How did you wash/clean your toddler?

CoolTripletMom

Taking my 3 year old triplets on a RCCL cruise to Bermuda in May and was wondering how to wash them. They don't take showers, only baths and I can't guarantee I can train them to take showers by then (got other trainings that are a top priority right now).

I can imagine being in the pools and on the beach they'll get dirty and would like to wash them up each night. How should I go about doing this? And if I am forced to only use the shower - I recall on my last cruise the water not always being very warm and that concerns me for them as well.

my son then 4, had never had a shower when we took him on his first cruise. It made bath time interesting, but keep in mind that all the shower (at least in the cabins I have had) have shower heads.

I always ran the water to be sure it was warm enough (never a problem for us), wet him turned the water off, lathered & then turned the water back on to rinse....

I would practice a bit before you go, but am sure everything will be just fine!

Enjoy your cruise! :D

Some will bring some sort of tub---inflatable....to use in the shower. The shower heads are hand-held, so it's not like they'll be 4 ft. above their head!

Start practicing now, if you can! Or, book a cabin with a tub, if you can swing it!

Target has the famous duck blow up tub that lots of us here have used because it fits perfectly into the small showers in the cabins. It has a suction cup on it so once it's blown up, you can stick it to the wall out of the way. I bring a couple plastic bups to use for rinsing their hair in the tub.

Best,

Mia

Pending on how big they are, you can try the duck tub. But I can tell you, at that age, I just grabbed the kids and in the shower each one went with me. Then I would hand each one out to my husband who would wrap one in a towel and hand the next one in. ;)

AND, the shower heads are detachable. So it's not like you have to have the shower high over their head. You can remove it and let them hold it and spray each other if they want. :D

Pending on how big they are, you can try the duck tub. But I can tell you, at that age, I just grabbed the kids and in the shower each one went with me. Then I would hand each one out to my husband who would wrap one in a towel and hand the next one in. ;)

AND, the shower heads are detachable. So it's not like you have to have the shower high over their head. You can remove it and let them hold it and spray each other if they want. :D

This was just too funny!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My youngest (he will be 4 on dec. 21) doesn't like showers.....but once he sees that the shower head is detachable, I think that he will be alright....well, he will have to be....cuz he won't be doing anything else until he is clean... yup, I'm a mean mommy....lol....

They've never had a shower?! Wow. I think at age 3, this would be a good time to introduce. It's quick and easy. The shower in staterooms is NOT big so you may need to do an assembly line. You could bring an inflatable pool/bath but they aren't big... esp for 3 year olds. My 10 month old loved the rubber duck blow up from Target-- we put it on the balcony (which had a little drain near the actual balcony). But it was a pain to cart water into it. Again, he was a baby so he didn't need much. We're going on a cruise soon- my son is nearly 3. He will be doing showers. He loves them. :D

2256017671_0205b74c87.jpg

They've never had a shower?! Wow. I think at age 3, this would be a good time to introduce. It's quick and easy. The shower in staterooms is NOT big so you may need to do an assembly line. You could bring an inflatable pool/bath but they aren't big... esp for 3 year olds. My 10 month old loved the rubber duck blow up from Target-- we put it on the balcony (which had a little drain near the actual balcony). But it was a pain to cart water into it. Again, he was a baby so he didn't need much. We're going on a cruise soon- my son is nearly 3. He will be doing showers. He loves them. :D

Yeah, having triplets is a whole other beast. You can't train them as quickly or as soon on things as you could if you only had 1 kid to deal with. Trying new things with 1 kid is easy compared to 3 at a time! Got enough going on and baths have worked fine thus far. Plus, my kids hate having cups of water put on their head to wash their hair, so don't know how much they would enjoy water spraying down on them constantly like in a shower. But we will try over the course of the next couple months just for this cruise.

Thanks! Didnt' realize the shower heads would be detachable. That would actually help. I just remember the water being so dang cold though so we'll have to be fast.

I have never found the water to be cold - perhaps you just had a bad experiece? We cruise on CCL and they have a little dial that has a lock on it, so that if you want to take it higher than a certain degree C (not F!) you have to press the button. I can't stand it as hot as the locked setting, and usually turn it down!

I think the kids will have fun with the shower head; on CCL not only can you detach it, but you can also lower it down. Just bathe them one at a time so you don't have a war over who gets to squirt first!:D

Yeah, having triplets is a whole other beast. You can't train them as quickly or as soon on things as you could if you only had 1 kid to deal with. Trying new things with 1 kid is easy compared to 3 at a time! Got enough going on and baths have worked fine thus far. Plus, my kids hate having cups of water put on their head to wash their hair, so don't know how much they would enjoy water spraying down on them constantly like in a shower. But we will try over the course of the next couple months just for this cruise.

Now, your post makes a lot of sense! lol

I couldn't image 3 toddlers all at once! My soon to be 4 year old hates water poored on his head also! ....but the shower doesn't bother him as much as that.... Maybe they will like the shower?

My 6 yr old DS still hates to have water poured over his head but he doesn't mind showers so much because he knows that he can control what part of him that gets wet based on where he stands in the shower; although he still likes the hand held showers best. I think both of my kids used showers for the first time while on vacation and they accepted it because so much of their surroundings were different. When they were little, we would just take them into the shower with us and we would clean them as quickly as possible. When they were a bit older it was explained that this is just the way we do it while we are away because this is what is available. I can just imagine their reaction when someday in the future, we travel somewhere and the toilet is just a hole in the floor with two foot prints on either side and the toilet paper is an old phone book! :eek: Ahh, the joys of new experiences while travelling.

i really don't understand all fuss about a shower ? my dd has been doing showers since she was 1. Just put them in there don't give them a choice.she now prefers showers with myself and dw . she's 18 months now

HAHAHAHAHA is she your only one? If you ever have two, you will see that ALL kids are different. :D And even the same kids have differerent quirks at different ages. When my youngest was a baby, she loved water being poured over her head. By the time she was 2, she was an avid underwater swimmer. By the time she was 5, if even a drop of water came off the shower and accidentally got into her eye, she would scream bloody murder. ;)

Kids evolve. So I can see the point everyone is making. What the child loves today, she may loathe tomorrow. :D:D:D

cruisinmamma yes she is my only 1 and no there will be no more . i'm not saying she doesn't like a bath but when there is no time for it she just sits at the bottom of the shower and plays . guess i just been lucky so far:rolleyes:

cruisinmama is right - they are all different, and the way we treat the first and subsequent children is different, too. We had 3 little ones in less than 3.5 years.

From our showering experiience:

Baby No. 1 - washed carefully by hand, while sitting in the baby bath, inside the adult bath. Everything done "by the book"!

Baby No. 2 - washed in the big bath, while older brother was playing with toys. Scooped out and towel-wrapped while big brother was washed.

Baby No. 3 - Sat in the bottom of the shower, while her big brothers soaped themselves and then her. Boys got out first and stood wrapped in towels while I rinsed soap off little sister and then I dried them all. By the time little No. 3 was born, we had given up baths for the boys, because the family dog (who was convinced she was one of the kids) liked to jump in the bath, too. :D

Kids and dog all survived to a healthyy adulthood!!

cruisinmama is right - they are all different, and the way we treat the first and subsequent children is different, too. We had 3 little ones in less than 3.5 years.

From our showering experiience:

Baby No. 1 - washed carefully by hand, while sitting in the baby bath, inside the adult bath. Everything done "by the book"!

Baby No. 2 - washed in the big bath, while older brother was playing with toys. Scooped out and towel-wrapped while big brother was washed.

Baby No. 3 - Sat in the bottom of the shower, while her big brothers soaped themselves and then her. Boys got out first and stood wrapped in towels while I rinsed soap off little sister and then I dried them all. By the time little No. 3 was born, we had given up baths for the boys, because the family dog (who was convinced she was one of the kids) liked to jump in the bath, too. :D

Kids and dog all survived to a healthyy adulthood!!

This is so funny! Sounds like great memories were made.:)

This is so funny! Sounds like great memories were made.:)

thanks.

Yes, 3 littlies in less than 3.5 years was hard work, but it was worth it! And they are all good buddies now.

Our middle child has just made us grandparents for the first time, so we are looking forward to more "baby time"! :)

cooltripletmom--the showers may go better than you expect...my DD, who is almost 21 months old, absolutely despises getting her hair washed in the tub, as in screams bloody murder as soon as a drop of water touches her head, but she is more manageable in the shower (granted, she still doesn't "like" it, but it is more just fussing than all out screaming/wailing/trying to climb out of the tub...good luck! by the way, kudos to you for doing this! Everyone thought we were nuts for taking DD on her first cruise at 18 months old; I couldn't imagine having a go at a cruise vacation w/ 3 toddlers in tow!!

Archived