Martha's Vineyard

Guest THE EDS

Guest THE EDS

My DH and I will be sailing RCCL Enchantment of the Seas the end of July, 2005, part of the itinary shows a stop at Martha's Vineyard. Has anyone done this stop, I realize it will be tendered but where do they tender you to? Can't find any info regarding tours, etc.

I would appreciate any info about the vineyard anyone has

THANK YOU

THE EDS

No idea where they tender you to, but I imagine it would have to be Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluff, which are the two ports where the ferries dock from the mainland. They're only a few miles from each other, and each has plenty of shopping and dining opportunities. Beaches are a little further away.

I'd recommend either shopping, the beach, or golf, if you enjoy that. Farm Neck is where Bill Clinton used to play and is gorgeous.

This is a pretty good website for Island info

In the summer months there is a lot of traffic on the vineyard, but the tourism board has bus stops in edgartown, vinyardhaven, and oaks bluff and it's very cheap... about $5.00 for all day. You can get on and off as often as you want and it takes you to all 3 towns on the island and you can get off along the beaches along the way. If you're looking for a good place for lunch while in Edgartown, right off Main Street the Mewes is a good place for soups & sandwiches and the Main Street diner is also really good. Not quite as quaint as the Mewes.

I spent a couple of summers there, and they tendered people into Oak Bluffs at that time. That is on the Northeast side of the island. There are a lot of little shops, and a beach there. Edgartwon is on the Southeast corner of the island, and is a much nicer place to visit IMHO. Whatever you do, don't rent one of those mopeds in Oak Bluffs. The hospital there seems to survive on the people hurt on mopeds! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. We live here on the lovely island of martha's vineyard. You will be tendering in Oak Bluffs. The only cruise ship that doesn't tender is the Nantucket Clipper. It's small enough to dock in Vineyard Haven. For info try http://www.mvol.com. If we can answer any questions feel free to ask.

• 4 months later...
Guest THE EDS

We will be taking the RCCL bus tour when we reach Marthas Vineyard, this is a strange question but I hope someone can answer it for me. The tour is 3 and a half hours will there be rest room stops, if so where and are the rr reasonably clean? Hope this question doesn't offend anyone

THE EDS

It sounds like the tour will take you to many of the towns on the Vineyard. Yes, there will be rest rooms there and the ones I have seen all have been clean. There is usually a tourist info area nearby and they can tell you where to go.

Hi Eds

The tour you taking is most likely with island transport. As far as I know they make a stop in Edgartown and in Aquinnah. Most of the public restrooms on the island are tidy. It might be cheaper to book directly through them. http://www.mvtours.com

K

Hi Eds

The tour you taking is most likely with island transport. As far as I know they make a stop in Edgartown and in Aquinnah. Most of the public restrooms on the island are tidy. It might be cheaper to book directly through them. www.mvtours.com

K

Humm - I think it is a bit of a stretch - Martha's Vineyard to Romania!?!?:D The link sends you to a Romanian Tour site!

We rented a car at the Budget Rent-a-Car office (Location B11 on their website) The location is just to the right and a 30 second walk from where the tenders dock. A full size vehicle was $69 for 5 hour rental. We plan to tour the island at a leisurely pace, stop where we want and as long as we want. We like lighthouses, and there are several on MV. We'll grab some literature from the MV Chamber of Commerce website before we depart. An alternative is the MV trolley tour...a little more regimented, but still sounds like fun.

Archived