excursions with toddler

cruisingwith4kids

We have just booked a cruise with Disney in Feb, and have four children coming with us, aged 2 - 14 years. Can anyone recommend some fun excursions for everyone at Castaway Cay, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten? I would like to bring my toddler on the snorkeling excursion in St. John/St. Thomas, but the Disney sight won't let me book it. Is it possible to bring him along? Would I be able to book on my own, as I went to one of the catamaran websites, and they say 2 and under are free... I should preface this by saying that neither my sister nor I are interested in leaving our children on the ship, they'll be coming with us.

Thanks!

Castaway Cay is a beach day---there's really no need to spend money on an "excursion" there. Just have a fun, relaxing day at the beach! There's plenty to do that won't cost you! Most is included in your fare already! There's a kids area, a family area and an adult area.

Go to the port of call boards....check out the private excursion in St. Thomas and St. Maarten....there may be companies that will allow the toddler to come...although you'd have to take turns watching them....

Whatever excursions you book make sure you factor into car seats. I will be in St. Martin and St Thomas in January and we decided just to walk around and shop. Car seats are not always easy to put in vehicles in the carribean and I wont go anywhere without car seats, especially the way people drive down there. The snorkelling at castaway cay is great! Just enjoy the beach.

We love going to Coral World in St. Thomas. There is a small zoo in St. Maarten and we took a taxi to both. I'm sure the issue with the excursion is that the 2 year old can't snorkel and the system isn't allowing the baby to stay on the boat while the adults take turns.

The car seat issue is a personal choice and certainly something to consider. They do drive nuts and most vehicles don't have seat belts even if you did bring your own car seat. If you want to try and stay as safe as possible stay on the side of St. Maarten your ship is on. I do remember that trip to the other side was a bit treacherous.

St. Maarten has a nearby beach... simply take the cruise shuttle the short distance into town. The Great Bay beach is right there. St. Thomas has several snorkeling tours that take off from the cruise pier... perhaps research an independent tour if you want to take your little one. They might be more accommodating. Or take a ferry to St. John?

My kids (5 and 11) loved the island tour that we booked independently with Henry @ EEE tours. He even took us to his house and gave us fresh bananas off his tree, and a coconut that he cut down and cracked open. He also took us to a local radio station and my kids got to say "Hello St. Thomas!" on the air and take a recording home!

In St. Martin, we had planned Captain Alan's 3 island snorkel...but due to Bill, we were unable to dock. I would still love to try that tour.

Archived