No OBC after final payment????

Kaboochi

I hope I am wrong but...... My TA just told me that Carnival changed their policy and no longer gives OBC for a price drop, once the final payment has been made. Since final payment for our Pride 4/18 sailing is due Feb 2, there will be a 75 day window for additional drops. I think that stinks.

You know how it goes - on the final payment date some booked passengers decline and cabins become available. If enough cancel in your cabin category the rate goes down. I think Carnival should offer the price drop to booked passa\engers as an OBC. I don't like their new policy :confused: I won't cancel my trip becuase I enjoy Carnival ships but I think they need to change their thinking.

Royal gives OBC up to 48 hours prior to departure. CCR - rethink PLEASE

If you book an Early Saver fare, you are entitled to OBC after final payment for price drops up until 2 days prior to sailing. Prior to final payment, any price drops will come off what you owe on the cruise. However, Early Saver includes a nonrefundable deposit and a $50 to change ship and/or sailing date.

We have saved a lot of money using Early Saver even with paying for a ship/date change once.

2nd post on the same topic and still fuming I see ! If you don't like the new policy that has been in affect for 1 year, perhaps voice your opinion with the CEO's of CCL ?

If you want to get that OBC, book the "Early Saver" fares but make sure you understand all the catches before making the deposit !

I agree Kaboochee--we were just on the Destiny and refused an obc for a price drop--the message for me is don't book until waaaaay late in the cycle or do the Early Saver-Nothing in between. Someone on the cruise said they got a balcony for $219., so it dropped even more than I knew of......................We live in Florida, so are able to do the waaaay late thing most of the time.

I agree Kaboochee--we were just on the Destiny and refused an obc for a price drop--the message for me is don't book until waaaaay late in the cycle or do the Early Saver-Nothing in between. Someone on the cruise said they got a balcony for $219., so it dropped even more than I knew of......................We live in Florida, so are able to do the waaaay late thing most of the time.

Ahhhhh.... the dreaded "how much did you pay for your cruise" discussion w/ another cruise passenger (which I always steer clear of for just this reason) ! Same thing can happen when seated next to someone on a plane... they either paid more or paid less than you did ! :rolleyes:

If you are not happy with paying a higher price than others may have paid (and you probably do not know all the facts when they provide the rates they advise you of), then go back to the drawing board to figure out how you too can get those ridiculously low rates and follow suit ! Best of luck. :D

I think I know how this the Early Saver works, but can you help me on this:

Do you have to book this Early Saver only through Carnival directly? or can you use any online travel agent for this?

Also, maybe a dumb quesiton, I know what TA stands for (Travel Agent), but was is the other one I keep seeing .... V something ....maybe VP something? and what are they?

Do you have to book this Early Saver only through Carnival directly? or can you use any online travel agent for this?

Also, maybe a dumb quesiton, I know what TA stands for (Travel Agent), but was is the other one I keep seeing .... V something ....maybe VP something? and what are they?

PVP= Carnival's people are called PVP's. Personal Vacation Planners.

Any TA online or brick and mortar can book you under the "Early Saver" promo code if it is applicable to your sailing, just make sure you are aware of all the rules and stipulations before making the deposit.

You are speaking of the PVP which is a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner... some love them/swear by them and some don't.....kinda like TA's and you will get mixed opinions on both of them here at CC thats fer sure ! :D

To get price drops using the Early Saver you need to fill out a specific Carnival form and send it in to Carnival on line. From what I understand, you can't get it through a TA only if you booked directly through Carnival. That's how it was for our cruise in November, unless it's changed since then.

To get price drops using the Early Saver you need to fill out a specific Carnival form and send it in to Carnival on line. From what I understand, you can't get it through a TA only if you booked directly through Carnival. That's how it was for our cruise in November, unless it's changed since then.

If you book with CCL direct YOU must fill out the form you refer to, but if booking thru a TA, it is THEIR responsibility to fill the form out for their client. A TA can book a client under the ES code IF it is applicable to their sailing date and IF they choose to offer this to the client (which many TA's are hesitant to do more now than ever since this low cruise fare cuts into their income !).

Bear in mind that once you do the Early Saver, you are committed. It's like final payment. So though you may get the price drops, you are obligated for the cruise. So should illness or some other event occur that would prevent you from going on the cruise, you better have Cruise Insurance and even that will not cover all circumstances.

I did not take the Early Saver for a 2011 cruise because of this factor. It was considerably cheaper but I just did not want to obligate myself for a date a year and 4 months in the future. This can be an important factor if you are in your 70's or 80's.

Bear in mind that once you do the Early Saver, you are committed. It's like final payment. So though you may get the price drops, you are obligated for the cruise. So should illness or some other event occur that would prevent you from going on the cruise, you better have Cruise Insurance and even that will not cover all circumstances.

I did not take the Early Saver for a 2011 cruise because of this factor. It was considerably cheaper but I just did not want to obligate myself for a date a year and 4 months in the future. This can be an important factor if you are in your 70's or 80's.

You can switch to ES if its still available any time before your cruise in 2011.

PVP = Personal Vacation Planner

You can book ES thru both a PVP at Carnival or a Travel Agent. When you book with a PVP, you are responsible for watching pricing and filling out the form to get the OBC/price reduction. If you book with a TA, they should do it, but I have read many instances where the TA refused because it cut into their profit.

I used a TA once. When I started to answer my own questions more competently than she did, I went back to using my PVP.

PVP = Personal Vacation Planner

You can book ES thru both a PVP at Carnival or a Travel Agent. When you book with a PVP, you are responsible for watching pricing and filling out the form to get the OBC/price reduction. If you book with a TA, they should do it, but I have read many instances where the TA refused because it cut into their profit.

I used a TA once. When I started to answer my own questions more competently than she did, I went back to using my PVP.

Why would you say this? That a TA should watch for prices drops more than a PVP?? Both should watch, and both say they will watch. The truth is no one will watch as often as I do, no matter which I use, but my PVP watches just as much if not more than a TA would. It completely depends on who it is, some are just more diligent, and doesnt matter if they are a TA or PVP. Its individual.

Why would you say this? That a TA should watch for prices drops more than a PVP?? Both should watch, and both say they will watch. The truth is no one will watch as often as I do, no matter which I use, but my PVP watches just as much if not more than a TA would. It completely depends on who it is, some are just more diligent, and doesnt matter if they are a TA or PVP. Its individual.

Wow Fire, you have a decent PVP. Ours never watches for price drops for us.:(

Why would I say this? Because its the truth. Its not up to the PVP to watch for price drops. If yours does, thats great. For the record, I love my PVP but don't expect him to watch for me. I will take care of it myself and call him when I have questions.

As for TAs, my feeling is if they want to keep the business then yes, they need to be proactive and watch for those lower prices.. but most aren't as it might cut into their profits.

I hope I am wrong but...... My TA just told me that Carnival changed their policy and no longer gives OBC for a price drop, once the final payment has been made. Since final payment for our Pride 4/18 sailing is due Feb 2, there will be a 75 day window for additional drops. I think that stinks.

You know how it goes - on the final payment date some booked passengers decline and cabins become available. If enough cancel in your cabin category the rate goes down. I think Carnival should offer the price drop to booked passa\engers as an OBC. I don't like their new policy :confused: I won't cancel my trip becuase I enjoy Carnival ships but I think they need to change their thinking.

Royal gives OBC up to 48 hours prior to departure. CCR - rethink PLEASE

Carnival gives you OBC up to 48 hours as well, IF you use their Early Saver Rate.

I think if passengers want the right to get a fare DECREASE up to the last minute.....then Carnival should have the right to charge them a fare INCREASE if the fare goes UP during that same period of time.

When you book an airline ticket (which usually costs as much per person as a cruise) you don't get any consideration if the rates go down. Rarely do two people on an airplance pay the exact same rate.

You can book the cabin you want, for the date you want and pay the price....OR you can wait to the last minute and book a PackNGo rate IF they have it and take the chance that you won't get the cabin you would like.

You can't have your cake and eat it too!!!

Btw, checked RCCL rates lately compared to Carnival????? That may give you a clue as to why RCCL will drop them at the last minute....

Btw, checked RCCL rates lately compared to Carnival????? That may give you a clue as to why RCCL will drop them at the last minute....

Actually I check rates on RCL and Carnival daily out of Galveston. Iv come to the conclusion, I gotta stop booking ahead of time, because last minute rates are lower if you can wait until the last minute and book a guarantee. I dont really care that much which cabin I have enough to pay extra.

Right now another week than I booked Ecstasy, I see rates $100 less than what I paid, and RCL Voyager rates below what I have Conquest booked at other dates. I am wondering if this ES is such a good deal as long as the economy is so bad and last minute rates for pack n go lower than what I booked at. .... of course I cant change to a IS rate on pack n go and save that $100 ... because you cant downgrade with ES ... a fact Im coming to regret. Sorry, but it does kinda get to you when people are booking at lower fares last minute and didnt have money tied up for all this time.

Archived