Dawn Aft Balc 5 night or Sky Suite 4 night?

familyof4cruising

I need to make a decision and I can't!

Facts: I want to fit in a shorter cruise next April ( 2011). My choices are a 5 night on the Dawn ( I have sailed 6 times) in an aft balcony on deck 10 to Cozumel and Grand Cayman ( I have been to both plenty of times) or a 4 night in an AB suite on the Sky ( this would be my 2nd time) to Bahamas and GSC ( I have been to plenty of times). The Dawn is an extra day and a better itinerary, but I love the suite life and the Sky is actually $300 less expensive ( I could add on a Miami day).

I was going to wait to see which airfare was better and that was going to be my decision, but I figured I would ask CC and see what results I would get.

Wow, that's a tough one. It's all about what you are looking to get from a cruise. For example, do you want a port intensive cruise, or more sea days....and when in port are you looking for excursions or beaches, or shopping.

They both have their pros.... But, if you were to add that extra overnight in Miami, you could get a hotel and dinner for $300.00 and enjoy all the Suite Life on the Sky for 4 nights, then it would all be a wash. Ok, i'm a fence sitter. Nope, i'm going to take a stand, being April, the Bahamas weather is much better then say in Jan/Feb, so being in April, then I would pick the Sky. If you posed the same question about a trip in Jan, i'd have picked the Dawn.;)

Pros:

Sky -- AB

--PRO it's an aft suite, great for sail away, much larger room and balcony

--PRO priority embark (but it's the Sky, and you are literally on board in 15min from exiting the cab--in any cabin)

--PRO breakfast and lunch at cagneys

--PRO (or CON), everyday is a port

--CON I found the food on the Sky (non "pay to chew") to be good, but more cafeteria, then longer cruises on the bigger ships

--CON older ship, and even though it's well taken care of and I will still book the Sky, you really can tell in furnishings

--PORTS, like everything mentioned above, are subjective. I personally love the Atlantis waterpark. Don't like Grand Bahamas, but in April, the weather will be nice for a beach day. GSC, I like it, yes, it's small and warn, but heck, it's a beach

Dawn -- Aft

--PRO it's an aft, great for sail away, and a great retreat

--PRO going to Caribbean

--PRO newer ship, bigger, more options

--PORTS, always consistent, but I love Nochi Cocum in Cozumel, and, for me at least, Grand Cayman is always consistent..and always a good beach day.

I'll never get a hotel room and dinner in Miami for $300;).

Thanks for the reply. Such a tough decision. Either ship is fine that is not a decision maker, but I prefer the Dawn itinerary and the Sky room and privileges.

You are right about April. Beaches are beaches right?:D

I've never been to Grand Bahama what beach is good to go to?

My kids LOVE the Atlantis water park.

I'll never get a hotel room and dinner in Miami for $300;).

I've never been to Grand Bahama what beach is good to go to?

In April the prices at the hotels go right back down. Get the Intercontinental right beside the Biscayne Marketplace. 306.00 for a club level room--haha, they do serve a really good spread at breakfast, tea, and cocktail time. :P Whatever you do, don't book the room until you get closer, they seem to have to amazing pricing pop up every so often on Travelzoo.com (I dont' know if I just broke a rule??:eek:)

When we were at Freeport, we took the 5.00 / person taxi to Our Lucaya Marketplace and then when we were done there you cross the street, and go through the hotel garden and you are at the beach. Was it good, NO, hence my comment about going in January/February.....water was cold and it was sooo windy, but in April it would be fantastic.

In April the prices at the hotels go right back down. Get the Intercontinental right beside the Biscayne Marketplace. 306.00 for a club level room--haha, they do serve a really good spread at breakfast, tea, and cocktail time. :P Whatever you do, don't book the room until you get closer, they seem to have to amazing pricing pop up every so often on Travelzoo.com (I dont' know if I just broke a rule??:eek:)

When we were at Freeport, we took the 5.00 / person taxi to Our Lucaya Marketplace and then when we were done there you cross the street, and go through the hotel garden and you are at the beach. Was it good, NO, hence my comment about going in January/February.....water was cold and it was sooo windy, but in April it would be fantastic.

Thank you! So you vote Sky.

Thanks , looks like the Sky is winning. Funny how having had experienced NCL's suite perks makes it so difficult to go without them.

I know , its a real problem . We have done the suite thing on some of the other lines and its not even close .

Every time I end up comparing them to NCL and cant believe some of the things they wont or cant do . ;)

• 2 months later...
An AB suite? If so can you take pictures and post?

Fam4 .. here is an excelent link to all you want to know about the AB suite ..;)

http://www.orcatekweb.com/Cabin-11550.htm ** All other AB's.

Edit:: Boy o boy , I do this every time. AB on the sky is the same as the AC on the Sun.

ignore the above link.. If you would like the Sky AB's pic's.... email me and I will send . They are to big to post here ..

Sorry.

Fam4 .. here is an excelent link to all you want to know about the AB suite ..;)

Edit:: Boy o boy , I do this every time. AB on the sky is the same as the AC on the Sun.

ignore the above link.. If you would like the Sky AB's pic's.... email me and I will send . They are to big to post here ..

Sorry.

That is for the Dawn...not the Sky.

Sorry.

Sorry I didn't read your edit until now.

Archived