First Holland America cruise review

sabled62

Just returned from the Westerdam and was totally amazed at the difference between this line and our former favorite. Embarkation was a breeze with no waiting in line at all. Of course it was around 2:00 PM and I guess almost everyone was all ready on board.

The ship was spotless and our room was immaculate. We have never received such fantastic service on any ship as we did on the Westerdam. Every worker on the ship from our waiter to the men cleaning the rails greeted us with a good morning sir or are you enjoying your cruise maam.

The food in the main dining room was excellent. Once learning where everything was in the Lido restaurant, we enjoyed breakfast there everyday. The waffles and eggs benedict were quite a surprise to see in the Lido and they were really good.

Our morning coffee was delivered right on time and room service was knocking on our door within 15 minutes of making an order. This is a major difference that we were not used to, but really appreciated.

Our room was cleaned at least twice a day, if not more. When I say cleaned, I mean it was spotless everytime we entered.

The shows were good and enjoyable.

Debarkation went so smoothly-no announcements-no lines-our luggage was all together in one spot-porters were right there to take us wherever we were going. Another major difference from any other line.

A disappointment was that we could not get to Half Moon Cay because of the wind - but we will get there next time!!!!

Now the downsides - people taking a towel and putting it on a lounge chair and then disappearing. We sat at a table and timed two chairs that were empty for over an hour. We left before anyone took those lounges. Good point - one morning we were standing in back of two lounges with rolled up towels on them when a worker went by and asked if we wanted those lounges as he started to remove the towels. We stopped him as we were going to a table, but thanked him for his service.

Another downside is people who don't read signs or just ignore them as there were many children in the hot tubs alone with no parents around.

As far as we were concerned there isn't much a cruise line could have done better to make a cruise more enjoyable.

I Love great reviews of my favorite ship!! And this is no exception!!!

It is good to hear she is continuing to give the great service she is known for!!!

Westerdam is ALL Mine in 45 days!!:D (I wish) :D

Do have a question for you... Do you have any photos and comments that you'd like to share on the HAL staterooms/Cabins pages?? I and other CC'rs would sure appreciate it:)

Joanie

Welcome home.

Glad you had a great cruise.

Sorry that you did not get to stop at HMC.

By the way -- a towel neatly rolled on a chair -- the deck staff do that early in the morning so that people will have a towel to use when they sit in the lounge chair -- one of the nice things HAL do for the pool people.

Archived