Tampa Precruise

carib4us

we booked the chaseuites and hotel they provide shuttle service and for an extra fee:(they will p/u airport take you to cruise port and back to airport after cruise we wont be there until feb so i only went by price and other reviews:eek:there does seem to be alot of hotels in tampa if your interested in one call the hotel ask how far from the port and if they have a shuttle before you book also might ask if cabs pick up at their hotel to the port happy hunting:)

I just booked the Grandeur OTS, departing 2/15/10./ We're flying in on the 14th and looking for a hotel. I was thinking of throwing a bid on a site in hopes of getting the Hyatt Regency. They are downtown and we want to take the kids to the aquarium.

There are very few if any hotels that offer both, airport and cruise port shuttles. If you do find one please post, but keep in mind that a better hotel in Tampa may cost you ~$200 or more per night.

Here is my suggestion. Bid on Priceline for a downtown 3.5* hotel. You may get the Hyatt or the Marriott or the Westin, all very close to the cruise port. You should be able to get it for no more than ~$75 total (bid around $60 or less). Taxis run ~$12-15 one way from the airport to the downtown hotels/cruise port. R/T at the very worse will be ~$30. If the hotels don't offer a shuttle to the cruise port then add another $5-8 one way from the hotel to port.

Total? no more than ~$125 and they get to stay at a nice place.

No need to depend on the hotel shuttle and much cheaper.

I'm not hung up on free shuttles, but I need the shuttle available. We have two small children and we will not have our car seats. Taxis are out. I spoke to the front desk person at the Hyatt Regency and Blue One transportation was recommended. I called the fellow Mike up and he said he could pick us up at the airport for $10PP/$5 kids. Hyatt to the port was $3PP and port back to airport, same as from airport. It's worth it to have the convenience of not lugging the car seats. Our two stops on the cruise are Cozumel and Costa Maya. We normally stay near the port at both stops. The only twist would be if we decide to go to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. They don't require carseats there, but I would prefer to have one or hire a shuttle van.

I've been doing some research and i'm looking at the following downtown hotels

1.Hyatt Regency

2. Sheraton waterfront

3. Marriott waterfront

4. Embassy suites downtown

The Sheraton offers a local shuttle, a plus

looks like the aquarium is within walking distance from the Marriott.

How is the area to walk. We are arriving Valentine's day Sunday at about noon. We're looking to do the aquzrium and harbor/dolphin ride. Is the aquarium near the ybar(spelling) area. Is it good for a family afternoon?

The Riverwalk area is very safe and family orientated but just like any other area with bunch of restaurants and bars, it becomes more of an adult playground in the evenings, but still very safe.

Ybor city is also very safe during the day and it has some nice restaurants but come evening and the bars get wild, attract a much younger, wilder, rowdier crowd and there have been some problems. I would not recommend Ybor in the evening to a family. There has been heavy police presence since there were some serious incidents and it seems to have calmed things down but again, it becomes a bar/nightclub drinking heaven once the sun goes down.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency for two nights-30/31 Oct.

We found a great restuarant open for breakfast and lunch. Great food and inexpensive. The Samaria Cafe, 502 Tampa St is 3 short blocks from the Hyatt or the Sheraton.

Hotel restaurant prices can be quite high. Check it out.

Rich

Does anyone have experience with the Chase Suites in Tampa? They offer a Cruise/Park package which sounded great for us (driving to FL), but we've had some difficulty getting information out of them. We booked two nights, but we only have documentation for one... and I'd really be upset to arrive to "Who are you again?" We've been contacting them for the confirmation of the second night, but we still haven't received a response. (This is for April 2010.)

Thanks!

Archived