Aquaboat excursion

Set2Sail

The Aquaboats are fantastic! My wife & I agreed that this was probably the best chioce we had ever made. The trick is keeping them in the water, as they tend to go airborne! One guide takes the lead, another the rear, and you go all over. It's full throttle once you get past the ships (the Captians don't like you getting too close!). The snorkling spots were great, one just off 7-mile beach, and one over a shipwreck. One thing to remember...it's a little tricky getting back in the boat. As my wife said, "ladies, there is no graceful way to do this!"

We booked this trip through Royal Caribbean, but I would think others would offer it also. If not, we met the guides at the little pavillion at the south pier. It was simply labeled "Aquaboats", and, at the time, was guided by a young man from Australia, and a young woman from the U.K.

I wonder if this is similar to the excursions that Carnival is doing at Costa Maya and other places, with a two person speedboat and going snorkeling? My husband and I are going to do this in Costa Maya in May when we go and are looking for people who have done it before!

The Aquaboat is about 12 feet long. It has a solid fiberglass floor and transom, with a kevlar-like inflatable bow and sides...kind of like a Zodiac. The seats (2) are molded into the floor, with one behind the other. The steering wheel is dead center, between your legs...you feel like you would be driving a go-cart. A 25Hp Mercury outboard is mounted on the transom, and it's enough to make 3 of these boats fly at once!

Archived