St. Croix

DGNY

We went to the Carambola Beach Resort in November while onboard the Jewel repositioning. The resort is quite nice, nice chairs and plenty of shade. However, parts of the beach are loaded with coral, so you'll have to walk way down one end. While we were there the water was very rough, so rough that most of the guys with us got knocked over by the waves, so none of the women would go in. Undertow was also very strong. However, we were told that it was very unusual to have waves like this, but it sometimes happens during the fall. Let me also mention that we visited Aruba and St. Thomas on this same cruise, and the water in Aruba was very rough, again knocking some folks down, but it wasn't quite as rough as St. Croix. Magens Bay in St. Thomas was fine.

Carambola has a nice pool and restaurant that you can also use. We were very lucky in that the resort did not charge us at all to use the beach, chairs or umbrellas. The cost of the excursion thru the ship was $89 pp, and some of the people who took the ship's excursion were not very happy to find out that we got were not charged an entrance fee. The resort guy explained that it wasn't busy, so he didn't charge us, but that didn't mollify the folks who paid the $89. We only paid $10 pp round trip from ship to the resort, but there were 12 of us, so we filled one van. Still, we ate and drank at the restaurant, and we still didn't come anywhere near $89 pp. I don't know if you would be quite as lucky, but you can always e-mail the resort and ask what the price is for a day pass.

Hope this helps.

Carambola has a nice pool and restaurant that you can also use. We were very lucky in that the resort did not charge us at all to use the beach, chairs or umbrellas.

My understanding is that all beaches are public in St. Croix. So, there wouldn't be an entrance fee at Carambola. Now, perhaps normally a day pass would be needed to use the pool and other facilities.

Stayed in STX for 10 days with a friend who grew up there. All beaches are public, but you can be charged to use the facilities. The pier is in Fredericksted - the less "touristy" side of the island. Carambola is nice. Rainbow beach is also really nice and closer to the pier. A taxi to shop in Christiansted would be fun. Fredericksted buzzes when ships are in and has a lot of charming buildings. The people will be very nice and accomodating. The day we spent at Buck Island will always be remembered as one of the nicest I have ever had. Hope this helps. We will be stopping there on the Seranade in a week and a half. Can't wait... It is a beautiful island, and we have a resident guide. Post more questions, I will help if I can.

We snorkeled at Buck Island when we were there a month ago on the Millennium. It was fun, but the reefs have been decimated. Only about 10% of the reef was alive, but it is slowly recovering. To see pix, visit my web site (in signature) and click on Southern Caribbean.

The St. Croix port board is not the most active. Can those of you that have been share your experiences? Any beach recommendations? I'm thinking of spending the day at either Cane Bay or Carambola.

My sister owns a time share there and I have been several times... including my honeymoon... it is a wonderful island but very quiet... If you want a nice beach, there is Chenay Bay.... beautiful.... or you can go over to Christenstead and take the ferry across to Hotel on the Cay.... it is also a beautiful beach.... the ferry is a couple of bucks..... and you can also do the half day to Buck Island with Big Beards..... they take you snorkeling and then you go to the island and just swim and sunbathe..... it is awsome..... there are a few shops in Christenstead to buy souveniers..... I have nothing but fond memories of that place.... so beautiful..... have a great time!!!! (jealous :()

I lived in St. Croix for a couple of years and would often, almost weekly, take the trip to Buck Island. It was always relaxing and a good way to spend the day with snorkeling, drinks and just good plain fun. When I wasn't on the trip, they would point out my house as they went by on their way and I would wave to the tourists. Those were the good days.

The St. Croix port board is not the most active. Can those of you that have been share your experiences? Any beach recommendations? I'm thinking of spending the day at either Cane Bay or Carambola.
You may want to consider the Gecko ATV tour. We did this tour last month and really had a good time.

We visited St Croix in October while we were on the AOS and we took a shuttle from the pier to Christiansted (unfortunately the bus turned out to be a mechanical wreck-it took us 1.5 hours to get there-and many of the fellows in our bus were very concerned for our safety should we break down completely as the driver could not raise ANY response at all from his company's dispatch centre-I would take a taxi next time for sure!!) and we took the small ferry over to the Hotel on the Cay.

The beach was nice enough, some chairs for rent and a restaurant/bar right there with bathroom facilities (not great but good enough) and the water was totally calm-like glass, and very warm. After we packed up from the beach we did a little shopping (good bargains, friendly people) before we boarded another shuttle (thankfully mechanically sound) back to Frederiksted where we did a little souvenir shopping for the relatives.

We had a good time on St Croix, but I would probably not hurry back until more infrastructure is in place for passengers as I felt we had better beach days on St Maarten, Barbados, and St Lucia.

Bison-Great to hear this, we are signed up to do the ATV with gecko next month. They say there is a beach there we can rent chairs, and bar etc? any info on that?

The ATV tour is $125 for an ATV, one or two drivers. If you do the ATV/beach package, I believe it's $200 for two people. The beach area is after the ATV tour and looked nice. We only did the ATV and it was a blast - wish it could have lasted longer!

Bison-Great to hear this, we are signed up to do the ATV with gecko next month. They say there is a beach there we can rent chairs, and bar etc? any info on that?
The ATV tour ends at rainbow beach where there is a bar etc. This is where you ride the jets skis from if you are doing the combo tour.

I love St Croix, and was there in october for 10 days! Of course I flew in and out, but its a wonderful island. To my thinking the port is in the perfect place for me. I would take a taxi to Cottages by the Seas, or Castle by the Seas. Its less than 10 minutes to the most perfect beach ever. Lots of sand great snorkeling, swimming. Your on the lee side of the island and the wind is at your back. No sand in your face, its lovely.

You also get to take great pictures of your ship.

Theres a lovely restaurant, for lunch, and they have great chairs dedicated to the cruisers. Very reasonable, and fun day at the beach.

If your lucky you can see a sea turtle or dolphin! I did.

I found this out one day, I was snorkeling for hours as I love to do. Suddenly I realized I was hearing noise, and looked up, about 150 yards away there was this huge Celebrity Cruise ship... wasn't very close, but sure felt like it, tiny little me in the middle of the ocean with this huge ship bearing down..

I stay away from the shopping/touristy areas on any excursion. Oh, just arrange with your taxi driver a time for the return trip, and have a great day at the beach.

Enjoy your stay on St Croix, its a beautiful island.

I'll second Gecko's Island Adventures. We did the land and sea package and enjoyed it very much! Just make sure you take clothes you don't mind getting dirty! At the end at Rainbow Beach you can jet ski, snorkel, kayak, and then enjoy the little beach bar that is there. They had an awesome blackened Mahi sandwich and good drinks.

We would go with them again in a second. I think next time we'll try to make our way to Christenstad and see the sites there.

Archived