek: ).

But your ideas of appropriate clothing for evenings sounds perfect and very much in keeping with what most would wear.

Thomson are very good about allowing you to take alocohol on board and will also sell you duty free for your own consumption. Prices in the duty free shop on board are very good especially for spirits but I'm not sure I saw any wine when we were on Celebration recently. But you'd have no difficulty buying some on shore to take on board.

There is a social hostess on board and in the Cruise News there are opportunities offered for singles to meet for a drink in the bar, coffee etc. I think they also have an evening organised by the social host to all eat together - but how it works through the week, I'm not sure. On Celebration, it's open dining so unless there is a designated table for singles you could go to any table. On Destiny it's fixed dining so presumably you'd be placed with other single travellers. One thing you will find though on Thomson ships is that everyone is very friendly and I'm sure you won't be short of company - should you want it.

I'm not sure about the relative merits in relation to temperatures at the two destinations but should you wish to drift off the ship to have a look around, as apposed to going on an organised tour, I believe the Caribbean ports would be easier from that point of view. Most have lovely beaches nearby - if you fancied a change of scene. Some of the trips on the Red Sea itinerary are very long and the ports not very attractive. (I'm sure some others will have more advice on this aspect.)

Best of luck with your decision making. Thomson ships have a great atmosphere and are very warm and welcoming so I hope you will enjoy whichever trip you go on. :)

The Destiny gym has rowing machines, running machines, treadmill, and weights. It was used a lot by my husband (and the show team dancers!).

The Caribbean will be hot, around 30c. Bliss in December!

Lisa was the social hostess on Destiny last December, she is lovely, as is Captain Psarrakis. The whole ship has a very friendly atmosphere, and the entertainments team are great.

Your outfits sound lovely, I was very struck at how people dressed up every night. You would struggle to be over-dressed, and I would expect Christmas to be more dressy if anything.

The excursions are worth looking at, my friend did a couple on her own as the rest of us were doing other things and she enjoyed herself. If you are happy to talk to people you will get on fine. The only worry she had was if she needed the loo, she was afraid the group would go without her. She said she would just ask someone to make sure they waited for her another time.

We are on Celebration next June so cannot comment on her yet.

Have a lovely time whichever you choose.

Carol x

Hi

Yes, Thomson let you bring your own booze on board unlike other cruise lines. Also consider the "all-inclusive" for £169. It may sound like a lot but the drink prices soon add up and if you like a drink, especially over Christmas it may be a option for you.

The Gym on the Destiny is VERY SMALL. You need to be in early to get one of the 2 running machines. And only 2 Cross Trainers. The entertainment staff tend to hug the machines first thing in the morning.

Havent been on the Celebration yet. (July 2010) but if you go by the pictures in the brochures the Celebration Gym looks much bigger. As previous poster said there is organised meets for the single travellers, young and old. So you should link up with like minded people as yourself.

Enjoy:)

Paul used to go to the gym in the late afternoon, after we had been on our excursion or out for the day and before we changed for dinner. I prefer to walk the prom deck, I think three laps is a mile.

Have a lovely time!

Carol x

Archived