RCI considered shipboard roller coaster/ferris wheel

jleq

They must have kegs of beer at their brainstorming meetings.

I was thinking they must be importing some good Jamaican weed and burning a few! This is just plain stupid... if they want to continue on this path, they should abandon the cruise business and build land based theme parks.

They really need to go back to their roots and build beautiful ships, with plenty of glass and focus on the overall cruise experience-- especially with regard to the food quality and guest services/loyalty recognition etc. Apparently the new slogan "Deliver the WOW" only relates to the physical ships.

I'm all for innovation, perks, and fun but I think (At least in my aspect of cruising) a roller coaster would be far over-doing it. If I wanted a theme park with roller coasters, I'd go to that theme park. If I want tranquility, views, and different islands while taking in the sun on the ocean, then I want peace not roller coasters!

I do like the Disney water coaster though, very neat! Great for kids being a Disney ship.

creeps me out, actually. I try not to think about what keeps planes in the air and ships from sinking, but the more tons of metal and moving parts being put on a ship, well, it creeps me out. I can't explain why the idea of being flung out to sea is creepier than falling to certain death on concrete should a coaster ride go very bad, but, it creeps me more.

I don't get why someone would want to pay high cruise fare for an amusement park, but I guess I'm more traditional, so, whatever, build that stuff and I'll stick with the ships without them. I'm sure if they build it, people will come. More room for me on the ships without the amusement parks.

I LOVE amusement parks, I go to all the local ones in Los Angeles monthly, if not more. However, I do still know the difference between a cruise and an amusement park. If I want an amusement park vacation, I will book Disneyworld, I don't expect rides on a cruise...the cruise IS the ride.;)

I do however like the small waterslides on the ships, they keep my sons busy. But a tiny little waterslide is a lot different than a coaster or ferris wheel at sea...that's just wierd, and would probably make me yak if they were too close to the side or top of the ship! One thing I don't need is to find myself on some coaster dangling over thousands of feet of ocean...no thanks!

They really need to go back to their roots and build beautiful ships, with plenty of glass and focus on the overall cruise experience-- especially with regard to the food quality and guest services/loyalty recognition etc. Apparently the new slogan "Deliver the WOW" only relates to the physical ships.

Honestly, the cruise line you're describing they should become sounds like Celebrity with their new Solstice class. Royal's heading in a different direction.

Honestly, the cruise line you're describing they should become sounds like Celebrity with their new Solstice class. Royal's heading in a different direction.

Honestly, I'm not at all impressed by Celebrity. All of the Celebrity cruises I've been on have had a less than enthusiastic crew.. service was poor, the food nothing to rave about and the ships were just not as well kept/clean as RCCL. I also don't care for the more subdued (read boring) atmosphere on their ships.

I will say though, the Solstice class ships are beautiful.. let's just hope they keep them well maintained.

I was thinking they must be importing some good Jamaican weed and burning a few! This is just plain stupid... if they want to continue on this path, they should abandon the cruise business and build land based theme parks.

I agree! That is why I stick with the Radiance Class ships.

I've sailed on Oasis and loved it. It was a happy, wonderful cruise. The food was no worse than any other of the twenty-plus cruises I have taken. The ship was less crowded than some I have been on. The crew was friendly and trying their level best to please.

For me, the more features a ship has the better. There was so much to do and to see. There really was something for almost everyone.

Folks come here and describe all the reasons they don't want to sail on the big new ships with many innovative features, but they have never even stepped foot on such ships. Well, each to his own. For me, I congratulate RCI on their exciting new ship and thank them for the great time I had while on Oasis.

Heavysurf......everyone on these boards knows by now that you are thrilled with the Oasis. The question would be...Do you think putting a roller coaster and a ferris wheel on a cruise ship is a good idea? Personally, I think it is a "stupid" idea. Give me a ship with a "walk-on bow" with the wind in my face, the closeness of the sea and a "quiet" area on deck without thousands of thrill seekers and spoiled kids and I'd be happy. I cruised with Royal many years ago on my Honeymoon, before all the "just get out there" crap started and enjoyed it. I'm not saying I wouldn't sail Oasis. I'm just saying it would probably just be a one-shot deal for me. Remember this all started with the silly rock climbing wall.....

I don't need all these things on a cruise ship. We are going probably on our last cruise with Royal to use our obc and then are going to try smaller sailing ships. We have only done the Voyager class ships because of having a teenager.

Oh, and let me edit so that before anyone else can say it "bye"

Honestly, I'm not at all impressed by Celebrity. All of the Celebrity cruises I've been on have had a less than enthusiastic crew.. service was poor, the food nothing to rave about and the ships were just not as well kept/clean as RCCL. I also don't care for the more subdued (read boring) atmosphere on their ships.

I will say though, the Solstice class ships are beautiful.. let's just hope they keep them well maintained.

Ok. I'm describing what RCI decided to do with the two lines, pushing Celebrity in the direction you described (more glass, focus on the food (successfully or not), beautiful ships) while moving RCCL toward the Six Flags/Disneyworld approach where the focus is on bigger, better, and whizzier. I'm sorry that Celebrity doesn't live up to your expectations and that Royal is moving in a direction that doesn't meet your needs, either. I hope that doesn't sound critical, I mean it sincerely; cruises should provide the vacation people are looking for.

I had very good experiences on Milliennium and Constellation with upkeep and staff, then a poor experience on Serenade which was very much redeemed by excellent service and upkeep on Liberty. It seems like consistency is an issue on any line.

Archived