Another Early Saver Question

redrob1234

When I use the Carnival website booking engine my cruise looks like there has been a price drop. Same date, category etc. The actual cruise rate for each person is the same (quad share) but the Gov't fees & taxes is less. I am booked as ES so should my overall price be reduced or does the ES program only cover you for the Fare component and not the taxes?

Someone else said taxes dropped $22, and they were having trouble getting it back. How much have the taxes and fees dropped??

Some TAs break out port charges from the cruise fare, and it comfuses the issue. When you look at the bottom line total, how much less $$$ are you seeing?

Fare and taxes are two separate charges. That's why they break them out separately.

I think the ES rules only apply to fares, since governments can raise or lower taxes at any time and Carnival has no control over that.

I *hope* that the tax adjustment, if any, would be made at the time of final payment and not as part of a price adjustment credit.

I keep checking, but so far it seems I have nothing to worry about.:rolleyes:

Everytime I check the prices keep going UP:(

Dang it!! I want some OBC.

It wouldn't matter if it was just $20

It would make me feel like I was starting out a little

bit ahead of the game.:p

In the mean time, I will keep checking.

TA has just emailed and acknowledged that the taxes have gone down and he will submit a price adjustment for me. Now let's wait and see how Carnival deal with the request. :)

I know many people are not a fan of the ES rates but in my case it was the best thing to do. We are spending a little over 4 weeks in the US (from Australia) and this is just one week of our trip. Our flights are booked using points so we have very limited flexibility and we have no plans to cancel or amend the dates for this cruise. We initially saved $380 by booking ES and now possibly a futher $40 and as far I can see the only real downside is the non-refundable deposit. If for some reason we do have to cancel our trip I have a very comprehensive Travel Insurance policy that will cover us.

Also, I chose the date to book in this cruise by watching the currency and confirmed the booking and paid deposit on a day that the Aussie $ was very strong.

When I use the Carnival website booking engine my cruise looks like there has been a price drop. Same date, category etc. The actual cruise rate for each person is the same (quad share) but the Gov't fees & taxes is less. I am booked as ES so should my overall price be reduced or does the ES program only cover you for the Fare component and not the taxes?

Read the rules for Early Saver and you'll see that price protection is for the cruise fare only....taxes and fees are additional and not figured into the cruise fare. Here:

Price Protection:

Price protection applies to new Early Saver bookings only and requires payment of a non-refundable and non-transferable deposit. Applies to cruise fare only.

So the question to ask...

If your taxes goes up are you locked in to the tax rate you signed up for? Even if the fare price goes down?

I was on a different rate last January, my taxes went up, the rate went down. They had quit giving refunds for price drops by then, but wanted me to pay the $22 the fees went up.

My TA finally was able to get Carnival to subtract the extra $22 from the price drop and upgrade me so everyone was happy and I didnt have to pay the extra $22 ... but only because the rate dropped. Otherwise I would have had to pay it or my TA said the $22 would be charged to my onboard account if not paid before I boarded.

You arent locked into the lower tax rate from when you booked, it can changed before you cruise.

I will wait and see. I'm not bothered either way but you should really only be charged the taxes and charges that the cruise line is charged so if taxes go up or down I would expect the difference to be passed on. I will definately report back in a few days time when Carnival have responded to my TA's request.

My TA just got word from Carnival that a change in taxes does not change the ES rate so I am not entitled to a price drop. I'm not sure what would happen it the taxes go up.

My TA has offered to 'split the difference' and gave me a $25 OBC - I'm very happy with that as technically I'm not entitled to anything. :)

Archived