NCL Gem 12/12/09

RONO

Gee I was really believing the Op and NJ Mom until this. They were really making some valid points (heavy sarcasm) until the facts showed up. I guess there is really nothing else to say regarding this matter.

P.S. Did the NJ Mom really want someone to sanitize the entire table after each use and have someone in each elevator 24 hours a day spraying the elevator button after each person pressed the button? WOW!

If you don't think this is necessary, you probably don't think having crew serve food and beverages and sanitize hand entering/departing dining areas either. @@

First' date=' you want them to "park" the ship and sanitize it. Now you want elevator operators. How many crew members is that going to tie up. let's see 10 decks, 3 elevator towers, at least 2 operators per floor ( to do it properly there should be 1 per elevator so no passenger can accidently operate the elevator). That is 60 crew members (or 120 if you do it properly) attending to the elevators and this would have to be 24 hrs a day so assume an 8 hour shift that is 180 crew members (or 360 if you do it properly) are tied up attending to the elevators. Now, what about their normal duties, aren't they already working 10+ hour days. :eek:[/color']

PE

for you @@. Just think, you can cruise all year, get paid for it, and be the authority on how to contain Noro!

If the ship was in a "red alert", there should be crew members in charge operating elevators (just like the beverage stations) so people's dirty hands are not all over common areas.

This statement is completely absurd. You don't eat in the elevators do you? How about having someone posted at every door so no one touches a handle or knob. Maybe they should have a crew member posted for each cabin so no one has to touch a light switch. You are asking the impossible. You need to take responsibility for your own personal hygeine at some point during your cruise.

Look, I'm about as schooled as anyone can be regarding infection control. But no matter what I say (or anyone else for that matter) you are going to disagree with it.

I do wish you would have shared a bit more with me regarding your thoughts and ideas regarding NCL's negligence and/or ways you feel they could improve infection control policies and procedures before, during and after an outbreak. But you only respond with "I'm not going to discuss this..." so I think it's just a moot point.

I do sincerely wish you and your family the best in the coming year. Hope your next cruise is fantastic but please just remember one thing...all cruise ships carry the potential for an outbreak. Take care and happy sailing in the future.

:)

This statement is completely absurd. You don't eat in the elevators do you? How about having someone posted at every door so no one touches a handle or knob. Maybe they should have a crew member posted for each cabin so no one has to touch a light switch. You are asking the impossible. You need to take responsibility for your own personal hygeine at some point during your cruise.

Look, I'm about as schooled as anyone can be regarding infection control. But no matter what I say (or anyone else for that matter) you are going to disagree with it.

I do wish you would have shared a bit more with me regarding your thoughts and ideas regarding NCL's negligence and/or ways you feel they could improve infection control policies and procedures before, during and after an outbreak. But you only respond with "I'm not going to discuss this..." so I think it's just a moot point.

I do sincerely wish you and your family the best in the coming year. Hope your next cruise is fantastic but please just remember one thing...all cruise ships carry the potential for an outbreak. Take care and happy sailing in the future.

and the same back to you.

for you @@. Just think, you can cruise all year, get paid for it, and be the authority on how to contain Noro!

Can you not answer anything? Or does everything have to be some snide remark. The CDC reports have been posted here and you have no response to that. I ask a simple question about staffing in response to your comment about elevator buttons and you come back with this.

What exactly are you here trying to prove???

PE

Can you not answer anything? OrI'v does everything have to be some snide remark. The CDC reports have been posted here and you have no response to that. I ask a simple question about staffing in response to your comment about elevator buttons and you come back with this.

What exactly are you here trying to prove???

PE

and none with the inciteful, mocking, and rude tone like has been directed my way. Go read your own past posts before you point any fingers.

I don't think the CDC numbers are complete yet.

I'm not trying to prove anything.

Don't like my posts? Isn't there an ignore button somewhere so you don't have to be burdened by reading my post?

Actually the CDC are NCL employees.

You mean two of us on here knew this. I thought I was the only one. We may as well bring everything out into the open. Only NCL ships get norovirus onboard but since NCL controls the CDC and under reports by 99.9% no NCL ship ever appears in their stats.

I recieved an additional response

RE: NCL Gem

Wed, December 30, 2009 5:13:51 PMFrom:Vessel Sanitation (CDC) <vsp@cdc.gov>

Add to ContactsTo:CDC-INFO <CDC-INFO@cdc.gov>;

Mr. Meyer,

For the past 3 cruises (embarkation dates of 11/29, 12/12, and 12/19)

the Norwegian Gem has reported an elevated numbers of gastrointestinal

illness onboard, but the numbers have not reached the 3% threshold to

meet the definition of an outbreak in the Vessel Sanitation Program

Operations Manual. We have been in contact with the NY Department of

Health and Norwegian Cruise Lines. Please note that the numbers

reported by the vessel only include passengers and crew members that

report to medical during the cruise.

Best regards,

Vessel Sanitation Program

Sid,

will you please refrain from confusing the issue with facts. It is never a good thread when facts are posted. I implore you to desist and allow folks to continue on their misguided way.

Thanks Sid...

Sounds like "I saw a lot of folks sick" might need to be substantiated (and if it is, IMO, NCL may have some 'explaining' to do--and if it can't be, this may all be a lot of ado about nothing)

If people were seeing a lot of folks who were sick then I think we all know how the virus got moved around the ship so easily.

Of course had they reported their illness to medical they would have been quarantined and NOT seen out and about by others.

Let's not forget here PE, once the pax get off said elevators they might be going to their cabins. I want at least one crew member station outside every stateroom so passengers won't have to touch the door handles.

Of course I then want a crew showering me, brushing my teeth, and wiping my a*s. Otherwise NCL is totally incompetent at handling noro issues and are definitely hiding things.

Heck you beat me to it. I wanted to say that!

Sid,

will you please refrain from confusing the issue with facts. It is never a good thread when facts are posted. I implore you to desist and allow folks to continue on their misguided way.

Thanks for the chuckle mypleasure. You need to post more often

How about stopping the name calling? I have not been disrespectful to anyone here, including you.

Too bad if you don't like that I had a terrible cruise. Don't think I"ve explained enough to you? Too bad - I've explained to the people who matter in my circumstance, not an internet bully.

I hope you realize that you are name calling and being disrespectful all in this same post.

If you choose to cruise during "flu season" you may get sick. You have no one to blame except yourself. NCL didn't drag you onto the ship any more than they will be dragging me on in two weeks. I choose to cruise now to escape the cold. If I get sick, it's not NCL's fault.

and none with the inciteful, mocking, and rude tone like has been directed my way. Go read your own past posts before you point any fingers.

I don't think the CDC numbers are complete yet.

I'm not trying to prove anything.

Don't like my posts? Isn't there an ignore button somewhere so you don't have to be burdened by reading my post?

This is the best you can come up with? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Here's how the system works. Every single voyage the captain gets a list of all onboard who are sick with any GI related illness, he (or someone doing it on his bbehave) submits it to the CDC electronically.

Everyone who went to see the doc with GI issues is on that list. CDC gets this first hand information and does whatever it is that they do with said information.

The list CDC get is final. There might be more people sick than the list states, but these people didn't go see the ship doctor. I'm sure you would lay blame on NCL regarding these inconsiderate people though, afterall NCL should be monitoring what every passenger does in their stateroom right?

You are getting the responses you are getting because of your own postings. People were reasonable, polite, and sympathetic to you but you refused to listen to anybody.

I'd advise that you adhere to your own words here:

Go read your own past posts before you point any fingers.

I hope you realize that you are name calling and being disrespectful all in this same post.

If you choose to cruise during "flu season" you may get sick. You have no one to blame except yourself. NCL didn't drag you onto the ship any more than they will be dragging me on in two weeks. I choose to cruise now to escape the cold. If I get sick, it's not NCL's fault.

what grade do you teach?

Enjoy your flu season cruise too!:D

I too would like to hear some of the ideas on how infection control could be better in view of the fact that it appears that less than 3% of passengers were affected as per CDC in the email to S Meyer and the other 97% were not. Parking the ship and ruining it for the 97% unaffected would be a great way to start a riot. Let us all hear something worth thinking and talking through. Until then I will continue to accept responsibility for how my own actions can affect my own and others health whether about my daily business or on a cruise.

Archived