NCL' private island

LaurieCM

All posters who have cruised recently have stated that none of NCL's fleet have been able to stop at their private island- anyone been there in the last month? What's the problem? If it is a seasonal/weather problem, why do they have it scheduled at all?:confused:

We stopped there on the Sky as well in October. It was hot hot hot when we were there. Plenty of chairs if you walk over to the smaller beach on the right side. Water was pretty cloudy, so I would think that snorkeling would be less than ideal. We visited Coco Cay (right next door) in 2005 on Royal Caribbean cruise, and I think that island is nicer.

And how was it?? Lots of lounges? Lots of chairs? Good snorkling? :confused:

If you don't go over early, you won't get a lounger. I went by myself on the 2nd or 3rd run over and had no problems getting a chair. I wasn't interested in a lounger.

The snorkeling is okay, but nothing to write home about. If you're looking for a memorable snorkeling experience, you should take an excursion from Freeport. I missed my Freeport excursion due to bad weather, so Great Stirrup Cay was all I had. It was better than nothing.

Overall, I had a very enjoyable day. It gets crowded, but the crowd is laid back, and you don't hear 1000 radios blasting 1000 bad songs. We went in April, and had crystal clear, warm water. No jellyfish. Jellyfish come and go anywhere. I certainly believe the previous poster ran into jellyfish. But his is the only account I've heard of it at GSC, so I *assume* it's not a big problem (??)

The "main" beach is to the left as you get off the tender. That is also where the snorkeling is. If you want less of a crowd, instead go the right as you get off the tender. The beach to the right is more rocky, and not as nice, but it is less crowded, and easier to get a lounger.

The best snorkeling is straight out from the main beach. There is a huge rock, with the end of a natural jetty or reef next to it. The water depth goes from a few feet to about 20 feet quickly there. There are more, and larger fish there. In the shallow area, float over the large rocks on the bottom, and look closely. You'll some interesting things that you would miss if you swim over them without stopping.

• 8 months later...
If you don't go over early, you won't get a lounger. I went by myself on the 2nd or 3rd run over and had no problems getting a chair. I wasn't interested in a lounger.

The snorkeling is okay, but nothing to write home about. If you're looking for a memorable snorkeling experience, you should take an excursion from Freeport. I missed my Freeport excursion due to bad weather, so Great Stirrup Cay was all I had. It was better than nothing.

Overall, I had a very enjoyable day. It gets crowded, but the crowd is laid back, and you don't hear 1000 radios blasting 1000 bad songs. We went in April, and had crystal clear, warm water. No jellyfish. Jellyfish come and go anywhere. I certainly believe the previous poster ran into jellyfish. But his is the only account I've heard of it at GSC, so I *assume* it's not a big problem (??)

The "main" beach is to the left as you get off the tender. That is also where the snorkeling is. If you want less of a crowd, instead go the right as you get off the tender. The beach to the right is more rocky, and not as nice, but it is less crowded, and easier to get a lounger.

The best snorkeling is straight out from the main beach. There is a huge rock, with the end of a natural jetty or reef next to it. The water depth goes from a few feet to about 20 feet quickly there. There are more, and larger fish there. In the shallow area, float over the large rocks on the bottom, and look closely. You'll some interesting things that you would miss if you swim over them without stopping.

What differernt types of chairs do they have?

Thanks Linda

Archived