Currency in the Caribbean

Just got a garbled phone call from travel agents regarding currency on our Caribbean Gems cruise.

I know on the ship they just swipe your credit card but onshore ?

Have already bought dollars but they say we need other currency but l did not quite catch it lol Anyone know ? and stupid question do they have ATM machines over there.

How do you take your currency ?

Just got a garbled phone call from travel agents regarding currency on our Caribbean Gems cruise.

I know on the ship they just swipe your credit card but onshore ?

Have already bought dollars but they say we need other currency but l did not quite catch it lol Anyone know ? and stupid question do they have ATM machines over there.

How do you take your currency ?

We took US$ which was acceptable everywhere including to buy bus tickets in Barbados - you just have to be sure to ask if they will give you US$ in change as you don't want the local dollars/currency which you won't be able to use on the next island.

Everything is advertised in US$ in the markets - sometimes Euros too but the exchange rate is better in dollars.

The only exception is if your itinerary goes to Martinque (I think this is the replacement destination for Guadeloupe which we went to last year). This island is French and Euros are needed but they may accept dollars but we found Guadeloupe fiercely French - and I wouldn't be surprised if they insisted on their own currency to make the point!

Enjoy your trip - we certainly did!

Thanks for that, l still have some euros from my last holiday so will take those too, still don't know what the travel agents were on about but glad l will be able to exchange on the ship

As an aside do they have cabin safes ?

Can l draw local currency on my onboard credit card ?

Thanks for that, l still have some euros from my last holiday so will take those too, still don't know what the travel agents were on about but glad l will be able to exchange on the ship

As an aside do they have cabin safes ?

Can l draw local currency on my onboard credit card ?

Yes, there is a safe in your cabin - but you pay extra for this. From memory I think it's £12 per week.

As for buying currency, I'm not certain, but I believe the money exchange is exactly that - exchange of money, not 'buying' it on your ship's 'credit' card. So you would need Sterling to exchange for $ (or Euros) at the exchange desk on board.

You can readily use credit cards on shore in the shops, though not market stalls and the like. The ATMs will give you a choice of which currency you wish to draw. I think you can use a cheque to purchase currency on board, though we've never done it.

Carol x

Archived