Question about Travel Insurance

Chacooe

I was wondering, if you have to cancel your cruise and you have already paid for a hotel room, does your travel insurance cover that loss as well? I don't think I have seen any mention of hotel/motel rooms.

It really depends on what insurance you have. If you have non-cruise insurance and the policy covers it then yes. There are many threads on here regarding insurance, trying searching these and see if they answer your specific questions.

If you've canceled your cruise for a covered reason under the insurance plan you purchased and included the cost of your hotel in the total cost of your vacation then yes, any non refundable portion of your hotel room will be covered. If the cost of your hotel wasn't included in the total cost of the vacation you will not be covered.

Hotels generally don't require you to pay up front. However they do have a cancellation policy that requires you to notify them within 24hrs or whatever that you are cancelling.

Having said that, I have seen specials on Travelocity that do want all the $$ up front, so there are exceptions.

Travel insurance policies vary widely, depending on what factors you added in. There is no "one size fits all". If you bought your insurance through the cruise company, it's likely that it doesn't cover hotels and such. But if you bought it independently, and added on that provision, then it will.

Also check the hotel's cancellation policy. Sometimes it's just 24 hours, other times non-cancellable.

I was wondering, if you have to cancel your cruise and you have already paid for a hotel room, does your travel insurance cover that loss as well? I don't think I have seen any mention of hotel/motel rooms.

the Cruiseline's Policy would only cover the Hotel if it was part of a Pre or Post Cruise Package purchased thru the Cruiseline.

third Party Policies would cover the non-refundable hotel cancellation costs if you added them minto the total amount that you insured for (for instance CruiseFare + AirFare + Hotels).

In both cases, only if you're cancelling for covered reasons.

ken

If you've canceled your cruise for a covered reason under the insurance plan you purchased and included the cost of your hotel in the total cost of your vacation then yes, any non refundable portion of your hotel room will be covered. If the cost of your hotel wasn't included in the total cost of the vacation you will not be covered.

Many, many cruisers over-insure when figuring hotel rooms in with the total trip cost to be insured -- especially Europe/Med sailing where they may have several nights hotel rooms before or after the cruise or both.

When booking hotel rooms be sure to find out exactly what the cancellation penalties are -- especially what they do if you're a "no show". You'd like to think that if you have to cancel you could just call the hotel 24 - 48 hours prior to your scheduled arrival and avoid penalties altogether. But if you're canceling at the last minute due to some medical emergency it's very easy to forget to call the hotel to cancel. If you're booking five nights hotels in London prior to your Baltic cruise at $300/night and maybe the hotel at worst would only charge you one night's rate even if you're a no-show it would be a waste of money to insure $1500. The absolute most you'd want to insure is $300.

Archived