Blow to RCI: Galveston pilot hearings set

jleq

If the system can keep a ship floating in one exact spot run by computer using GPS then I think I can handle currents and tides.

As for shiftting sandbars thats what sonar is for.... and if it's a "shifting" sandbar there's no guarantee the pilot will know about it either.

But if they get their raises would someone please point in the direction of " Ship Pilot School" because I'd love to whine about only making 335k a year!

You haven't a clue - i'll leave you with one other thing what if the Computer goes down ???

Do you know anything about a serving pilot or his job ? i suggest you do some homework about a pilot before criticising.

jj......

FYI - Not only is your "news" 10 weeks old, but before the hearings happened a judge issued a restraining order and the hearings will not be held until at least late January and maybe not until after the suit regarding the number of pilots is settled. Basically a win for RCI/CCL.

Coxswain: The CC folks like him here, someone has to be at the bottom of the gene pool....

Wouldn't know an IQ point if it hit him in the butt.

It is called featherbedding....Plain and simple...These guys will soon have afternoons free to wave to the CCL and RCI ships as they depart Houston.

You have to love all these would-be Pilots - Local knowledge is vital while navigating a ship.

If the pilots are saying they need a second pilot to navigate safely then i for one wouldn't question their need for one.

jj......

Except they say they only need one pilot if they get paid more. What do you have to say about that?

It is an interesting story and I have not seen it discussed on CC previously. What difference does the age of the story make. It is still relevant.
Except that the situation has changed considerably since the article he posted, and by posting an old article with a misleading title, he's confusing the situation not informing people.

Two pilots certainly appears to be feather bedding. It looks like a negotiation ploy to reach higher rates for pilots. Ships heading to New Orleans have a pilot (one) on board for about 100 miles of very busy river. Anyway, on a recently completed cruise during a captain's Q&A session an RCI captain said that pilots provide information on expected ship traffic along with a lot more experience with local conditions than a cruise ship captain is going to have from periodic port calls. I wonder how much the Houston port pilots make with the required long traverse of the narrow Houston ship channel.

You haven't a clue - i'll leave you with one other thing what if the Computer goes down ???

Do you know anything about a serving pilot or his job ? i suggest you do some homework about a pilot before criticising.

jj......

Except they say they only need one pilot if they get paid more. What do you have to say about that?

Apparently, you don't have anything to say about it.

Two pilots certainly appears to be feather bedding. It looks like a negotiation ploy to reach higher rates for pilots. Ships heading to New Orleans have a pilot (one) on board for about 100 miles of very busy river. Anyway, on a recently completed cruise during a captain's Q&A session an RCI captain said that pilots provide information on expected ship traffic along with a lot more experience with local conditions than a cruise ship captain is going to have from periodic port calls. I wonder how much the Houston port pilots make with the required long traverse of the narrow Houston ship channel.

A lot more than Galveston Pilots! Have a friend who is a Galveston Pilot who almost lost his life several years ago piloting a ship out of the Columbia River. Don't judge unless you have walked in their shoes.

A lot more than Galveston Pilots! Have a friend who is a Galveston Pilot who almost lost his life several years ago piloting a ship out of the Columbia River. Don't judge unless you have walked in their shoes.

Here here as one who has been in the job the pilots do an amazing job in all weathers !!

jj......

Of-course i do - i'm not sure about the whole in's and outs of the dispute but i'll side with the pilots who risk their lives day in and day out.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=620003359.blog

jj......

No, apparently you don't. The pilots agreed that only one was needed if they got paid more but two were needed if they do not get the raise. Now, by saying that you side with the pilots are you, in fact, saying that you agree that the number of pilots needed is related to the amount of pay that they are getting?

[quote name='Ocean Boy']No, apparently you don't. The pilots agreed that only one was needed if they got paid more but two were needed if they do not get the raise. Now, by saying that you side with the pilots are you, in fact, saying that you agree that the number of pilots needed is related to the amount of pay that they are getting?[/QUOTE]

And the point you're trying to make ???

jj......

[quote name='coxswain']And the point you're trying to make ???

jj......[/QUOTE]

...That you are very good at being evasive when you want to be. You said that you have something to say about the point in question but you say nothing. You either agree that pay and the number of pilots needed are tied together or the pilots who you obviously have a lot of respect for, and rightly so, are just plain wrong on using that bargaining chip.... because it make no sense..... at all.

[quote name='TEXASMUNK']Logic and common sense: 7

Coxswain: 0

"Give us a raise and we do not need the second pilot"
"Don't give us a raise, we will blackmail you by doubling the cost"

Dangerous job or not, blackmail is blackmail.[/QUOTE]

I hope your not trying to bully me with personal attacks - because my point of view is different from yours.

jj......

[quote name='coxswain']Of-course i do - i'm not sure about the whole in's and outs of the dispute but i'll side with the pilots who risk their lives day in and day out. [URL="http://jj......"]jj......[/URL][/quote]

Reminds me of a certain president who stated he didn't know all the facts of a dispute but then proceeded to take sides anyway! :p That taking sides without all the facts can leave one with egg on one's face...... :D

Just because the pilots were giving a concession in a contract negotiation dosen't make it safer just means they where holding onto what they could and giving in on things they couldn't.This is part of the real world not cyber cruise world.

[quote name='coxswain']You haven't a clue - i'll leave you with one other thing what if the Computer goes down ???

jj......[/quote]

Lets see, what does a pilot do...well he rides his little boat to the ship... gets on the ship...goes up to the bridge and either 1) uses the little joy stick to bring the boat in OR 2) lets the Captain bring the boat in and makes suggestions. Then he gets off the ship and gets back on his little boat to rinse and repeat...

Is there a certain element of danger involved transfering from one moving vessel to another? Absolutely!!

But there's more danger in being a cop or a firefighter... and these days there's danger in just being a paramedic, a postal worker, heck even being a school teacher in some places!

But NONE of them make 335k a year!

And please before you go knocking automation been on a flight recently?? A Large percentage of that flight was automated! Recently while waiting for one flight and talking to a flight attendant we were discussing the amount of flying a pilot does...her answer "You know the rough bumpy landings?" I said "yea"... she replied "that's the pilot. You know the smooth easy ones?" I said "yea" she said..."that's the automatic pilot."

Am I saying we don't need anyone at the helm...no...It's always nice to have a human back up in case the Multiple computers that serve as primary and back ups do miraculously all crash at the same time. And let's face it, if a ship is coming into a port that it sails from EVERY week. I would sure hope the Captain is familiar with the port....otherwise its time for a new captain.

But 335k a year?!?!?...that's like paying the valet 100k a year to park my car!

I believe theres more to it than that. They would not need licenceing and training to drive(pilot) ship.They are not only doing just cruise ships for your pleasure.They insure that there is a certified pilot on deck for all ships in port.I am not overly concearned for there safety. I am interested in ours the passengers.I would hate to see a colision because corporate types want to save money. I would like to know what port fees are now charged per passenger there compared to other ports

[quote name='nolimits']I believe theres more to it than that. They would not need licenceing and training to drive(pilot) ship.They are not only doing just cruise ships for your pleasure.They insure that there is a certified pilot on deck for all ships in port.I am not overly concearned for there safety. I am interested in ours the passengers.I would hate to see a colision because corporate types want to save money. I would like to know what port fees are now charged per passenger there compared to other ports[/quote]Port fees and pilot fees are not really related. One's for docking the ship at the pier, the other is for getting the ship to/from the pier from open waters.

Archived