bottled water for formula

cruisinsb

I was under the impression that since we are paying full price, over $1000 for my son, and he does not really eat much, that Princess would be giving us complimentary bottles of water to mix his formula with. On of the customer relations representatives said this would be fine and to contact their dietary needs consultant. I emailed her and she said that this was not the case, we will be charged for the bottles of water that we use. She suggested that we bring our own cases of water to defray the costs. However, I am flying to Florida from Pennsylvania, is she expecting me to bring two cases of water on the plane with me???? Please help, what should I do??? I am more disturbed about the fact that I was originally told that we would be getting the water and now we are not!

Why does it not surprise me that you were promised something by the rep that just isn't true? :( This seems to happen a lot.

Yes, you have to pay for the bottled water package. Yes, you could bring your own. Yes, we are both from PA so I understand where YOU are coming from. :D

This is what I did. I stopped on the way to the port and bought "Nursery Water" in gallon containers. I know, I know, it's a pain. But that's what I did when I had babies that age.

Your other option, if you feel comfortable. You could use the water that comes out of the sink in the cabin. It is suppose to be clean and safe for drinking.

Bottled water really isn't necessary. Powdered formula is not sterile to begin with and for a baby who is older than 6 months (assuming he is since I think that is the age requirement for most cruise lines), tap water is just fine. Your son has the added bonus of recieving antibodies from your breast milk morning and night so he is even better protected. You may also find that by the end of the week your supply has increased since you will be spending more time with your son and probably nursing more than you normally do when you are working.

Of course if you feel better with the bottled water just do liek the other posters have said and pick some up on the way to the port.

Hope you have a great cruise!

IMOH, you have every right to be angry, cruisinsb. First, for being let down by the customer relations consultant for putting you wrong. And the company for charging you for bottled water when a small child eats very little else compared to a child a few years older.

Many people choose to drink bottled water even when safe drinking tap water is available. Not my choice at home, for environmental reasons (in my country, most plastic water bottles end up in landfill). However, I have had problems travelling, brought on by the change in tap water, even if it is "safe", the mineral content and chlorine levels vary a lot.

But cruisinsb makes this choice, and made enquiries and was let down.

And to top it off, a very inappropriate, off topic remark about breastfeeding... grrl!

Just to let you know, I used tap water on Princess for my girls' formula with no problem. Princess is also one of the few cruise lines that will provide baby cereal and baby food if you arrange it ahead of time.

It is amazing how much incorrect information is given by phone reps. Sorry about the water situation, but I'm sure once you're on board you'll find that in most other ways, you'll be very happy with how you and your child are taken care of.

Best,

Mia

I was under the impression that since we are paying full price, over $1000 for my son, and he does not really eat much, that Princess would be giving us complimentary bottles of water to mix his formula with. On of the customer relations representatives said this would be fine and to contact their dietary needs consultant. I emailed her and she said that this was not the case, we will be charged for the bottles of water that we use. She suggested that we bring our own cases of water to defray the costs. However, I am flying to Florida from Pennsylvania, is she expecting me to bring two cases of water on the plane with me???? Please help, what should I do??? I am more disturbed about the fact that I was originally told that we would be getting the water and now we are not!

If you cannot stop for a case of water on your way to the ship then my suggestion to you would be to place a standing order with room service for a daily delivery of a large carafe of hot water (as in 'for tea'). You can have them deliver it during the early morning. Once you get it fill your bottles with it and let that water cool. Then use the cooled water to mix with what you have left of the hot water in the carafe for making bottles.

Make sure you always have some bottles cooling so you can mix to make perfect temp water.

For excursions just fill an extra bottle(s) with the hot water and go. It will cool to a great temp by the time you need it.

Sorry that you got misinformation, that does suck.

I am a nurse and will echo the sentiment of the person who said sterility is not necessary. A babies digestive tract is not sterile from start to finish if you know what I mean...

That said, my daughter couldn't tolerate powder so I just packed one suitcase full of the already mixed stuff. I had no problems and extra room to bring home all the goods we accumulated. Just make sure you have a fridge to store the excess.

IMOH, you have every right to be angry, cruisinsb. First, for being let down by the customer relations consultant for putting you wrong. And the company for charging you for bottled water when a small child eats very little else compared to a child a few years older.

Many people choose to drink bottled water even when safe drinking tap water is available. Not my choice at home, for environmental reasons (in my country, most plastic water bottles end up in landfill). However, I have had problems travelling, brought on by the change in tap water, even if it is "safe", the mineral content and chlorine levels vary a lot.

But cruisinsb makes this choice, and made enquiries and was let down.

And to top it off, a very inappropriate, off topic remark about breastfeeding... grrl!

Why grrr about breastfeeding? Please explain. Thanks!

I had the same problem so we are going to drive down to florida. With a case of water and baby food. I know that rccl has a bottle water deal(like the soda deal) You pay ahead of time for a certain amount of bottles, and you get them cheaper than if you paid for a bottle at a time.It's still alot of money. This is my first cruise with a baby(8 months)..I'm neverous but I need a cruise fix.. Also you could check you suitcase in at the airport,and fill it with liters...I did that a couple months ago to go to disney..only $15. And you could baby food and sun block.

To the OP just so you know the water in the ships taps is PURER than most bottled water you buy other than ones such as Aquafina which is basically made the same way the ships water is, by Osmosis.

You're right. Cruise ships have their own desalination process facilities, which are under pretty strict standards. OP - how would you know that bottled water is purer than the ship's desalinated water? I never spend money on bottled water - a totally unnessessary expense.

Why grrr about breastfeeding? Please explain. Thanks!

While I do choose to breast feed my son, since being back at work, I have also had to supplement with formula. Someone made an offensive remark about the fact that breastfeeding would have saved me a ton of problems. While I chose to BF, I know many people do not, and I respect that decision, still, that is not a debate to be had on Cruise critic!

The ships water is just fine, as PP stated. My DD will be just shy of 1 year on our upcoming cruise, and Im not one bit worried about the state of the tap water on the ship. That said, I don understand why you asked about this, DH and I installed a whole walter filter set up under our sink before I would let him give DD water out of her sippy from the tap ;)

I dont see the harm in mentioning BF'ing. If OP does BF; great! If not; thats fine too. Big deal. Maybe its just me but I didnt read the comment about BF'ing as anythign negitive towards the OP for formula feeding.

We have always taken a case of the ready to drink formula. Just put a luggage tag on it and they will take it to your room. This eliminates the mixing issue all together and you have a bottle anytime at the ready. All brands have the small size which require only a nipple. You can go on ebay and buy the nipples in bulk. To me it was the best invention ever made.

The ships water is just fine, as PP stated. My DD will be just shy of 1 year on our upcoming cruise, and Im not one bit worried about the state of the tap water on the ship. That said, I don understand why you asked about this, DH and I installed a whole walter filter set up under our sink before I would let him give DD water out of her sippy from the tap ;)

I dont see the harm in mentioning BF'ing. If OP does BF; great! If not; thats fine too. Big deal. Maybe its just me but I didnt read the comment about BF'ing as anythign negitive towards the OP for formula feeding.

I am the OP, and someone made a comment about the fact that if I had just breastfed it would have saved me a ton of problems, I felt that her reply seemed negative and offensive to people who do not BF. Apparently others found it offensive too, because it was pulled from the thread. While I choose to BF and supplement with formula, I didn't think it was appropriate for her to be judging people who do not BF at all.

While I do choose to breast feed my son, since being back at work, I have also had to supplement with formula. Someone made an offensive remark about the fact that breastfeeding would have saved me a ton of problems. While I chose to BF, I know many people do not, and I respect that decision, still, that is not a debate to be had on Cruise critic!

Thanks, and I didn't mean so sound personal! I also had to supplement with formula when I went back to work many years ago (no such thing as electric pumps or fitted disposables!) Similac and I became good friends! I also worked full-time with a 25-minute lunch break, so there was no way to dash to the sitter's to feed. DD took a 3-month maternity leave before going back to work this past Spring (she's a teacher), so I flew out to spend a month when she went back. She did pump, and then during her lunch break, I drove the baby to her school for feeding. When I left, school was almost out for out for the summer. I think that anyone who is able and chooses to BF for as long as possible is doing a great thing. I do, however, understand what it's like to work full-time with a young baby. My oldest was completely formula-fed (SOP at the time), but the other four were a combination. Staying at home just wasn't an option. Anyway, I certainly hope I didn't offend you. I will say that the ship's tap water is just fine, and could save you from hauling bottled water. You'll be hauling along a lot of other things! Have a good cruise.

Archived