New to cruising and Carnival

oraki

Hello everyone! I've been lurking on this board for a little while now and it keeps telling me "pssst!! Yes we're talking to you! Everyone would like to meet you; why not give posting a try? :) So here I am!! lol

I've always wanted to go on a cruise but hubby has never been too interested. Well he finally agreed to go! :D We live in Norfolk VA so we've decided on a Carnival cruise that leaves from here on Oct 25, 2010!! That will give us enough time to save and pay for everything with cash. Plus I think it will cut down on costs so we don't have to fly anywhere. We're working on a budget! :D At the end of next month we'll have enough for the deposit! I'm so excited I just can't stand it! lol I guess I shouldn't be so obsessed about something that's almost a year away and we haven't even paid the deposit yet....I just can't help it though! My mother just went on her first cruise in October and she loved every minute! I think I've been talking her to death about it....she doesn't seem to mind though. :)

These boards are awesome! I don't really have any questions at the moment. Most questions I had I was able to get answered by searching the various boards here...totally awesome!! I've been spending hours on this board and the Carnival website. Right now I'm just trying to decide if I should book directly through Carnival or use a TA. I located one here locally that seems to be very receptive in emails so I planned on meeting with her in the beginning of the year. I guess I'll wait to meet her and see how that goes. :)

Well again I just wanted to say HI so the boards will stop telling me to post. lol

Hello everyone! I've been lurking on this board for a little while now and it keeps telling me "pssst!! Yes we're talking to you! Everyone would like to meet you; why not give posting a try? :) So here I am!! lol

I've always wanted to go on a cruise but hubby has never been too interested. Well he finally agreed to go! :D We live in Norfolk VA so we've decided on a Carnival cruise that leaves from here on Oct 25, 2010!! That will give us enough time to save and pay for everything with cash. Plus I think it will cut down on costs so we don't have to fly anywhere. We're working on a budget! :D At the end of next month we'll have enough for the deposit! I'm so excited I just can't stand it! lol I guess I shouldn't be so obsessed about something that's almost a year away and we haven't even paid the deposit yet....I just can't help it though! My mother just went on her first cruise in October and she loved every minute! I think I've been talking her to death about it....she doesn't seem to mind though. :)

These boards are awesome! I don't really have any questions at the moment. Most questions I had I was able to get answered by searching the various boards here...totally awesome!! I've been spending hours on this board and the Carnival website. Right now I'm just trying to decide if I should book directly through Carnival or use a TA. I located one here locally that seems to be very receptive in emails so I planned on meeting with her in the beginning of the year. I guess I'll wait to meet her and see how that goes. :)

Well again I just wanted to say HI so the boards will stop telling me to post. lol

I was just like you!! DH and I just got off of our first cruise on the Ecstasy!! We took a 4 day to see if we would like it...I don't think like it is the phrase we should use more like LOVE it!!:D You will have a blast and so will DH. Well....I have now put a deposit down for a November cruise on Conquest to the Bahamas and it is a total surprise to DH. I have already gotten his days off from work through his boss and everything looks like I will be able to pull this off. Can't wait!! You will be hooked from the first cruise you go on...BE PREPARED to go on more!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

You will enjoy your cruise as long as you have an open mind and don't let the little things bother you. Our first cruise was on Carnival and we had such a fantastic time that we were hooked!! Have a great time!!

Your going to love it, I just don't feel right if we don't have a cruise planned for the future!:)

Thanks so much! I sure hope so!! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

You will enjoy your cruise as long as you have an open mind and don't let the little things bother you. Our first cruise was on Carnival and we had such a fantastic time that we were hooked!! Have a great time!!

Little things don't bother me...I'm pretty easy to please! I'll just be happy to be on vacation and on the boat.

We're always happy to welcome a new convert to the group! You will love it!:D

Thank you!! :)

Welcome to CC!

Sounds like your hooked before your first cruise!:)

It happens.

I think you're right...I'm pretty much obsessed. lol

I was just like you!! DH and I just got off of our first cruise on the Ecstasy!! We took a 4 day to see if we would like it...I don't think like it is the phrase we should use more like LOVE it!!:D You will have a blast and so will DH. Well....I have now put a deposit down for a November cruise on Conquest to the Bahamas and it is a total surprise to DH. I have already gotten his days off from work through his boss and everything looks like I will be able to pull this off. Can't wait!! You will be hooked from the first cruise you go on...BE PREPARED to go on more!

I'm so glad you loved it!! DH has been a little leary about a cruise. The whole big boat in the ocean thing. lol I know he's still nervous about that aspect of it but he's willing to go. What a nice surprise for your husband! I'm really hoping this will be a great experience for both of us. I really didn't want to go on my first cruise without him.

I think you're right...I'm pretty much obsessed. lol

I'm so glad you loved it!! DH has been a little leary about a cruise. The whole big boat in the ocean thing. lol I know he's still nervous about that aspect of it but he's willing to go. What a nice surprise for your husband! I'm really hoping this will be a great experience for both of us. I really didn't want to go on my first cruise without him.

I was a little worried for my husband as he always has his work phone attached to his hip. This is the first vacation that he could not have it on him because of the roaming charges and it was wonderful!;) He was leary at first also, but things changed once the cruise started and the relaxation started. He told me it was the best vacation he has ever had. I think I am going to top it going to the Bahamas!

congrats and welcome to cc:)

our addiction caught me off guard , we recieved our first cruise as an award at work...10 days to alaska:eek:

we only had a couple months to prepare for that, and i didnt have the knowledge of cruise critic to help me...we were so rookie:o

my only recommendation i can share with you is...take some bonine or other motion sickness meds starting the day before you leave AND the day you sail out;) my poor DW discovered the hard way that it doesnt work once you feel sick:(

anyhoo, have a great time with pre planning, its part of the fun

dave

I was a little worried for my husband as he always has his work phone attached to his hip. This is the first vacation that he could not have it on him because of the roaming charges and it was wonderful!;) He was leary at first also, but things changed once the cruise started and the relaxation started. He told me it was the best vacation he has ever had. I think I am going to top it going to the Bahamas!

I'm so glad to hear that! Me and my husband really haven't ever taken a vacation..maybe going out of town for a day or two but nothing big. I guess this will be our first official vacation! :D The cruise we're taking is going to the Bahamas! I bet you'll love it. I just love looking at all the pics on this website. I could literally sit her all day and get nothing accomplished. :o

congrats and welcome to cc:)

our addiction caught me off guard , we recieved our first cruise as an award at work...10 days to alaska:eek:

we only had a couple months to prepare for that, and i didnt have the knowledge of cruise critic to help me...we were so rookie:o

my only recommendation i can share with you is...take some bonine or other motion sickness meds starting the day before you leave AND the day you sail out;) my poor DW discovered the hard way that it doesnt work once you feel sick:(

anyhoo, have a great time with pre planning, its part of the fun

dave

Alaska sounds amazing!!! Thanks for the suggestion! I did think of some type of motion sickness medicine but I didn't realize you should take it beforehand. :eek: That's good to know! Thank you!

Maybe I'm too literal but you said you're paying cash. Please pay by credit card and make sure the payment goes to the cruise line. Paying by credit card and not cash or debit gives you some options if you need to make a claim.

Hi Pat!

Thanks for the advice! I'm saving towards the cruise and was going to use that money to pay for it. You make a very good point though. I guess I can use my credit card and then take the money I've saved to pay the credit card. Thank you!! :)

I'm so glad you are getting a chance to sail! And with none other than Carnival. You will love it.

To answer the Carnival PVP or TA question: I have done both. But I prefer to use Carnival PVPs and here is why:

1) You get your questions answered immediately and don't have to wait for you TA to find out, then contact you back.

2) If others plan to travel with you but don't book until later, you can talk to your PVP to get your booking #s linked right away. This way, you can eat dinner together and everything. (you can do this through a TA but the PVP does it while you are on the phone with them.)

3) I live in a small town and the nearest TA is over 30 miles away. That is kinda inconvenient. With Carnival, you have their website and 24 hour 800 number.

Just a few things to consider. I'm not telling you that that is the route you need to take, but I have found that it makes our lives easier.

I'm so glad you are getting a chance to sail! And with none other than Carnival. You will love it.

To answer the Carnival PVP or TA question: I have done both. But I prefer to use Carnival PVPs and here is why:

1) You get your questions answered immediately and don't have to wait for you TA to find out, then contact you back.

2) If others plan to travel with you but don't book until later, you can talk to your PVP to get your booking #s linked right away. This way, you can eat dinner together and everything. (you can do this through a TA but the PVP does it while you are on the phone with them.)

3) I live in a small town and the nearest TA is over 30 miles away. That is kinda inconvenient. With Carnival, you have their website and 24 hour 800 number.

Just a few things to consider. I'm not telling you that that is the route you need to take, but I have found that it makes our lives easier.

Those are some great things to consider. Also from reading these boards you seem to have more control over your booking when you book directly through Carnival. It seems like if I have any issues I will have to go through my TA and can't deal with Carnival directly. I've done most of the research and I even know what deck we want to be on but since we're new to cruising and my husband has some health issues (he uses a cane and has issues with walking) I thought a travel agent could be helpful. It seems she's able to book rooms that are available but aren't available to me when I go to the Carnival website. I keep going back and forth. lol

Thank you for the information. :)

Welcome!!

I'd suggest you read reviews and experiences others have. And more than one.

You can read about wife's and I'd recent (early Nov.) cruise on the Valor by clicking on the link in my signature.

And I'm thinking of doing what you did for our next cruise. Booking really early and having 100% paid off and even some OBC by the time we board.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!:)I didn't find it until we'd already cruised once, but you're right about how much great info. there is here. And I see you're sailing Glory, we've been on her twice, eastern and western itineraries. You'll have a great time.:D

Heather

Welcome to CC Oraki!!! You're gonna love Glory, she's beautiful!!!

I've sailed her twice, once with my husband and once with my sister to put my dads ashes to rest in his beloved ocean. Both times we splurged the extra 30 bucks each and ate at the Emerald it was over the top delicious, if your foodies def give it a try!!!!

I've only gone out of Orlando on the Glory so I'm not sure about your itinerary but I know you'll enjoy the ship and will have a wonderful time.

Please come back and write us a little review.

Cheers and happy sailing!!!

Carole

Have a great time....read often....ask questions....but don't start packing yet (tempting it can be....)

I would go with a TA...I want someone who works for me....and make sure you get rooms that are sandwiched between other cabin floors (not over/under lounges, dining rooms, night clubs, dance clubs...)

Welcome to the club,

My wife and I did our first cruise back in '07 on the Conquest for 7 days. We were brand new to cruising and went some friends. I was unsure how much I would enjoy it but I went and I could not have enjoyed myself more. Unfortunately we haven't gone again(yet!!), but we are planning another for the end of 2010 b/c our daughter(8 months now) will be older and able to stay at grandma's easier than she can now and we might be able to leave her for more than 1 or 2 days(maybe, LOL). I was pretty much hooked before we left Galveston on day one.

Anyways, welcome and hope you enjoy your cruise and your DH will have a good time. There is great info here and always an answer to any question you may have.:D

just so you know, your obsession will NOT get any better! :rolleyes: I was completely obsessed with our first cruise this July. Loved going through Cruise Critic and getting all the information i needed. You will have an amazing time!

Yes I'm obsessed and it's getting worse. lol

Welcome to cruise critic Lived in Norfolk, Chesapeake and last in Va. Beach before moving to Florida in 04. Enjoy you 1st. Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida:):):)

Thank you Bob and Nancy!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!:)I didn't find it until we'd already cruised once, but you're right about how much great info. there is here. And I see you're sailing Glory, we've been on her twice, eastern and western itineraries. You'll have a great time.:D

Heather

Oh Wow Heather you've been on the Glory? That's awesome! I can't wait! I spend so much time online reading reviews for the ship. I can't wait!

Welcome to CC Oraki!!! You're gonna love Glory, she's beautiful!!!

I've sailed her twice, once with my husband and once with my sister to put my dads ashes to rest in his beloved ocean. Both times we splurged the extra 30 bucks each and ate at the Emerald it was over the top delicious, if your foodies def give it a try!!!!

I've only gone out of Orlando on the Glory so I'm not sure about your itinerary but I know you'll enjoy the ship and will have a wonderful time.

Please come back and write us a little review.

Cheers and happy sailing!!!

Carole

Thanks Carole! I've been reading about the dinner for $30. It sounds divine!! I'm definitely a foodie!!! I'll be one of those people that takes pictures of everything I eat. lol

Have a great time....read often....ask questions....but don't start packing yet (tempting it can be....)

I would go with a TA...I want someone who works for me....and make sure you get rooms that are sandwiched between other cabin floors (not over/under lounges, dining rooms, night clubs, dance clubs...)

Thanks so much for the suggestions! :-) I haven't started packing yet but everytime I go in a store I look at the luggage. lol

Welcome to the club,

My wife and I did our first cruise back in '07 on the Conquest for 7 days. We were brand new to cruising and went some friends. I was unsure how much I would enjoy it but I went and I could not have enjoyed myself more. Unfortunately we haven't gone again(yet!!), but we are planning another for the end of 2010 b/c our daughter(8 months now) will be older and able to stay at grandma's easier than she can now and we might be able to leave her for more than 1 or 2 days(maybe, LOL). I was pretty much hooked before we left Galveston on day one.

Anyways, welcome and hope you enjoy your cruise and your DH will have a good time. There is great info here and always an answer to any question you may have.:D

Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed your first cruise. I hope you enjoy your next one! What cruise are you looking to take?

Archived